The Student Room Group

What is Marine Biology useful for?

So Southampton has a Foundation Year where you can choose one of 10 different courses, and although Marine Biology has really caught my attention lately, I don't want to do a "useless" degree.

Useless in this context being one that won't let me do anything scientific (is postgrad Biology possible?) and will set me up to work in ASDA for life.

Just want to know thoughts on what you can do with it, and if it's worth the time and £36,000+ in fees.
It is useful for being a marine biologist. It is a competitive field though, so you need to stand out to get anywhere (relevant experience on top of good marks). Those I know in marine biology seem to spend their time travelling to exotic locations to do fieldwork, so it seems quite a sweet deal if you can make it.

Otherwise it is just another degree. However the choice of working in Asda or a better field is not about your choice of degree, but about you being able to demonstrate you aren't a complete doughnut.
Original post by Quantex
It is useful for being a marine biologist. It is a competitive field though, so you need to stand out to get anywhere (relevant experience on top of good marks). Those I know in marine biology seem to spend their time travelling to exotic locations to do fieldwork, so it seems quite a sweet deal if you can make it.

Otherwise it is just another degree. However the choice of working in Asda or a better field is not about your choice of degree, but about you being able to demonstrate you aren't a complete doughnut.

I'd definitely like that, but I'm aware of the difficulty in it. I hear Southampton is one of the world's best places to study it, so I'd imagine they have a few career guidance things.

Thank you for that second part - honestly I've been stuck for choice with just about every degree under the sun, thinking it's a massive choice. I don't suppose you know if postgraduate Biology is an option in case things don't work out? I do enjoy regular, it's just something about the ocean I can't explain. Also the fact I have a jellyfish in my room. :lol:
Original post by SkyRees
I'd definitely like that, but I'm aware of the difficulty in it. I hear Southampton is one of the world's best places to study it, so I'd imagine they have a few career guidance things.

Thank you for that second part - honestly I've been stuck for choice with just about every degree under the sun, thinking it's a massive choice. I don't suppose you know if postgraduate Biology is an option in case things don't work out? I do enjoy regular, it's just something about the ocean I can't explain. Also the fact I have a jellyfish in my room. :lol:

Yes, there is enough common ground in terms of content and basic lab skills for transitioning from one area of biology to another to be quite common. For example, I know a someone with a zoology degree doing a PhD in cancer research. The only real pitfall is doing a degree with limited relevant content to any postgraduate choice, for example doing loads of ecology and animal behaviour modules at undergraduate but wanting to apply for molecular biology at postgrad.
Original post by Quantex
Yes, there is enough common ground in terms of content and basic lab skills for transitioning from one area of biology to another to be quite common. For example, I know a someone with a zoology degree doing a PhD in cancer research. The only real pitfall is doing a degree with limited relevant content to any postgraduate choice, for example doing loads of ecology and animal behaviour modules at undergraduate but wanting to apply for molecular biology at postgrad.

That's relieving, thank you. I don't really have a specific area of Biology in mind, so I suppose it's better to just be open with my options. Or at the least not do too many marine-specific.

Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by SkyRees
Just want to know thoughts on what you can do with it, and if it's worth the time and £36,000+ in fees.

I could be wrong, but aren't you from Wales? :holmes: If so, the figure would be much less than that, if that makes any difference at all to your decision-making.
Original post by Hydeman
I could be wrong, but aren't you from Wales? :holmes: If so, the figure would be much less than that, if that makes any difference at all to your decision-making.

Doing some stalking, are we? I'm flattered :wink:
I am, but I've lived in England for 15 years. So unfortunately I don't get the benefit of cheaper fees :moon:
Fees aren't really what I'm concerned about, I know it'll cost a boatload regardless :lol:
Original post by SkyRees
Doing some stalking, are we? I'm flattered :wink:
I am, but I've lived in England for 15 years. So unfortunately I don't get the benefit of cheaper fees :moon:
Fees aren't really what I'm concerned about, I know it'll cost a boatload regardless :lol:

No, I just remembered that popular 'I'll translate anything into Welsh' thread you made. :rofl:
Ah, rats. :moon:
Original post by Hydeman
No, I just remembered that popular 'I'll translate anything into Welsh' thread you made. :rofl:
Ah, rats. :moon:

Nice going, even I forgot about that :rofl: God, I'm gonna be the worst person at uni. I do all my notes in Welsh so if they want to copy them, they're gonna need to crack open Google Translate :rofl:

Thank you anyway ;-; Uni is something I just accepted really early on that it was gonna cost me the earth (or, erm, the sea).
Reply 9
Original post by username2110825
So Southampton has a Foundation Year where you can choose one of 10 different courses, and although Marine Biology has really caught my attention lately, I don't want to do a "useless" degree.

Useless in this context being one that won't let me do anything scientific (is postgrad Biology possible?) and will set me up to work in ASDA for life.

hey! i know it's been a while, just wondering what did you end up doing? did you study marine bio at Southampton? I'm thinking about it but the job prospects really scare me but i don't see myself doing any other degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending