The Student Room Group

How would I link it in? (The Great Gatsby English lit AS)

Any advice from people doing The Great gatsby would be appreciated a lot!:smile: so for some revision notes, I've started doing about the Jazz age/ prohibition etc (basically the background of 1920's) but I don't know how I would link it in to the question? For example if the question is about Nick or Tom how would I write about the Jazz age??:frown: this is a key reason that's holding me back in my exams, I am no good at linking in background knowledge, please can someone explain how?

Sorry for any spelling errors, I'm desperate for answers! :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Bumppppppppppppp
Reply 3
Original post by Pedrex
Any advice from people doing The Great gatsby would be appreciated a lot!:smile: so for some revision notes, I've started doing about the Jazz age/ prohibition etc (basically the background of 1920's) but I don't know how I would link it in to the question? For example if the question is about Nick or Tom how would I write about the Jazz age??:frown: this is a key reason that's holding me back in my exams, I am no good at linking in background knowledge, please can someone explain how?

Sorry for any spelling errors, I'm desperate for answers! :smile:

Do yoou have any notes on the 1920s.
If you was suppose to link i back ohe question you start of wit a topi sentence of the great gatsby and link it to th 1920s era, i think its like hat ill find out more
I'm in year 13 but doing TGG as well. AO3 is all about linking context to the question, and when using context, it should be relevant, rather than just 'thrown in' as you have asked. My advice would be having enough knowledge that you can adapt it to any situation. If you are doing the same spec as me (love through the ages) then the question will focus on a theme rather than exact characters, so base your knowledge around themes. But if you need knowledge for characters, Nick: A typical man in the jazz age- look up the characteristics of this archetype. Perhaps also unreliable narrator with Nick, but that is more AO4. With Tom, you could look at the significance of old/new money in relation to the divide of East/West Egg, or even the role that cars played at the time (cars used as an extension of masculinity and wealth) etc. Hope I could help.
Reply 5
Original post by dylan_kadiwar
I'm in year 13 but doing TGG as well. AO3 is all about linking context to the question, and when using context, it should be relevant, rather than just 'thrown in' as you have asked. My advice would be having enough knowledge that you can adapt it to any situation. If you are doing the same spec as me (love through the ages) then the question will focus on a theme rather than exact characters, so base your knowledge around themes. But if you need knowledge for characters, Nick: A typical man in the jazz age- look up the characteristics of this archetype. Perhaps also unreliable narrator with Nick, but that is more AO4. With Tom, you could look at the significance of old/new money in relation to the divide of East/West Egg, or even the role that cars played at the time (cars used as an extension of masculinity and wealth) etc. Hope I could help.

Thanks for the advice! :smile: and the type of questions I'm doing are for example " explore the view it is hard to say who is most victimised" and "explore the view Gatsby has the greatness to be a tragic hero" - not the exact questions but that's the basics of them. What would you say I should focus on in these type's of question? I'm guessing specific characters rather than themes?

Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Pedrex
Thanks for the advice! :smile: and the type of questions I'm doing are for example " explore the view it is hard to say who is most victimised" and "explore the view Gatsby has the greatness to be a tragic hero" - not the exact questions but that's the basics of them. What would you say I should focus on in these type's of question? I'm guessing specific characters rather than themes?

Yes, focus on specific characters that you believe fit in that 'view' more but do not leave out themes. The characters are associated with many themes in TGG so there would be a reason why they are the 'most victimised' or 'tragic hero' due to the theme(s) presented in the novel.
Original post by Pedrex

No problem. Yeah your spec seems quite different to mine, so I don't want to give you advice on something I know very little about, but the questions definitely indicate more focus on the characters from what you sent, so I would go with that bud.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending