The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UKCATrocks
Here is a summary of the ISC books:
The 600Q is now a bit out of date, not least because it has the old Decision Analysis section. People tended to find that QR was harder than the exam (not so much hard but it took longer than anticipated to get to the answer), AR okay, VR well aligned with the exam.

Then they published the 1000Q which was essentially the 600Q book minus the redundant Decision Analysis section, but with more QR (easier ones were inserted) + the new style VR questions + the new SJT section. People found the QR better in this one, the VR still well aligned with the exam, the SJT aligned with the exam, but the AR harder (but I think that now the QR is better, people are now focussing more on the AR section).

I contacted ISC a while ago about the new book and the 1250Q book I am told is the same as the 1000Q book, except it has had some corrections made to it and there is now a new Decision Making section. It's already available on Amazon for pre-order. Just search for UKCAT and you will see at the top of the list. Publication date is set to 15 May but last year the 1000Q was available from their own website a couple of weeks before.

The ISC books are probably harder than the exam overall but they are good practice to get you to think about your technique before you do Medify or other similar online thing.

Thanks- just what I needed!
I will buy the 1000Q book (and 1250, more practice cant hurt!)
Are there any other books/resources you would recommend? I've got the kaplan and the medicalportal book, buy they seem so out of touch with the actual exam
Original post by Ienjoylife
LOL. Well VR is all about inference so that's a good thing then. Actually the VR section is very strict in the ISC book and uses exactly the same logic as the exam. No room for speculation or extrapolation.

As for QR, use the 1000Q at least (or the 1250 when it comes). There are twice as many questions and the added ones were easier. But I think also you are finding QR hard because you are expecting too much too soon. A lot of the UKCAT success rests on your ability to look at data selectively and not to understand everything in detail before you look at questions. So you may just need to pick up speed through practice.

Thank you.
I will buy the 1000Q book ASAP
Yes, I need a lot of practice with the QR section!
Can you give your UKCAT score to unis after you send off your PS?
Original post by OloMed
Thank you.
I will buy the 1000Q book ASAP
Yes, I need a lot of practice with the QR section!

I've posted about it before but really enjoying passukcat.com - it has loads of free VR questions which follow the style of the practice papers quite closely in terms of the logic etc - let me know what you think!
Original post by lqwerty98
Can you give your UKCAT score to unis after you send off your PS?

pearsons who run UKCAT email you when its time to go onto their website and submit where youve applied. its usually first week in November or was last year. you input the unis youve applied and they send them your score
Hi there!

I registered for the UKCAT today, and I'm taking my exam in early July. I have noticed, however, that the language is English-US. Is this normal? I know there's only a slight language difference, but I don't want to find out a few days before the test that there are different sets of questions or something...
I'm taking my admission test outside of the UK, but in Europe.
Reply 86
Original post by Mac117
Hi there!

I registered for the UKCAT today, and I'm taking my exam in early July. I have noticed, however, that the language is English-US. Is this normal? I know there's only a slight language difference, but I don't want to find out a few days before the test that there are different sets of questions or something...
I'm taking my admission test outside of the UK, but in Europe.

I believe it is normal as I just registered today and it said "English-US" for me too and I live in the UK.

Anyways, on another note, do you get your UKCAT results straight after the exam itself, much like a driving test or do you have to wait a while to get them?
Original post by t10r
I believe it is normal as I just registered today and it said "English-US" for me too and I live in the UK.

Anyways, on another note, do you get your UKCAT results straight after the exam itself, much like a driving test or do you have to wait a while to get them?

That's reassuring, thanks!

I was told you get the results straigh away, and a slip of paper with your score as you leave at the end of the exam.
Original post by t10r

Original post by Mac117
That's reassuring, thanks!

I was told you get the results straigh away, and a slip of paper with your score as you leave at the end of the exam.

Can confirm that you get your results right away but won't know how you compare to the rest of the cohort until the boundaries come out after everyone has taken the exam.

Spoiler

Original post by wolfmoon88
Can confirm that you get your results right away but won't know how you compare to the rest of the cohort until the boundaries come out after everyone has taken the exam.

Spoiler

It's all good! :smile: I hope you smash the IB exams, kick the IBO right in the butt, haha. Answer whenever you have time!
Original post by Mac117
It's all good! :smile: I hope you smash the IB exams, kick the IBO right in the butt, haha. Answer whenever you have time!

Thank you :redface: Hahaha I hope so too, the really need an butt kicking tbh (especially for the Biology exams that they put on us this year smh...)
yes you receive your scores straight away. UKCAT then release a predicted average in September before releasing the official scores in october. different universities then release their cut off scores if they have them at different times
Original post by wolfmoon88
Thank you :redface: Hahaha I hope so too, the really need an butt kicking tbh (especially for the Biology exams that they put on us this year smh...)

I heard... But if you were able to get such a good UKCAT without revision I'm sure you'll get 43+ with revision for IB :wink:
Original post by Mac117
I heard... But if you were able to get such a good UKCAT without revision I'm sure you'll get 43+ with revision for IB :wink:

Hahaha thank you! I definitely hope so :redface:
Reply 94
How long did it take to get your login details? I registered this morning and haven't received anything back from Pearson and i'm a little bit worried.......
Original post by Desi12
How long did it take to get your login details? I registered this morning and haven't received anything back from Pearson and i'm a little bit worried.......

I got mine straight away, though they said it might take up to 24 hours!
Does anyone have any tips for the SJT section?- I'm struggling to find a methodology to tackle these questions- every book I've looked in seems to have no useful tips! Particularly differentiating between 'Important', 'some importance', 'not important' etc

Apologies, if I've posted in the wrong thread!
Reply 97
Original post by OloMed
Does anyone have any tips for the SJT section?- I'm struggling to find a methodology to tackle these questions- every book I've looked in seems to have no useful tips! Particularly differentiating between 'Important', 'some importance', 'not important' etc

I'd go with your gut, and think about putting yourself in the shoes of a doctor (not as a student). These are things that you can't 'revise' for, the answers shouldn't be too difficult to work out. If you get it partially right i.e. important when it was some importance, you'll still get a portion of the marks. I know this isn't particularly helpful, but there isn't an algorithm or method you can use to show you the right answer, they do it to see what you would do!
Original post by ax12
I'd go with your gut, and think about putting yourself in the shoes of a doctor (not as a student). These are things that you can't 'revise' for, the answers shouldn't be too difficult to work out. If you get it partially right i.e. important when it was some importance, you'll still get a portion of the marks. I know this isn't particularly helpful, but there isn't an algorithm or method you can use to show you the right answer, they do it to see what you would do!

Thanks, I see what you mean. There's a lot of support for the other sections, but I get the feeling this section is neglected the most!- especially when considering some unis have cutoffs
Original post by OloMed

I got band 1 for SJT! Tbh it's hard to prepare for it.

I'm not really the best person to ask because I didn't really prep for the UKCAT however some tips I can give for this section is:

1. Do what's best for the patient.

2. Do not accept any unsolicited behaviors that are outside your profession. (Accepting money etc...)

3. Be responsible to yourself and others.

Good luck :smile: and hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending