The Student Room Group

AQA A Level English Language and Literature (new spec) - 15th June 2017

Hey :smile:

Thought I'd create a thread for the AQA English Language and Literature exam on 15th June (which I believe to be Paper 1). The texts I am studying for this paper are Frankenstein, the Paris anthology and Carol Ann Duffy (poetry anthology).

How's everyone's revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Hi, I'm doing the same but studying the Handmaid's Tale, instead of Frankenstein.

I'd say poetry is much easier this year because we're not required to make comparisons.

I can't believe they want us to remember all the contextualisations for the Anthology tho, like that's fair annoying.
In general tho, my revision is going well, yourself?
Original post by Hassanh
Hi, I'm doing the same but studying the Handmaid's Tale, instead of Frankenstein.

I'd say poetry is much easier this year because we're not required to make comparisons.

I can't believe they want us to remember all the contextualisations for the Anthology tho, like that's fair annoying.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4681218&p=71315948#post71315948
you might find this thread useful, for AS
Any good tips for Streetcar?
Reply 5
Hey guys, how did you find the exams? I did The Handmaid's tale, Paris Anthology, Streetcar Named Desire, Seamus Heaney Poems and Into The Wild.
Reply 6
Original post by mikasaa
Hey guys, how did you find the exams? I did The Handmaid's tale, Paris Anthology, Streetcar Named Desire, Seamus Heaney Poems and Into The Wild.

Hi, I also did the first 3 you've mentioned.

HMT was a lot better this year, I did the question on interactions.

I was very happy with the anthology because we had just done all the contextual info on Helen Maria Williams a lesson prior to the exam, so hopefully my mark reflects that added knowledge.

Street car was a pure beauty!! I did the question on values and I'm so relieved as ifelt it was probably the best essay i've probably written :smile:

For poetry I did Carol Ann Duffy, which was also great

How about yourself, did the exams go well for you?
Reply 7
Original post by Hassanh
Hi, I also did the first 3 you've mentioned.

HMT was a lot better this year, I did the question on interactions.

I was very happy with the anthology because we had just done all the contextual info on Helen Maria Williams a lesson prior to the exam, so hopefully my mark reflects that added knowledge.

Street car was a pure beauty!! I did the question on values and I'm so relieved as ifelt it was probably the best essay i've probably written :smile:

For poetry I did Carol Ann Duffy, which was also great

How about yourself, did the exams go well for you?

Hey! I'm glad you did well, hopefully you get the grade you want! I found HMT easy this year too! I really liked the question, I chose the one about the rituals. For the Paris Anthology we had just revised Helen Maria William's letters too! What a coincidence! 😂 However, I didn't like the poetry question because I left like I knew a lot about one of the poems, but thank god that we're not required to compare this year. I didn't like the Into The Wild question but I loved Streetcar! I chose the one about loss of control, think that was my best essay. Good luck on your results!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by mikasaa
Hey! I'm glad you did well, hopefully you get the grade you want! I found HMT easy this year too! I really liked the question, I chose the one about the rituals. For the Paris Anthology we had just revised Helen Maria William's letters too! What a coincidence! 😂 However, I didn't like the poetry question because I left like I knew a lot about one of the poems, but thank god that we're not required to compare this year. I didn't like the Into The Wild question but I loved Streetcar! I chose the one about loss of control, think that was my best essay. Good luck on your results!

Ah, I'm glad you also liked the majority of the exam! I felt certain questions were just blessings, but now we have to wait for results day which just makes anxious! I need an A, so hopefully my grade reflects my feelins about the exams. Hope u also get rhe grades u need!!
Reply 9
Heya, just wondering how everyone performed in regards to results day? I'm personally incredibly disappointed in my English grade. I knew that the paper wasn't exactly my best but I certainly wasn't expecting the grade I received (a C)-- did anyone else receive a far lower grade than expected? I'm not sure whether it's worth having my paper remarked or whether to just resit the paper next year :/ I really wanted to study English at Uni, so now I'm unsure what to do. Any advice?
Reply 10
Original post by Asteriaa
Heya, just wondering how everyone performed in regards to results day? I'm personally incredibly disappointed in my English grade. I knew that the paper wasn't exactly my best but I certainly wasn't expecting the grade I received (a C)-- did anyone else receive a far lower grade than expected? I'm not sure whether it's worth having my paper remarked or whether to just resit the paper next year :/ I really wanted to study English at Uni, so now I'm unsure what to do. Any advice?

Hello, personally I was happy with my result (A) and i suppose the texts i studied were fairly good for me.

I'd advise you, if you haven't already ask your teachers whether it's worth remarking? If not, and you decide to resit the year to improve your grade, i would recommend asking for a copy of your exam transcripts, that way you can see where you went wrong/what you did well.

I an sorry to hear that it didn't go as planned but if you're passionate about English and need a specific grade for your chosen university, resitting is not bad, just do what makes you happy :smile:
Reply 11
Hi, can anyone please help me tell me what questions were in the AQA A Level English Literature A, paper 1 and 2 of 2017. The texts I'm doing are Othello, Tess, Handmaid's Tale, Streetcar named desire, Anthology poetry and Feminine Gospels.
I know it was a while ago, but if you can remember, then that would be very helpful.
Thanks
Original post by Hassanh

HIII, what were the question for last years exam?? Please;; the handmaids tale, poetry, Paris and a streetcar
Original post by mikasaa

Hi I'm doing the exact same as you except Great Gatsby instead of ITW, do you have any tips?
Hi, is anyone using this thread for the 2018 exams?

I'm doing The Handmaid's Tale, Paris Anthology, Carol Ann Duffy (poetry), The Great Gatsby and All My Sons.

I would love to to swap revision tips etc if anyone is interested.
Original post by TheTalkingParcel

I'm doing The Handmaid's Tale, Paris Anthology, Carol Ann Duffy (poetry), The Great Gatsby and All My Sons.

Doing Great Gatsby and Paris!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by TerribleGrades
Doing Great Gatsby and Paris!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhh cool :smile: How are you revising for these texts?

I'm creating character profiles for TGG to help with perspective for the re-creative task and just annotating as much as I can in my Paris anthology.

I'm repeating my second year so if you have any questions about last year's A level paper I'd be happy to help!
Reply 17
hi! i'm doing Songs Of Innocence, HMT and Harvest for one of my papers. Does anyone have any revision resources for Harvest? There is nothing useful online ☹️
Ahhh cool :smile: How are you revising for these texts?

I'm creating character profiles for TGG to help with perspective for the re-creative task and just annotating as much as I can in my Paris anthology.

I'm repeating my second year so if you have any questions about last year's A level paper I'd be happy to help!

Advice on the coursework would be amazing😂

Hi im doing Handmaid, Paris and next year Gatsby (have already done Heaney and next year Streetcar)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending