The Student Room Group

ENGLISH literature CIE IGCSE DRAMA MERCHANT OF VENICE EXTRACT PREDICTIONS

Any predictions in what will come up for the drama paper merchant of Venice for the CIE IGCSE English literature paper in terms of the extract?
Reply 1
Original post by nish2910
Any predictions in what will come up for the drama paper merchant of Venice for the CIE IGCSE English literature paper in terms of the extract?

My teacher says it likely to come up the scene where I have to decide between the caskets and how tension builds up tension and so on.
By the way I'm a bit scared because I dont really know much about unimportant characters such as sallarino or lorenzo and if they come up you should probably mention them.. Do you feel the same way?
Original post by bassanio
My teacher says it likely to come up the scene where I have to decide between the caskets and how tension builds up tension and so on.
By the way I'm a bit scared because I dont really know much about unimportant characters such as sallarino or lorenzo and if they come up you should probably mention them.. Do you feel the same way?

yeah i get you, (lol i like your username!) and i don't think salerio and solanio will come up, but if you feel anxious then you can try and see stuff like sparknotes or something? off the top of my head, a few interesting things my teacher said about lorenzo to note are:
- he talks about jessica and how much he loves her in the beginning but never really says it to her
- he takes himself quite seriously (in scene with lancelot and jessica) and can be quite unhumorous
- some may say he sucks up to portia -- good words to use: (obsequious/sycophantic)

that's all i got sorry, and in the scene with bassanio there aren't rly many techniques tho?
Reply 3
My teacher has quite a few possible extracts: 1.1 (the beginning with Antonio), 2.1 ( Morocco and Portia), 2.5 (Jessica, Shylock and Gobbo), 2.6 (the elopement), 3.1 (Shylock's monologue and his shift to vengeance), 3.3 (S and A), 4.1 and 5.1 (Jessica and Lorenzo)
Original post by m!ek
My teacher has quite a few possible extracts: 1.1 (the beginning with Antonio), 2.1 ( Morocco and Portia), 2.5 (Jessica, Shylock and Gobbo), 2.6 (the elopement), 3.1 (Shylock's monologue and his shift to vengeance), 3.3 (S and A), 4.1 and 5.1 (Jessica and Lorenzo)

wow that's quite a lot, thanks. idk why but i rly don't want act 3 or act 1
Original post by m!ek

4.1 won't come it came in 2015 just checked
Reply 6
Original post by nish2910
4.1 won't come it came in 2015 just checked

Yeah but there are lots of possible qs for that cos it's so important
Original post by m!ek
Yeah but there are lots of possible qs for that cos it's so important

ok will look at it, but they don't tend to repeat scenes -- at least i'm hoping it doesn't come!
Reply 8
are you guys probably gonna do the extract question? Which one did you do for silas marner?
are you guys probably gonna do the extract question? Which one did you do for silas marner?

I did Silas Marner!! I did the passage because i didn't learn quotes. haha. it was still good although not much range of analysis. What did you do?
Original post by Dillan2201
I did Silas Marner!! I did the passage because i didn't learn quotes. haha. it was still good although not much range of analysis. What did you do?

saame I just said something about god and satan and the close friendship they had.
saame I just said something about god and satan and the close friendship they had.

Yeah same. I just said how Eliot shows Silas' feelings to be sympathetic and William Dane's to be hurtful. Basically it really
Original post by Dillan2201
Yeah same. I just said how Eliot shows Silas' feelings to be sympathetic and William Dane's to be hurtful. Basically it really

yeah i said the free indirect speech, dialogue and the physical descriptions of silas 'his face flushed' made it disturbing i feel like mine was quite short tho. good luck today guys lets hope the extract is kind to us!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending