The Student Room Group

HELP! Hairdresser dyed my hair grey instead of blond

[Short version in bold.] I have light brown hair and yesterday I got a balayage done and I asked for a cool/light blond colour for it.

I paid a lot for it because twice before I've tried to get a similar thing done and wasn't happy with the results but I told myself it's because I wasn't paying enough.

Anyhoo, in this salon, overall, it's fine, but the hair on the sides of my face is NOT blond. It is a sort of grey/white/silver maybe even light purpleish colour(?). I don't know why this happened. (Do you know why??)

After the dye and toner etc when my hair was wet I saw that straight away in the mirror and thought WTF and I was going to ask why that bit was a different colour but I didn't. When it was dry I saw it definitely was.

Even then I wasn't happy but I'm really not the type to say anything (does anyone ever complain to their hairdresser about how they've done their hair?). And I thought, perhaps I think it's worse than it is and that's why they're not sorting it out or saying anything.

Also, now I also think the salon does know they ****ed up (by mistake but just didn't say anything) because they were really excited about doing my hair saying it was the biggest change of the day and would want to post pics on their social media. They took before and after pics. They have not put my pics up but have of other clients from yesterday and today.

Now today I am sure it is this colour and it looks stupid! I tried searching on the internet about what to do but what's coming up mostly is stuff on how to dye your hair silver.

Does anybody know what I can do?

I'm hoping it will just fade on its own otherwise because really I don't know. Tomorrow I will pop into another salon and ask for advice but I don't want to pay a fortune for something it there is a cheap way to sort it.
You said "cool, light blonde" - do you know what cool colours are?

The reason your hair is that colour is because you essentially directed them to dye your hair platinum blonde, and they obliged.

It's probably best next time to take a colour picture with you (or maybe don't use arbitrary qualifiers like "cool" in a design environment where it has a very specific meaning) :tongue:

Also regarding the social media promotion they were doing, typically the management will determine what gets posted. If the hairdresser thought it looked good and presented it to the manager to be put up, and the manager/soc med team disagreed, it won't go up.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Actually I think @artful_lounger is on the money, if you google cool blonde lots of the pictures are sort of grey, some do look great though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
You said "cool, light blonde" - do you know what cool colours are?

The reason your hair is that colour is because you essentially directed them to dye your hair platinum blonde, and they obliged.

It's probably best next time to take a colour picture with you (or maybe don't use arbitrary qualifiers like "cool" in a design environment where it has a very specific meaning) :tongue:

Also regarding the social media promotion they were doing, typically the management will determine what gets posted. If the hairdresser thought it looked good and presented it to the manager to be put up, and the manager/soc med team disagreed, it won't go up.

I did show them pictures. Most of my hair is the colour I wanted, it is just the hair on the side of my face that is a different colour.
Original post by Rossagle
I did show them pictures. Most of my hair is the colour I wanted, it is just the hair on the side of my face that is a different colour.

Well if you showed them pictures of one thing and said another, they may well have tried to do both at once to keep you happy since that was basically what you were asking. Again, I think this is largely due to confusing information you gave them. Obviously if you don't like it, go see what can be done, there or elsewhere, but in general hairdressers do not make mistakes.

Any colourist is going to be pretty well versed with the chemicals and processes involved in colouring hair, and they aren't going to make rookie mistakes that someone using e.g. a home-dye kit in their shower might. While it's easy to think of them as unskilled workers, there is actually a signifcant requirement of both classroom and on the job learning required to even be allowed to do basic styling. There is virtually no chance it was a "mistake" on their part.
Original post by artful_lounger
Well if you showed them pictures of one thing and said another, they may well have tried to do both at once to keep you happy since that was basically what you were asking. Again, I think this is largely due to confusing information you gave them. Obviously if you don't like it, go see what can be done, there or elsewhere, but in general hairdressers do not make mistakes.

Any colourist is going to be pretty well versed with the chemicals and processes involved in colouring hair, and they aren't going to make rookie mistakes that someone using e.g. a home-dye kit in their shower might. While it's easy to think of them as unskilled workers, there is actually a signifcant requirement of both classroom and on the job learning required to even be allowed to do basic styling. There is virtually no chance it was a "mistake" on their part.

I didn't insist on cool but on "light" and I showed the colours in the pictures more than anything to make my point since I know we can have different ideas about what the terminology means.

However, please don't assume that I consider hairdressers as "unskilled workers". I think a lot of skill, training and practice goes into what they do, but hairdressers can mess up, weather they themselves think it or not. I've seen videos on Youtube of other girls having problems because of different ideas between them and their hairdressers.

Last year in my usual salon, I showed pictures of the hairstyle I wanted (not knowing the technique was called balayage so I didn't ask for then, I went by the pictures). The colour was great (and I let them choose the best for me) and it was well blended but it wasn't as high as I'd wanted although I'd specifically said I wanted some of it coming up high and it was like that int he pictures. So, I think that was a mistake and was the main reason I tried in a different salon this year.

Two years ago in a salon in my uni town I asked for an ombre. I didn't show pictures and I wasn't too fussed on the colour. But I specifically said I wanted it to look like it blended in naturally, basically not blocky. Afterwards many people always told my it did look like my hair just suddenly changed from one colour to another and it didn't look done by a professional (In that same salon when the manager cut my hair a few months afterward she asked me if I'd dyed my hair like that myself).

Of the 3 salons I've had my hair dyed in this one was by the far best and clearly the most professional and the stylists clearly knew better what they were doing by terminology, knowledge and technique. However, I would never believe that this colour situation was intentional, I think it was an error because we all make mistakes.

Anyway, I will go to another salon for advice but my main question here was asking for advice on what else I could do.
Reply 6
"Cool" in hair colouring means "ash" blonde which is essentially grey / silver.
I would suggest building up the courage to go back to the same salon, as it's only been one day, and let them know that it's not the colour you asked for. They will probably charge you again, because you waited a day before telling them. You shouldn't really go to a different salon because they're not aware of what your previous colourist has done (how many bleach strips, which toner).
Take a picture with you whenever you get your hair done professionally. Maybe take someone with you this time to just sit in and watch while you get your hair done, and they can help you out if you're too embarrassed to tell the colourist.
I was with you until you said

Latest