The Student Room Group

Cambridge chemistry challenge 2017!

Has anyone done the Cambridge chemistry challenge yet for 2017? Mine is coming up and I'm really worried on what will come up, any advice on what is on there?

Scroll to see replies

Don't worry about it too much. You really don't need more than about 30% of the marks to do well :smile: I suggest doing past papers if you are worried and if you do badly you can just say you never did it :smile: Btw I'm doing mine on friday
Last year it was 16 (out of 60) for bronze, which is the lowest award - that's pretty much only a quarter of marks needed! Don't worry i just did a past paper, and some of the questions were actually straightforward like considering it was a challenge set by Cambridge University I didn't think those types of questions would come up but they did. The paper is designed to be accessible for most people if you have good AS chemistry knowledge. You're not expected to know everything in that paper, just make educated guesses if you have no idea. I would recommend having sound knowledge of organic chemistry though because that always comes up.
Reply 3
Original post by Breezer2016
Don't worry about it too much. You really don't need more than about 30% of the marks to do well :smile: I suggest doing past papers if you are worried and if you do badly you can just say you never did it :smile: Btw I'm doing mine on friday

Good luck for Friday! Is there any chance one you do it, if you could let me know some of the things that come up as mine is next week and I really want to get a bronze? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by GCSE 2k16
Last year it was 16 (out of 60) for bronze, which is the lowest award - that's pretty much only a quarter of marks needed! Don't worry i just did a past paper, and some of the questions were actually straightforward like considering it was a challenge set by Cambridge University I didn't think those types of questions would come up but they did. The paper is designed to be accessible for most people if you have good AS chemistry knowledge. You're not expected to know everything in that paper, just make educated guesses if you have no idea. I would recommend having sound knowledge of organic chemistry though because that always comes up.

Thank you for the advice! I hope I get a bronze! :smile:
Reply 5
How did you guys find the paper? The maths questions were interesting but I'm not sure if I got it right cus my method wasn't accurate I think?
Btw which question did you guys prefer, I found the second question harder, as always...
Reply 6
Original post by TiAlpaha
How did you guys find the paper? The maths questions were interesting but I'm not sure if I got it right cus my method wasn't accurate I think?
Btw which question did you guys prefer, I found the second question harder, as always...

Have you already done the paper? 😊

Is there anything you'd recommend to look over? I'm doing the paper soon.... :/
Original post by Aminah123
Has anyone done the Cambridge chemistry challenge yet for 2017? Mine is coming up and I'm really worried on what will come up, any advice on what is on there?

I heard of the cambridge chemistry challenge before and it sounds like something I want to do, can you tell me exactly what it is,sorry to bother you.Im just interested myself about doing it.Is it the same thing as the national chemistry olympiad or is it different?
Reply 9
Someone from my sixth form got 49/60 on that test (he got 4A* at a level and didnt drop a mark at GCSE).
Reply 10

Hi Im doing mine tmrw :smile: what topics came up? should i revise for it?
thanks
Reply 11
Original post by ndk123
Hi Im doing mine tmrw :smile: what topics came up? should i revise for it?
thanks

Good luck! Could you let me know briefly what topics come up so I have an idea of what to expect?
Thanks ☺️
Reply 12
How do you find the question on the synthesis of fexofenadine
?
Reply 13
Original post by LUSer21
?

Is that in the paper?
Reply 14
Maybe?
Reply 15
I mean don't worry, for the synthesis question my tactics is to count the number of carbon and hydrogen atoms-----they always give you the molecular formula to check. Work it through logically and you should be fine.
Original post by LUSer21
?

Be aware, if you tell people what is on the test, they will do better than you and that will make the grade boundaries higher, making it more unlikely that you will get an award.
Yeah I had an inset day on friday so doing it next week. Nice to hear that there's a maths question though!
My advice is to do the old past papers to get a feel for the problem solving. I would say that the questions are 75%+ problem solving with very little knowledge required except for a basic understanding of harder mol calculations and some organic chemistry.

If you do not know something they should give you enough information to work it out for most of the questions!
Yeah I've done 2014, 2015 and 2016 and got low 30s on all of them so fingers crossed for gold! Just gonna read through my papers and check out the questions I got wrong and why.

Quick Reply

Latest