The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by heidiw21
The written part was hard, there was so much material! But managed to hash something together, the presentation and follow questions were okay, but the interview wasn't as I expected it to be (without giving too much away)
But I didn't apply for generalist, so don't have a backup - very much feeling like I should have done.

Yeah, I was told June at the FSB too. I emailed the GO science lady afterwards and she said it depends on how many applicants pass the FSAC as this will alter the number of FSBs required. She said depending on numbers we could find out as early as late April or as late as the end of June... I suppose it might be worth emailing her again in a couple of weeks to see if she has a better estimate now.

I think we all found the writing hard and not quite what we expected so maybe that provides some hope...?
Original post by Quaffle11
After double checking with parity, it turns out they CAN bank my result from last year's SAC (contrary to what the person on the phone said) so my pre-appointment checks have started and I'm (subject to the disclaimer) going to be on the stats fast stream!
Good look to everyone still with FSBs and ACs to go!

Fantastic, glad it all sorted itself out! :smile:
Has anybody done their SRAC? Not looking for any hints as, of course, that's unfair but just in general, how did you find it? Were there lots of candidates present? Did the three exercises happen in quick succession? How difficult did you find the stats exam and the information for the leadership/delivery exercise? Did you have two assessors for your interview as well?

Of course I'm not nervous or panicking 😂
Original post by AJ!123456
Yeah I think some people heard back pretty quick (within a few days), and others have had to wait a bit longer. EAC guide says a week, so that's what I'm hoping... had mine last Thursday! The wait is horrid... but good luck Heysunshine, and well done thefundragon!!

I had mine last Thursday too! Was yours in London? I hope we hear back soon, the wait gives me so much anxiety :s
Original post by Heysunshine
I had mine last Thursday too! Was yours in London? I hope we hear back soon, the wait gives me so much anxiety :s

I did mine on a Tuesday morning in Newcastle and found out results on Friday afternoon if that helps!
Original post by Heysunshine

Original post by SuperBanana24
I did mine on a Tuesday morning in Newcastle and found out results on Friday afternoon if that helps!

Heysunshine - yeah, London!
SuperBanana24 - thanks :smile:
I emailed Parity about the Generalist pass marks. "I am sorry but we have no further news other than what is on the homepage of the website."
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any info as to the how someone already in the CS should approach an offer for the FStream.

Basically is it easier for the pre-employment stage (ie what have you needed to do to ensure things are resolved quickly?). Surely somone cannot fail a higher level security clearance if already a civil servant (paranoid much...i so badly want this over quickly).

Secondly if your ideal plan is to take a break before joining the fast stream; do you leave first and start from afresh or is the only option to eat into your holiday...and does this carry over (omg so many issues)

Put simply are there any advantages from starting (segreagting the above formality part) as an existing Civil servant (pay wont be as im an O grade) rather than quitting and starting 'brand new'

Any advise will be great, as I told my G7 today about my offer and shall we say my transparency was matched by a deflated sense of staff importance and a belief that I am in for a tough couple of months. In all honesty I did it for courteosy and to allow alternative arrangements to be put in place within my department...regret it now.
Original post by enterunsername
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any info as to the how someone already in the CS should approach an offer for the FStream.

Basically is it easier for the pre-employment stage (ie what have you needed to do to ensure things are resolved quickly?). Surely somone cannot fail a higher level security clearance if already a civil servant (paranoid much...i so badly want this over quickly).

Secondly if your ideal plan is to take a break before joining the fast stream; do you leave first and start from afresh or is the only option to eat into your holiday...and does this carry over (omg so many issues)

Put simply are there any advantages from starting (segreagting the above formality part) as an existing Civil servant (pay wont be as im an O grade) rather than quitting and starting 'brand new'

Any advise will be great, as I told my G7 today about my offer and shall we say my transparency was matched by a deflated sense of staff importance and a belief that I am in for a tough couple of months. In all honesty I did it for courteosy and to allow alternative arrangements to be put in place within my department...regret it now.

I know that there is some information here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/training-and-development-opportunities-in-the-the-civil-service#join-the-fast-stream

It details how much of a break is possible in your employment with the civil service. I understand it to mean that we can take a break of up to 4 weeks. I tried to talk to parity about it but they were very unhelpful, I think I may have to wait until I can actually discuss with Civil Service Resourcing.

I'm fairly sure that the normal security checks for the Fast Stream are the same as the checks for the rest of the Civil Service, but HR here was so bad, I just sent them the information to do the checks again.

Also, you will already have applied under either the in service or external route. There were boxes to tick when you applied, so I don't think it is possible to change now.

What happened with the boss?
Reply 6049
Original post by RiffleChips
I emailed Parity about the Generalist pass marks. "I am sorry but we have no further news other than what is on the homepage of the website."

Someone earlier in this thread called them and they said that the pass marks will be set tomorrow but that we will hear the outcome of our applications on Tuesday... No idea why the outcomes aren't released at the same time as the pass marks.

Whenever I've emailed them I had no useful info but I'm noticed that calling them seems to be more productive for some reason. Fingers crossed they'll be true to their word this time and release the results asap!
Original post by RobHampster
I know that there is some information here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/training-and-development-opportunities-in-the-the-civil-service#join-the-fast-stream

It details how much of a break is possible in your employment with the civil service. I understand it to mean that we can take a break of up to 4 weeks. I tried to talk to parity about it but they were very unhelpful, I think I may have to wait until I can actually discuss with Civil Service Resourcing.

I'm fairly sure that the normal security checks for the Fast Stream are the same as the checks for the rest of the Civil Service, but HR here was so bad, I just sent them the information to do the checks again.

Also, you will already have applied under either the in service or external route. There were boxes to tick when you applied, so I don't think it is possible to change now.

What happened with the boss?

Thanks so much for the reply!

When I initially applied I was not a civil servant, it is only now when they have requested I send such details to their assignments team that they are becoming aware of my CS status, which happend a week after the FSAC. But your link was useful as it provides me with a warning; I better send of the pre-employment docs they asked for and not rely on the CS status as I am an O and didnt apply 'in service'; so that should mean they need to see my degree certificate!

When you mentioned HR did you mean Parity (most likely) or your current govt dept? Also Civil Service Resourcing is a confusing one for me as I dont seem to be able to get a hold of them....they merge into departmental HR/Parity...or maybe Im confused.

Re: the manager, well I was 'asked' to talk/communicate/send an email to my colleagues (who I admire) detailing my potential departure ....this was ok as they are in my office...but the request subsequently extended to my colleagues in different parts of the UK! Moreover and more worryingly I noticed a sudden desire to provide me with tasks which have more of an administrative flavor! This really made me think that my desire to start in Oct rather than Sept (and reflecting this in the induction preference from the survey they provide) was wrong!.......but the moral of the story is be careful when you are seeking to ensure your departure is dealt with with care and good intentions.
For the PD FSB,, how long after did it take people to hear back afterwards?
Original post by enterunsername
Thanks so much for the reply!

When I initially applied I was not a civil servant, it is only now when they have requested I send such details to their assignments team that they are becoming aware of my CS status, which happend a week after the FSAC. But your link was useful as it provides me with a warning; I better send of the pre-employment docs they asked for and not rely on the CS status as I am an O and didnt apply 'in service'; so that should mean they need to see my degree certificate!

When you mentioned HR did you mean Parity (most likely) or your current govt dept? Also Civil Service Resourcing is a confusing one for me as I dont seem to be able to get a hold of them....they merge into departmental HR/Parity...or maybe Im confused.

Re: the manager, well I was 'asked' to talk/communicate/send an email to my colleagues (who I admire) detailing my potential departure ....this was ok as they are in my office...but the request subsequently extended to my colleagues in different parts of the UK! Moreover and more worryingly I noticed a sudden desire to provide me with tasks which have more of an administrative flavor! This really made me think that my desire to start in Oct rather than Sept (and reflecting this in the induction preference from the survey they provide) was wrong!.......but the moral of the story is be careful when you are seeking to ensure your departure is dealt with with care and good intentions.

Can't speak to much but it is a good idea to send pre-appointment information again. I was in a similar situation and asked Parity (back in February) if I had to redo my pre-appointment checks, as I had just completed them back in October of last year and the answer was yes. Apparently the forms/checks have an expiry date (which makes sense), although they didn't specify for how long. I know basic/SC/DV usually last years but didn't want to argue - so I just ended up sending everything through again - they're actually quite efficient with it once you've sent them the documents.

And to be honest I think you did the right thing. It's a shame some people can't see that you're actually trying to help them out by giving them more time to plan instead of just pulling the rug from them a few weeks before you leave. Can't please everyone I suppose. :dontknow:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by finalyearstress

Some people were hearing back same day / day after (and I've seen both pass & fails), I don't appear to be one of them, so can only assume they are holding an amber band :-(

When did you have yours?
Any Generalists out there been in contact with CS Resourcing yet?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6055
Original post by finalyearstress

Hey! I had my FSB yesterday and received the notification today via my Portal, so it shouldn't be too, too long (definitely not like the wait post-FSAC).

Good luck!! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by plflb
Someone earlier in this thread called them and they said that the pass marks will be set tomorrow but that we will hear the outcome of our applications on Tuesday... No idea why the outcomes aren't released at the same time as the pass marks.

Whenever I've emailed them I had no useful info but I'm noticed that calling them seems to be more productive for some reason. Fingers crossed they'll be true to their word this time and release the results asap!

Yup, that was me. I do find them more helpful on the phones than via email.
Reply 6057
Original post by ottopol
It's that time of the week again.... FCO post-FSB lot, check in!

I'm hoping for news at the end of this week, as they said results would be out at the 'very end of April' to me on the day. Anyone got better information from a more recent FSB?

The person running the FSB said that this was the last week they were running them and that we should hear either at the end of this week or early next week. They also said that they only invited 90 people to FSB.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am sure this has been posted before but could anyone point me to where i would find my report and score ?
Original post by Nathan_J27
I am sure this has been posted before but could anyone point me to where i would find my report and score ?

If you go into "My Applications" and select one of the streams you've applied for, then where it says "Fast Stream Assessment Centre" on the list, you should have an option for "View Results". If you click on that there will be a message and then right at the bottom a tiny grey box that says "FSAC report" If it isn't there then check back at the end of the month, they have been processing reports for people attending FSB's first but Parity say all reports should be available by the end of April :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending