The Student Room Group

Should I take History at A-Level if i haven't done it at GCSE

Hi, I took Geography at GCSE and for me it was easy but not interesting. I'm thinking of taking History at A-Level and for a while I was stoked about taking it. That was until I though to myself 'wait, I hate politics'. I know politics is gonna be in History so I just need some input on the question above thanks
Original post by Oneiropólos
Hi, I took Geography at GCSE and for me it was easy but not interesting. I'm thinking of taking History at A-Level and for a while I was stoked about taking it. That was until I though to myself 'wait, I hate politics'. I know politics is gonna be in History so I just need some input on the question above thanks

Hello firstly I feel like History at GCSE was far too basic compared to a level so it only really helps you a tiny bit if at all.

"Politics" is very vague if yo could tell me what topics they teach at your school then I could further help :tongue:. Politics will probably only be like 0-20% of the course. Could you also tell me what part of poliics hate?
Your school most likely wouldn't allow you to take it for A level if u needed to do a GCSE in it. Therefore it will be fine to take. I heard that it's nothing like GCSE anyway.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Hello firstly I feel like History at GCSE was far too basic compared to a level so it only really helps you a tiny bit if at all.

"Politics" is very vague if yo could tell me what topics they teach at your school then I could further help :tongue:. Politics will probably only be like 0-20% of the course. Could you also tell me what part of poliics hate?

Since I never took History which is why I'm so vague I'm just going with learning politics as what I hate. I enjoy the interesting parts like the Great War, ancient Egypt and WW2
Since I never took History which is why I'm so vague I'm just going with learning politics as what I hate. I enjoy the interesting parts like the Great War, ancient Egypt and WW2

Eh to be fair politics is only a very little bit.

I study Modern american History (1917-94) the politics in it is just knowing system of government, how the president changed and how attitudes to the presideny changed (more hidtory than pol imo), knowing what Conservatism and Liberalism is, federal policies

I am doing Tudors next year and i feel like the politics is so different and less relevant.

Remember in History we dont do political science but we do political history.
(edited 6 years ago)

Hey I didn't do history GCSE but am currently doing it at a-level. would definitely recommend you take it, it is my most favourite subject and not doing it at GCSE shouldnt be problem at all! :smile:

since you've studied geography you can study history at a level as the basic skills are transferable

Quick Reply

Latest