The Student Room Group

Surrey or Nottingham?

Hi!

I currently have offers for Surrey, Nottingham and Bristol for vet med and am struggling on which to firm/put as my insurance.

My favourites are Surrey and Notts so it's out of those two for me! They both have offered the same grades so it's literally just personal preference now:

- What i'm concerned about with Notts is the location and the fact Sutton Bonington is just vet/sciencey students. Apart from that everyone seems to rave about it!
- Surrey worries me because it is relatively new and so I just don't know what to expect as there's no student satisfaction or employment prospect stats out there, also pretty much every student I spoke to went there as it was their only offer (which I understand as it was an even newer course for them) so I couldn't really ask the question 'why surrey?'. I do love the location though and the fact vets seem to be more integrated with other uni students.

If any current students could give me an insight into why they picked what they did and if they are glad they did or let me know what they think of my concerns that would be amazing!
Also if there's any qualified vets who have an opinion on either uni and the employability prospects after I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch :smile:
NOTTINGHAM!!
NOTTINGHAM!!
NOTTINGHAM!!
It's part of the Russell group and is a well-esteemed university, not to mention the locations, living costs etc, they also have tremendous amounts of support for their students in moral, advice and financial.
Congratulations. :smile:

However at the end of the day it's where you're going to be happy that matters, try open days if you need to revisit/visit them. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by katierebekah
NOTTINGHAM!!
NOTTINGHAM!!
NOTTINGHAM!!
It's part of the Russell group and is a well-esteemed university, not to mention the locations, living costs etc, they also have tremendous amounts of support for their students in moral, advice and financial.
Congratulations. :smile:

However at the end of the day it's where you're going to be happy that matters, try open days if you need to revisit/visit them. :smile:

Thanks so much for replying! :smile: That's really interesting to hear... are you a current Nottingham vet med student??
Original post by tabbytigger
Thanks so much for replying! :smile: That's really interesting to hear... are you a current Nottingham vet med student??

I am currently looking at Nottingham as one of my uni options but for law, I have visited and I have a friend who would like to do vet med there.
My cousin's friend also goes there but I believe she studies English lit with Lang.
☺️
I went to Nottingham Uni but I live not too far away. Interestingly my step-niece is considering Nottingham for vet med and my sister asked me to tell her what it was like, I think I did a pretty good sales strategy on it! (Disclaimer- I didn't do vet med I did (human) nursing but I know the campus and the area pretty well.
Sutton Bonington isn't actually as isolated as you think. There is a bus service to the main campus and from the main campus you have excellent links to the city. Also Sutton Bonington is very near East Midlands Airport and as well as the obvious you've got coach links all over the country and local buses to Loughborough, Derby, Leicester and Nottingham.
Going on what my sister says, her and my step niece have done their homework on it and it is very well regarded for vet med. The campus is in lovely countryside and I would have thought that gives a good surrounding to be studying in.
I believe Notts is my step nieces current first choice although I have no idea why! (Not in a bad way- I honestly don't know why she's favouring it so much!)
I am reasonably local so if you have any other questions on the area I can try to help 😊
Hi!

I currently have offers for Surrey, Nottingham and Bristol for vet med and am struggling on which to firm/put as my insurance.

My favourites are Surrey and Notts so it's out of those two for me! They both have offered the same grades so it's literally just personal preference now:

- What i'm concerned about with Notts is the location and the fact Sutton Bonington is just vet/sciencey students. Apart from that everyone seems to rave about it!
- Surrey worries me because it is relatively new and so I just don't know what to expect as there's no student satisfaction or employment prospect stats out there, also pretty much every student I spoke to went there as it was their only offer (which I understand as it was an even newer course for them) so I couldn't really ask the question 'why surrey?'. I do love the location though and the fact vets seem to be more integrated with other uni students.

If any current students could give me an insight into why they picked what they did and if they are glad they did or let me know what they think of my concerns that would be amazing!
Also if there's any qualified vets who have an opinion on either uni and the employability prospects after I would really appreciate it.

You'll get a job from either uni. Nottingham already has an established rep, but that doesn't necessarily give you better prospects.

Nottingham is great - no matter what uni you're at, chances are you'll graduate towards other vets as our course is somewhat different to nearly all others. That said it can feel at times a bit too small and cliquey. Transport links to UP and loughborough are good for a night out and taxis back are relatively cheap.

If you have anymore qs about Notts, let me know :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Well done on getting three offers!
Honestly both would be a good choice, since the Surrey course is actually based off of the Nottingham one so they'd be relatively similar in terms of practical focus and skills taught. And it's practically guaranteed that Surrey will get full accreditation by the RCVS so there's no worry about that. However, I would suggest choosing Nottingham over Surrey. This is because you know what to expect from Nottingham, and it's really good. It has one of the highest student satisfaction ratings of all the vet schools, and one of the highest in terms of employment prospects.

In addition, since it's already established they have really good links with vet practices and farmers which will help with EMS (work experience) and final year practical rotation. They've also gone through a lot of trial and error, so know what works and what does not when giving teaching, lectures, practical classes etc as well as how best to support the students emotionally. Nottingham vet school has a very good support system in place. Surrey might still be like a broken cog for a few years, still trying to work out the kinks of its course and what works best.

You shouldn't be too worried about the location of the SB campus. It's true that it's all science students, but honestly you wouldn't notice the difference between those and students from other courses. I'm not sure what you think will be different about only having Bioscience and Vet students on the campus, but it's not something you need to worry about it. The bioscience students (and vets tbh :P) are just as likely to go out into nottingham to drink and club until 5pm as any other course at the university. And the intensity of most bioscience course is the same as many other courses on main campus, so you don't need to worry about everyone just studying and doing nothing else (that's the vet students' job...)

There are free shuttle buses between the main nottingham campus and SB every 20-30 minutes on weekdays, and on weekends the shuttle bus goes straight to town centre. On weekdays you only need to transfer to a £1 bus to get into town, and the bustop is right next to the one for the shuttlebus, so it's not trouble. I have a society on the main campus every Monday, and have no problem getting there. So it's not as isolated as it seems.

I hope this helped to make your decision. I might be biased since I'm a nottingham student and don't know a lot about surrey. But from experience nottingham is great :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi!

where did you end up going?
Reply 8
Original post by Rory0007
where did you end up going?

I put Surrey as my firm but deferred so am going next year!

Did they let you defer? I applied there too hoping to defer as well but on their website it says they do not allow deferred entry...
I was only able to defer on medical grounds, I have some health issues which prevented me going this year. They don't let you defer otherwise unfortunately :frown:

Good choice, im a bit late for this, but a few students in first year at Surrey this year put Surrey as their first choice, I even know of students who rejected other vet school offers to go to Surrey.
You’ll love it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending