The Student Room Group

Surrey vs Exeter for Law.

Hi, I am in year 13 and have got offers back from Exeter for Law with Business (LLB) and from Surrey for law (LLB). I love both but I recognise Exeter is perceived as being better out of the two. What I mainly wanted to know when it comes to employment post-uni, how much of an advantage would I really get from choosing Exeter over Surrey?

Reply 1
Original post by hsnsn
Hi, I am in year 13 and have got offers back from Exeter for Law with Business (LLB) and from Surrey for law (LLB). I love both but I recognise Exeter is perceived as being better out of the two. What I mainly wanted to know when it comes to employment post-uni, how much of an advantage would I really get from choosing Exeter over Surrey?

Which degree do you prefer?

Exeter is a far better place to live than Guildford ...
heard exeter is pretty good for Law, wouldnt say u get a 'huge' advantage for choosing exeter over Surrey but it may be more of a 'target' unit for law firms to set up events at. I think the main thing rn u should be debating is whether u wanna study Law with Business or merely Law, Law with business may be attractive if u wanna go into commercial law for example. depends on ur future aspirations
Original post by hsnsn

One word...Exeter!!! 😉
Reply 4
Exeter, law firms have a huge bias toward RG unis regardless of degree, see chambersstudents' guide on law firms' preferred universities 2019
Original post by MAKER12
Exeter, law firms have a huge bias toward RG unis regardless of degree, see chambersstudents' guide on law firms' preferred universities 2019

well I would disgaree to an extent, as someone studying law at a RG and going thru the process of applying to Vac schemes this year, I would not say there is a huge difference between going to a RG and going to a non RG uni, speaking to grad recruitment at linklaters or freshfields for example they often say the reason why it seems as if ppl think that is cus of the A level requirements to which those who don't attend RG can't reach therefore stats will show that only RG unis can get a Vac scheme or TC. A partner at freshfields went to nottingham trent, linklaters trainee went to royal holloway for example. OP, I would say Exeter is really good, I have friends who go there and currently getting interviews from law firms, but be careful on this RG, non RG debate.
Reply 6
Original post by hsnsn

Hi i've got an offer to study Law with Business too. What alevels do you do?
Original post by hsnsn

Hi @hsnsn
First of all, congratulations on receiving offers from Exeter and Surrey! It’s wonderful to hear that you are considering your options carefully.

At Surrey, we are proud to offer law students the opportunity to undertake a work placement year as part of their degree, which a lot of other law courses don't provide. We have a dedicated platform, Surrey Pathfinder, which connects students with over 2,300 partnered employers across the UK and globally! While many students can find placements through Pathfinder, you also have the ability to secure your own placement outside of the platform. I did this myself and the university were supportive in approving my placement.

Pathfinder also provides you with access to a variety of opportunities, besides placements, including insight weeks, summer internships and graduate roles. Throughout the year, the Employability and Careers team organise several career fairs, providing you with a valuable opportunity to network with potential employers. Our team are truly committed to supporting you in enhancing your employability; I can speak from experience. You can book 1-1 sessions with a careers advisor in order to receive more tailored support suited to you. They certainly supported me when it came to writing my CV and cover letters, on top of mock interviews and organising exclusive insight days.
As a result, our graduates are highly employable - with 95% of graduates in work or further study after graduation!

In addition to this, the location of Guildford is highly convenient for both student life and employer prospects. Our main campus, Stag Hill, is just a 10 minute walk from Guildford Station and a 15 minute walk from the town centre. With journeys to London taking just 35 minutes, you have access to the capital city, with one of the world’s largest job markets to launch your career.

You can find out more about the course and what you could do as a Surrey Law student here: Law LLB (Hons) degree course 2024 entry | University of Surrey. You can also read more about our students' experience on the course: What our students say | University of Surrey. Here’s a link to an Instagram reel from one of our students: 👩🏾*⚖️LAW AT SURREY👩🏾*⚖️ Find out more about my experience as a second year Law student - Olivia | Instagram

I hope this helps! Please do let me know if you have other questions I could help with.

All the best,
Daniel
BSc Accounting and Finance
University of Surrey
Reply 8
Original post by badb789
Hi i've got an offer to study Law with Business too. What alevels do you do?

I am studying English, Biology and Geography

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending