The Student Room Group

AQA Triple Science - how do the grades work?

I've asked a few of my teachers this and they didn't seem to know - how exactly are the grades for each science averaged/calculated? (E.g. B1,B2,B3 and the ISA). Is it UMS? I've just had my Biology and Chemistry Unit 1 exams and I think they went pretty well (a couple of mistakes)...so if I got maybe As in these, plus As or perhaps A*s in the other units and an A* in the ISA could an A or A* overall still be possible?
Thankyou for any help :smile:
Reply 1
For example, UMS are assigned to a certain number of marks- these don't change (as do the grade boundaries)

Say if you get an A* in P1, an A in P2 and an A in P3 and your coursework is A*, you'll be in with a pretty good chance if getting an A* overall, however it depends on how many UMS you got altogether which will determine your final grade
Original post by Haider_A
For example, UMS are assigned to a certain number of marks- these don't change (as do the grade boundaries)

Say if you get an A* in P1, an A in P2 and an A in P3 and your coursework is A*, you'll be in with a pretty good chance if getting an A* overall, however it depends on how many UMS you got altogether which will determine your final grade

I did Unit 2 in year 10 and got an overall A. I'm doing units 1 and 3 this year. On our results sheet will the results be split into units or seperate sciences (biology, chemistry, physics)?
Reply 3
Original post by Harrison.B 15
I did Unit 2 in year 10 and got an overall A. I'm doing units 1 and 3 this year. On our results sheet will the results be split into units or seperate sciences (biology, chemistry, physics)?

Yes, so you'll get an individual grade overall for Biology, Chemistry and Physics and your grades for each of the above will be shown on your results day certificate
Original post by oban12
I've asked a few of my teachers this and they didn't seem to know - how exactly are the grades for each science averaged/calculated? (E.g. B1,B2,B3 and the ISA). Is it UMS? I've just had my Biology and Chemistry Unit 1 exams and I think they went pretty well (a couple of mistakes)...so if I got maybe As in these, plus As or perhaps A*s in the other units and an A* in the ISA could an A or A* overall still be possible?
Thankyou for any help :smile:

UMS marks are separately calculated based on the difficulty of each paper, so e.g. while 55/60 on physics unit 2 might be 50/50 UMS, the same raw mark on unit 1 might be 45/50 UMS, or something. Overall grades are simply the sum of the 4 quarters of the spec, i.e. the total UMS mark is out of 200 and A* might be 180. There is no averaging or calculating, there's no such thing as a grade per paper (other than guesses at what you would get if you averaged that in all 4 parts). Note I'm 100% making up all of these numbers, even though I could've actually googled something from last year, but didn't :smile: :smile:
Reply 5
There are 4 units, numbered 1 to 4 - Unit 4 is your ISA. For each of these units you will receive a UMS mark out of 100. To obtain an A* overall you need a total of 360/400 UMS, so that's an average of 90 per unit. This means that yes, you can do poorly on one unit and still get a good grade overall.

Quick Reply

Latest