The Student Room Group

how to revise for gcse to get all 9s

i am in december year 11 and getting decent grades like 7s and 6s apart from language which i am getting a 9 in but i would like to get 9s in the rest of my subjects, but I am kind of confused on how i should effectively revise the subjects I am taking are

Maths
English lit and lang
business
computer science
history
RE
triple science
i do higher for every subject how should i revise and how long in order to get at least all 8s
First and foremost, good job for taking the initative to start improving your grades - it might feel late, but most Year 11's don't start until the last three months.

The most important thing for revision are concepts called active recall and spaced repitition. You'll see these brought up a lot when it comes to study videos and such on youtube, but in essence they're scientifically proven as methods to ensure our brain commits concepts to our long-term memory. You'll need to remember things like qoutes from your texts and poems for English Literature as well as statistics and figures for history and such, so the best thing you can do is find a method that incorporates these two things which works for you. The one I advise most is flashcards, but make sure they're engaging. Use a software like Quizlet or Anki to make flashcards which make you actively think about the answer to a question before you see it -- do not passively read notes.

For things like triple science, you're already on the right lines, but what makes the difference between a grade 6/7 and a grade 8/9 is your ability to pick up those silly marks and do well in application questions. Application questions are those questions where you've literally never been told about the concept, but have to apply your existing knowledge to a new concept. The best way to do this is to make sure you understand concepts by learning them thoroughly - don't memorise, understand; use videos, ask your teachers, go to tutoring sessions, etc - even teach your friends! If you can teach a concept at a level where a five year old could understand it, you know it.

Make sure you're keeping ontop of things; your learning isn't done yet. Things like the Space unit on Triple AQA Physics and Magnetism are difficult, but you can get a 9 if you learn them properly.

Best of luck - work hard.
Reply 2
Thank you
but how should i start revising and what should i do
Original post by student07tc
Thank you
but how should i start revising and what should i do

Might be a late reply, but for sciences go through the specification and highlight in red the stuff you don’t already know, make a list and work on those topics.
Hope that helps! :smile:
i am in december year 11 and getting decent grades like 7s and 6s apart from language which i am getting a 9 in but i would like to get 9s in the rest of my subjects, but I am kind of confused on how i should effectively revise the subjects I am taking are

Maths
English lit and lang
business
computer science
history
RE
triple science
i do higher for every subject how should i revise and how long in order to get at least all 8s

I found Seneca and Primrose Kitten videos really helpful for science. What I did was Seneca for sciences in the lead up to the exams (do all the of the Seneca for the topics on the paper, e.g. for paper 1, do all the Seneca for all paper 1 topics) and then watched the Primrose Kitten paper summary videos the night before (note: for the year I did GCSEs, we had formula sheets, so you might want to do something else to learn formulas). I also did a few Seneca exam paper questions.
Reply 5

Maths
English lit and lang
business
computer science
history
RE
triple science

For subjects that are more essay based/longer written answers, look at either the essay you will need to write or the model answer, try and memorise it. Close your laptop/book and then try and write it from memory, then with a different coloured pen, check iver it and write in anything you missed. Once you've done this for all of the questions in a topic or all the paragraphs in an essay, look at your notes (the different coloured facts will stand out) and then write it out on your laptop.

For your more sciencey ones, past papers are your answers. You don't need to understand absolutely everything, but need to know how to answer. They ask the same questions over and over.

Condensing notes (changing a chapter in a textbook into one page of notes) is also really helpful for every subject x
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest