The Student Room Group

Year 10 Mocks - What do they really mean?

Hi :smile:

I'm stressing out over my Year 10 mocks. I'm usually an A/A* student in every subject through a lot of hard work, so naturally I'm nervous for them, but I'm also terrified of getting anything less than I expect of myself. I'm also sitting my English Language GCSE this year, which I know is more important than the mocks, but I still can't face doing badly.

So do Year 10 mocks actually have a bearing on anything? Are they used to determine whether you do Higher/Foundation in Year 11 or are they just used as guidance by teachers?

I can't even remember doing my year 10 mocks 3 years on, so, no not that important. They don't determine whether you're a higher/foundation student and if a teacher knows you're an A*/A student even if you do badly in your mocks they will still put you on for higher.

Plus a lot of students don't bother with revising for mocks and do amazing in their GCSE's anyway so I'm sure the teachers are used to going off more than just mock results. I'd focus on your English as you say.

It's hard to get bad grades when you normally get A/A* and you know you could have done better if you'd revised. But you've got a lot of exams and revision ahead of you so don't rush into it too soon. Just keep on top of things. :smile:

P.s if you are really concerned about it then just ask your teachers about it - tell them you have a GCSE this year and would much rather revise for it than your mocks, they will then know if/why you do bad in your mocks and won't put to much weight on your results.
Original post by elizabeth20013

I'm stressing out over my Year 10 mocks. I'm usually an A/A* student in every subject through a lot of hard work, so naturally I'm nervous for them, but I'm also terrified of getting anything less than I expect of myself. I'm also sitting my English Language GCSE this year, which I know is more important than the mocks, but I still can't face doing badly.

So do Year 10 mocks actually have a bearing on anything? Are they used to determine whether you do Higher/Foundation in Year 11 or are they just used as guidance by teachers?

Just do as well as you can. Don't feel that they matter too much. They do have some bearing on things - this depends whether you have any more mocks later on (my school did them in Year 10 and in November of year 11). The year 10 ones hardly mattered and were mostly for getting used to in-hall exams and finding good revision techniques. Some people got Ds and Es in those and are now on course for As and A*s - don't feel like you've got to get your top grades after doing just half the course!

When you come to do your last set of mocks, those are the ones that decide your predicted grades (for college applications) and whether you do Higher or Foundation. You can still change later on, so if you do badly in the mock and improve later, your school will allow you to take Higher. Also, they might be important in case something went wrong such as a serious injury or illness close to the exam - the mock exam may be used to give you your grade.
They don't mean anything just a waste of your time
Original post by WolfzWay
They don't mean anything just a waste of your time

Thanks
Original post by TheMindGarage
Just do as well as you can. Don't feel that they matter too much. They do have some bearing on things - this depends whether you have any more mocks later on (my school did them in Year 10 and in November of year 11). The year 10 ones hardly mattered and were mostly for getting used to in-hall exams and finding good revision techniques. Some people got Ds and Es in those and are now on course for As and A*s - don't feel like you've got to get your top grades after doing just half the course!

When you come to do your last set of mocks, those are the ones that decide your predicted grades (for college applications) and whether you do Higher or Foundation. You can still change later on, so if you do badly in the mock and improve later, your school will allow you to take Higher. Also, they might be important in case something went wrong such as a serious injury or illness close to the exam - the mock exam may be used to give you your grade.

Thanks, that really helps :smile: My school do Year 11 mocks but have been oddly quiet on the Year 10 front, they haven't said anything about them other than giving us a timetable. The teachers don't even know what topics they're on, so we don't know what to revise.
I think they actually helped me become more comfortable with the exam format of things but I think it's dangerous route that they're taking because they're starting this examination practice for more and more earlier years now.
Year 10 mocks are really a way of easing you into the exam format, learning to cope with the pressure of the actual exams. Plus, they are also used to give your teachers and indication of how you're doing and allows them to give extra help if needed. :smile:
The only thing you can do is do your very best, but don't go crazy with stress over them because you 1) Still have a year to get help from your teachers if you're struggling and 2) they're only mocks:biggrin:. I'm sure you'll do great with that track record though. Good luck!
Literally nothing, but introduces you to the exam format and how they all work etc.
If you do well then great, but if not it really does not matter at all :h:
They mean absolutely nothing, most schools don't even do the proper amount of papers, like paper 1 and paper 2 sciences, and give the proper amount of length for them.
Reply 10
I'm currently doing the year 10 mocks, too!
I've been using them to examine what the real exams could be like, however, I don't think the grades you get will have any bearing on your future whatsoever. As said, do as well as you can (it's good practice), but don't worry yourself over it.
i am sad, i got a 4 in Classical civvilisation does his mean anything?

In my school at least they were formed as a section of exams to base your predicted grades.

Hi, I know this was poster 3+ years ago, but it's 2020 and im sure you all know of the current situations (COVID-19) it's had a hard impact on my education. I'm in semi-top sets in my year so everyones feedback on this has been really relieving. I know no one will probably read this but its like a weight of my chest. I'm mid mock exams now and it's been quite a lot of pressure being at home 'n' all. So thanks to everyone who commented i guess, hearing it has little to no impact on my GCSE's is a big relief.

:smile: Thanks
- Dan
Original post by Dan.8224
Hi, I know this was poster 3+ years ago, but it's 2020 and im sure you all know of the current situations (COVID-19) it's had a hard impact on my education. I'm in semi-top sets in my year so everyones feedback on this has been really relieving. I know no one will probably read this but its like a weight of my chest. I'm mid mock exams now and it's been quite a lot of pressure being at home 'n' all. So thanks to everyone who commented i guess, hearing it has little to no impact on my GCSE's is a big relief.

- Dan

They don't contribute to your final grade at all - just your predicted grades (be careful, though, predicted grades are what your sixth forms/colleges will see when you apply to them and this is what your mocks contribute to). So, treat them like the real thing. Mocks are gold. They have no impact on your exam but are designed to be like the real thing. Revise properly for the them, as you would for a GCSE, so that you can really see what you need help with.

Also, I am a year 13 student who has finished school and has designed a free online tutoring website. So, if you need any help (such as solutions to a few questions), PM me and I will send you the link :smile:
Original post by tinfoilhat
They don't contribute to your final grade at all - just your predicted grades (be careful, though, predicted grades are what your sixth forms/colleges will see when you apply to them and this is what your mocks contribute to). So, treat them like the real thing. Mocks are gold. They have no impact on your exam but are designed to be like the real thing. Revise properly for the them, as you would for a GCSE, so that you can really see what you need help with.

Also, I am a year 13 student who has finished school and has designed a free online tutoring website. So, if you need any help (such as solutions to a few questions), PM me and I will send you the link :smile:

Your PM's are private. If you go ahead and PM me that would be great :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Dan.8224

- Dan

I’m currently in year 10 and have mocks in 2 weeks do you advise revising for them since there is a possibility we won’t be doing the actual GCSEs because of the pandemic? thanks.
Reply 17
Original post by Smafff
I’m currently in year 10 and have mocks in 2 weeks do you advise revising for them since there is a possibility we won’t be doing the actual GCSEs because of the pandemic? thanks.

You really should revise for them anyway. It’ll make things easier for you in the long run.

Given that the vaccine rollout is going well, I expect that your exams will likely go ahead. Whether they’ll make any allowances is unclear.
Don't worry about it too much. They are mainly used to make sure what level you are at.

Quick Reply

Latest