The Student Room Group

Which university for English Literature ?

Hi!
I’m going into Year 13 this September and i’m really struggling on where to apply!! I can go to any University in the UK besides UOB or Warwick (too close to home I want to move out)

I need to know some good English Literature unis I have listed Cambridge, Durham, Exeter and Surrey as options but I need some more help… I’m really struggling with other options - Edinburgh and St Ands is out of the question as their entry requirements are the same as my first two.

Anyone know any really good universities for English Literature in the UK?
Original post by ryusang
Hi!
I’m going into Year 13 this September and i’m really struggling on where to apply!! I can go to any University in the UK besides UOB or Warwick (too close to home I want to move out)

I need to know some good English Literature unis I have listed Cambridge, Durham, Exeter and Surrey as options but I need some more help… I’m really struggling with other options - Edinburgh and St Ands is out of the question as their entry requirements are the same as my first two.

York, UCL, and Nottingham all have very strong English departments. Stronger than Surrey and Exeter for that matter.

Note you only need one or two choices with lower entry criteria as a backup. As at the end of the day you only need one insurance choice, and most at those lower ends of the entry criteria grades are often available in clearing anyway as English lit is a somewhat less popular degree anyway.
Original post by ryusang
Hi!

You could consider this set

Cambridge
Durham
Nottingham
Surrey
Southampton
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
York, UCL, and Nottingham all have very strong English departments. Stronger than Surrey and Exeter for that matter.

Note you only need one or two choices with lower entry criteria as a backup. As at the end of the day you only need one insurance choice, and most at those lower ends of the entry criteria grades are often available in clearing anyway as English lit is a somewhat less popular degree anyway.

Thank you so much! I was unsure about York as I don’t know if I like the city and UCL is out of the question as it’s a City campus. I’ll definitely check out Notts and maybe look into York more! The reason I liked Exeter and Surrey is due to location - i’m kinda fussy with where I want to study haha.

Thank you again! I really appreciate it.
Reply 4
Original post by Wired_1800
You could consider this set

Cambridge
Durham
Nottingham
Surrey
Southampton

This seems like a wonderful lineup! I’ll definitely make sure to check out Notts and Southampton as I haven’t seen much about either for English Lit as of yet. I have heard good things about Nottingham uni and I do like the city quite a lot!

Thank you so much! Have a good day.
Original post by ryusang
Thank you so much! I was unsure about York as I don’t know if I like the city and UCL is out of the question as it’s a City campus. I’ll definitely check out Notts and maybe look into York more! The reason I liked Exeter and Surrey is due to location - i’m kinda fussy with where I want to study haha.

Thank you again! I really appreciate it.

Cambridge is also a city campus uni though.
Hi,

Although rankings definitely aren't the be all and end all, have you tried looking at tables such as the Guardian's university rankings or the complete university guide? You can then do some research into the modules offered at some of the listed institutions and see which ones fit best with your interests. This can help you filter down which universities you'd like to visit for either in person or virtual open days, which is definitely important, especially if the environment/location you're studying in matters a lot to you.

One of my flatmates from first year studies English Literature at Lancaster and really enjoys it so I've added a link below in case you're interested. Lancaster is a campus uni in the north-west situated really close to both the Lake District and cities like Manchester and Liverpool. I've had an amazing time there so far and would definitely recommend it.
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/english-literature-ba-hons-q300/2024/

Hope this helps,
Becky
(Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Cambridge is also a city campus uni though.

Ah sorry! I mean more like central London I am really not a fan of! I have visited both and definitely loved Cambridge a lot more and the accommodation etc! UCL just isn’t my vibe!
Original post by ryusang
Ah sorry! I mean more like central London I am really not a fan of! I have visited both and definitely loved Cambridge a lot more and the accommodation etc! UCL just isn’t my vibe!

Fair enough :smile:

I am with you on Cambridge being a nice city :wink:
Original post by ryusang
Hi!

Hi,

I just graduated with First Class honours in English from the University of Southampton and I couldn't recommend it enough!

The academics are attentive and the way they teach is accessible and extremely engaging. The wide variety of modules means that you are guided (through a need to fulfil certain bands) in a manner that allows you to study literature from a wealth of periods, making the degree one that is recognised as academically rigorous.

Alongside lectures and seminars the English department also offers Learning Support Hours (known as LSHs) which is largely student led; LSHs are designed to give students the opportunity to highlight any issues they may be having with their studies which the academics can then address.

There are also lots of opportunities to study modules from different disciplines, I did some in Film, as well as being able to study a joint honours degree or take a minor. The English department are also closely associated with the English society, so there are good connections between the staff and student body.

Again, I have absolutely loved my time here and couldn't recommend it enough. If you do get a chance I would suggest you go to an open day, so you can get a real feel for the uni!

If you have any other questions, please do ask!

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep) :smile:
Original post by ryusang
Hi!

Hello,

It's exciting to explore universities and prepare for the next chapter of your life. I am a current Surrey student. While I did not study English Literature, my UG was in Modern Languages (French and Spanish), which is within the same department. We had some module cross-overs too. From personal experience and many of my friends studying the course, the lecturers are so passionate and friendly. You can view the module options here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/english-literature#structure

Please feel free to ask me any questions on student life, or general queries about the university :smile:

Thanks,
Best wishes,
Sam (she/her)
SLL Graduate
Original post by ryusang
Hi!

Hi!

So sad we are not on your list of potential universities, but I would definitely invite you to take a look at our programme: https://www.uos.ac.uk/study/ba-english/.
It's a really unique and blended course and while we may be a young University, our English department is very dedicated and just incredible! And I'm really not biased. According to The National Student Survey in 2021, they have 100% student satisfaction for the course. And we are 8th in the UK in Creative Writing, according to The Guardian.
Do take a look at the programme and our site in general. And if location is a deal breaker, I can say that Suffolk can offer so much! You have history, inspiring countryside landscapes, charming towns and in any case, London is only an hour away!

Good luck!
Milena 🙂
Creative and Critical Writing MA at Uni of Suffolk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending