The Student Room Group

Forgotten Heroes of History?

Does anyone have any suggestions for forgotten heroes of history?

I would mention Skanderbeg, the brave Albanian warlord who struggled valiantly against Ottoman domination and fought to rescue his people from the rule of kebab.

I would also mention Vlad Dracula, who also fought valiantly around the same period to preserve his beloved Wallachia from the hordes of Ottoman kebab which imperilled it. He also brought order to his own country, executing filthy traitors and criminals and having them impaled. A shame that Bram Stoker's novel has turned him into a monster. I know many Romanians are annoyed at that. Sadly, he was betrayed and killed in the end, but he fought the good fight in the meantime.

Then there is the last Emperor of Byzantium, Constantine XI, who fought to the death against the forces of the Ottoman Sultan Mehmed who had surrounded the city of Constantinople.

I would also mention Demosthenes, the Athenian politician and orator who stood alone among his countrymen in warning of the dangers of the expansionist ambitions of Philip II of Macedon. Much as Churchill in the 1930s tried to warn his countrymen of the Nazi threat, Demosthenes tried but failed to unite his countrymen against the Macedonians, and as a result Athens and the other Greek states fell under Philip's tyranny. Then came his son Alexander the Great and the rest, as they say, is history.

We must not forget Sargon, the world's first great conqueror. He built a mighty empire in the Middle East which anticipated the great empires that would follow. In uniting so many people into one great polity, he achieved a level of civilisation and cultural interaction hitherto unknown.

I could go on forever.

Spoiler

zezima
Reply 3
inb4 Stalin and hitler
Pretty much any, that wasn't British, French, German, Russian, American, Roman, Greek, or from other famous empire. Anyone who is not from a culture that dominated the world, is usually not widely known, even if his impact was very strong.

Original post by Cato the Elder

We must not forget Sargon, the world's first great conqueror. He built a mighty empire in the Middle East which anticipated the great empires that would follow. In uniting so many people into one great polity, he achieved a level of civilisation and cultural interaction hitherto unknown.

He appears in most of books about ancient Mesopotamia. Hardly forgotten.
Who still knows Martin Luther King who was fighting against racism and fighting for black people in the 50's and 60's? what would this civil right activist in this time when he has to see that racism is in America up to date again?

True heroes in history are the ones who are fighting for better living conditions and human/civil rights for each other. They should not be forgotten! never!
Most gay rights activists have been forgotten from history. Few people know who Bayard Rustin or Edward Carpenter was. South American revolutionaries are rarely remembered either. Simon Bolivar for example. Che Guevara is another one. He is remembered for being on T-shirts​ but hardly anyone knows who he was and what he did
Reply 7
We all know the bad guys of Germany but the good women who helped build and rebuild after the war machine was crushed deserve a mention. They were remembered by Germany on stamps issued in the 80s & 90s. I enjoyed looking at the wiki page for each and writing a summary . . .
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Alexander II
Original post by Onde
Cicero

The cicero who has modernized the Latin language and thus made a contribution that latin became a respecatable one in the the next periods of human history? oh yeah, he is really a forgotten great speaking hero.

Is it true that he had found the grave of archimedes?
Our own ancestors, beginning with the peasents revolt, right up to the present day.
Most of us will have had unknown ancestors who were evicted, starved, murdered, and kicked off the common land.
Completely forgotten. Few names are remembered.

A large section of our socio-economic history has been wiped from the national memory.

This pithy ditty from 17th century by an unknown sums up the last thousand years, as relevant today as it ever was;

The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the common
But leaves the greater villain loose
Who steals the common from the goose.

The law demands that we atone
When we take things we do not own
But leaves the lords and ladies fine
Who takes things that are yours and mine.

The poor and wretched don’t escape
If they conspire the law to break;
This must be so but they endure
Those who conspire to make the law.

The law locks up the man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the common
And geese will still a common lack
Till they go and steal it back.
(edited 6 years ago)
Alonso de Salazar y Frias, an unexpected hero of the Spanish Inquisition, whose remarkable scepticism put a stop to what was shaping up to be one of the largest witch hunts in history. This guy personally interviewed over a thousand confessed witches, many of them children, who had been imprisoned in Navarre and were heading for near certain execution. He noticed the inconsistencies between their testimonies, tested for himself the supposed recipes of witch's potions and found them to be inert, and pleaded with the condemned to retract their confessions. He wrote up a report that condemned the liberal use of torture, and argued that witchcraft was, at most, a delusion. Alonso's findings were officially adopted by the Spanish Inquisition, and subsequently the Roman Inquisition, putting an end to witch hunts in Spain and saving potentially thousands of lives.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Alonso de Salazar y Frias, an unexpected hero of the Spanish Inquisition, whose remarkable scepticism put a stop to what was shaping up to be one of the largest witch hunts in history. This guy personally interviewed over a thousand confessed witches, many of them children, who had been imprisoned in Navarre and were heading for near certain execution. He noticed the inconsistencies between their testimonies, tested for himself the supposed recipes of witch's potions and found them to be inert, and pleaded with the condemned to retract their confessions. He wrote up a report that condemned the liberal use of torture, and argued that witchcraft was, at most, a delusion. Alonso's findings were officially adopted by the Spanish Inquisition, and subsequently the Roman Inquisition, putting an end to witch hunts in Spain and saving potentially thousands of lives.

Is consuming history of witch craft how you spend your life now? :tongue:
Pakistan at today's final
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Is consuming history of witch craft how you spend your life now? :tongue:

Pre-modern persecutions in general but mainly witches, yes :smile:.
Original post by Onde
:smile: but if he was alive today, he'd be considered very anti-democratic.

I thought Robert Harris's (fictionalised) account of his life to be very good.

I have no reason to doubt that the story of him rediscovering Archimedes's tomb is true.

As far as I know Cicero was anadvocate for the old Roman republic to prevent the era of a monarchy, or am I wrong? have not read cicero for so long.
Original post by Onde
That is correct. But he would probably have opposed a democracy.

So Cicero was maybe fighting for a form of government which was ruled by just a few people, so an aristocratic one?
Original post by Onde
I think the issue was about aristocrats being competent, the masses being ignorant, and emperors potentially being despots. Of course the masses today are somewhat more informed than in Roman times.

True, I agree with it, but did Cicero has really believe in the integrity of aristocratics? even those were capable of being despots.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending