The Student Room Group

Latin GCSE OCR Language Paper 2 - History

I just did the GCSE in Latin Lang 2 today, and it was disgustingly difficult. Who else thought so?? Or did some find it relatively - really easy?? And does anyone know how to translate the last sentence in the 40 mark unseen?? Coz I didn't get it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by t.xavier17_
I just did the GCSE in Latin Lang 2 today, and it was disgustingly difficult. Who else thought so?? Or did some find it relatively - really easy?? And does anyone know how to translate the last sentence in the 40 mark unseen?? Coz I didn't get it.

If you prompt me with the sentence and I'll try and remember what I put- I found the sentence beginning 'Illi' really confusing.
Reply 2
Original post by sophieannie1515
If you prompt me with the sentence and I'll try and remember what I put- I found the sentence beginning 'Illi' really confusing.

yeah that one, I can't remember the sentence off by heart but I'll try my best. It was super confusing because they had pu the word "quaero" (I look for) or the infinitive, but the point is I saw this and I didn't know where the hell it fitted into the sentence.
Reply 3
It's that the soldiers (of Anthony) were searching for why they were fighting in vain without a leader. The exam was pretty easy ahah
Reply 4
Original post by retslick
It's that the soldiers (of Anthony) were searching for why they were fighting in vain without a leader. The exam was pretty easy ahah

Ohh I see ok, thank you. I couldn't work out where quaero fitted into the sentence but thanks anyway. Did you really find the test easy. What did you get for the last question on the comprehension section??
Reply 5

Quaero isnt plural tho?
Reply 6
Original post by dx31
Quaero isnt plural tho?

Yeah I noticed that too, but it couldn't have been referring to Anthony, otherwise the sentence wouldn't have made any sense. Therefore it has to be referring to the soldiers of Anthony. Even tho it's 2nd Declension Dat/Abl Singular. Did you do the test too??
Reply 7
it was quaerebant, no? and which was the last question on the comprehension
Reply 8
Yeah I noticed that too, but it couldn't have been referring to Anthony, otherwise the sentence wouldn't have made any sense. Therefore it has to be referring to the soldiers of Anthony. Even tho it's 2nd Declension Dat/Abl Singular. Did you do the test too??

Couldn't it be referring to Octavian? And yeah!!
Reply 9
quaero is 'i search for'. It would never be in a translation passage unless it was in speech marks
Original post by dx31
Couldn't it be referring to Octavian? And yeah!!

Ok, so say (hypothetically) they were referring to Octavian, how would the sentence fit together then?? And cool!! Seeing as you did, what did you get for the last question on the comprehension section? (sorry don't exactly remember what it is lol)
Ok, so say (hypothetically) they were referring to Octavian, how would the sentence fit together then?? And cool!! Seeing as you did, what did you get for the last question on the comprehension section? (sorry don't exactly remember what it is lol)

Anthony, having left his ships, followed his fleeing wife.
it was quaerebant, no? and which was the last question on the comprehension

I can't remember, I think so, but then the '-bant' would mean that it's imperfect. So past tense. And then the '-nt' would mean that it's referring to the soldiers. Therefore it would have been " they were looking for" no?
Anthony, having left his ships, followed his fleeing wife.

Ok that's fine, I did get that, I just wasn't sure if I was right or not.
Reply 14

I was so stuck but I wrote something like "No one other than him was either luckier in war or kinder in peace" Something like that
I can't remember, I think so, but then the '-bant' would mean that it's imperfect. So past tense. And then the '-nt' would mean that it's referring to the soldiers. Therefore it would have been " they were looking for" no?

Yeah that's what i put^^^^
Reply 16
Ok that's fine, I did get that, I just wasn't sure if I was right or not.

Oh wait sorry I thought you meant translation!!
For the comprehension I wrote he followed his wife who was fleeing so basically his fleeing wife

Apparently, 'Militibus Antonii' is dative, therefore it would translate as 'Octavian Shouted to/at Antony's soldiers
Yeah that's what i put^^^^

yeah but that's only maybe 1 out of 4, 2 if your lucky, due to the isolated knowledge of vocabulary. (going by past paper mark schemes) So what was the rest of the sentence?
I wrote "he looked for why they fought without a leader" and doesn't "nauta" mean sailor?

Quick Reply

Latest