The Student Room Group

A Level Economics or A Level Maths?

I'm about to start Year 12 and I'm wondering if I should pick Economics or Maths. GCSE Results Day is next week, so I'm not sure how well I've done on the Maths front, but I enjoyed it at GCSE and I was in top set. Economics on the other hand, I'm not sure if I would enjoy it as much as Maths. I visited both departments when I went to the open day at the Sixth Form, so I have a general overview of the topics in both courses. Economics also seems like a lot of writing too because I'm choosing History and Politics as my other 2 subjects..
Reply 1
econ
Hey @Roejo! I can't tell you what to do, and I won't. However, it sounds to me like you are understandably nervous about results next week. It's normal, don't worry! From your message, it really sounds like you prefer Maths. I think you're worried that you haven't done quite as well as you'd hoped - these worries are normal. Ultimately, it's got to be about what you want.

To me, it seems like Maths is what you're more interested in. Speak to your teachers and see what they think, they'll want what's best for you and will advise you accordingly. Both Maths and Economics would offer you a great foundation for whatever related courses you wanted to take at university, in my opinion it comes down to personal preference. Wishing you all the best of luck next week!
Reply 3
Original post by Charles III
Hey @Roejo! I can't tell you what to do, and I won't. However, it sounds to me like you are understandably nervous about results next week. It's normal, don't worry! From your message, it really sounds like you prefer Maths. I think you're worried that you haven't done quite as well as you'd hoped - these worries are normal. Ultimately, it's got to be about what you want.

To me, it seems like Maths is what you're more interested in. Speak to your teachers and see what they think, they'll want what's best for you and will advise you accordingly. Both Maths and Economics would offer you a great foundation for whatever related courses you wanted to take at university, in my opinion it comes down to personal preference. Wishing you all the best of luck next week!

Thanks for the reply and reassurance, I’ll bear this in mind!

Quick Reply

Latest