The Student Room Group

Why is mental health such a problem in young people?

Prior to the conclusion of my exams, I was hardly using this website. However, now that I use it more I often see threads mentioning how unhappy people's lives are or they still feel something missing in their life. Why is this the case in young people. Being young, this is (apparently) the best time of our lives.

But looking at statistics, depression and anxiety in young people has increased by 70% in the past 25 years. This is despite drinking, smoking, and drug taking by young people decreasing.

So why is it that people still aren't happy? Can all of this really just be down to the impact of social media, and the pressure of exams?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because people stigmatise it, the laugh at you if you are mentally ill.
70%??? really?? whats the source for this
Reply 3
There is supposedly less stigma now, so people are more willing to admit they have a problem.
fewer children are brought up in stable God-fearing families. it is no wonder things are falling apart.
Because this world is a mess and horrible for the most part
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by cloudyeyes

Sorry. Should be clear that's over the last 25 years
www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/teenage-mental-health-crisis-rates-of-depression-have-soared-in-the-past-25-years-a6894676.html%3famp

2nd paragraph
Original post by SGHD26716
Prior to the conclusion of my exams, I was hardly using this website. However, now that I use it more I often see threads mentioning how unhappy people's lives are or they still feel something missing in their life. Why is this the case in young people. Being young, this is (apparently) the best time of our lives.

But looking at statistics, depression and anxiety in young people has increased by 70%. This is despite drinking, smoking, and drug taking by young people decreasing.

So why is it that people still aren't happy? Can all of this really just be down to the impact of social media, and the pressure of exams?

from my experience, being a teenager is the most confusing thing ever. we still trying to find ourself, trying to figure out what best for our future, and most importantly we are still very fragile.

being not happy can be caused from many things actually. i am myself was depressed because bullied by my friends for having acne all over my face. Family issues can caused depression also. Again, I said. Teenagers still can't handle problems and issues at very best because we are still in adaptation time from childhood for being an adult.

But i can say, social media do has big roles in making these problem worse. :biggrin:
Original post by ffqfqfqwf
Also because cuunts like @Plantagenet Crown mocking mentally ill people. Mocking religious people and mocking astrologers.

PC is a very nice man. he is very understanding about my interest in astrology which i share on my Horoscope Blog.

But looking at statistics, depression and anxiety in young people has increased by 70% in the past 25 years. This is despite drinking, smoking, and drug taking by young people decreasing.

its all because of the the really fast paced lifestyle combined with the misuse of emerging technology .

plus the world is a cruel place

plus england is already a rather depressing and lonely place

But looking at statistics, depression and anxiety in young people has increased by 70%. This is despite drinking, smoking, and drug taking by young people decreasing.

Well, I can't say why people have mental health problems. But a problem that you see a lot online is anxiety and you're more likely to hear about online rather than irl because, well they are anxious, same with depressed people, they leave the house much less often than others.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/teenage-mental-health-crisis-rates-of-depression-have-soared-in-the-past-25-years-a6894676.html

"Rates of depression and anxiety among teenagers have increased by 70 per cent in the past 25 years / Illustration by Matt Murphy"
This is just one of the many links to the same stat
Original post by study beats
its all because of the the really fast paced lifestyle combined with the misuse of emerging technology .

plus the world is a cruel place

plus england is already a rather depressing and lonely place

england? really? haha I've dreamed to come to england one day. ps I'm from indonesia
i think a big part of it is a more developed understanding of mental illness. people are more likely to acknowledge the symptoms nowadays.
i could be totally wrong though
Original post by jasminev
england? really? haha I've dreamed to come to england one day. ps I'm from indonesia

you can come to england as a tourist for a nice holiday or short term stay then its all good.

however if you live here long enough, you will soon feel lonely and depressed. Everyone here will also agree with me.
Reply 15
i think a big part of it is a more developed understanding of mental illness. people are more likely to acknowledge the symptoms nowadays.
i could be totally wrong though

Original post by 2-99
There is supposedly less stigma now, so people are more willing to admit they have a problem.

Original post by ffqfqfqwf
Because people stigmatise it, the laugh at you if you are mentally ill.

Yes I agree. However, my question is why are they having these problems in the first place. Is our society that bad a place for young people?
Original post by jasminev

The country is great but the facts don't lie 'Britain amongst the most depressed and anxious countries in the world, search data suggests' - http://www.itv.com/news/2017-05-10/britain-is-the-seventh-most-depressed-country-in-the-world-search-data-suggests/
Reply 17
Yes I agree. However, my question is why are they having these problems in the first place. Is our society that bad a place for young people?

Yes, there is a pressure to be perfect, to be the best, and I guess that doesn't help our generation.

My issues stem from my upbringing and psychological issues, but I don't think personally society has ****ed me over.
Original post by study beats
you can come to england as a tourist for a nice holiday or short term stay then its all good.

however if you live here long enough, you will soon feel lonely and depressed. Everyone here will also agree with me.

i can agree with the start but not 'everyone' is depressed, a lot of people don't understand the topic plus it has a really negative stigma around it which doesn't help sufferers of depression.
Reply 19
Life is moving faster and becoming more competitive in a globalised and more technological world. Not to mention the financial bleakness that we have experienced such as 2008, rapidly rising property prices, austerity, increased tuition fees with high interest rates, feeling neglected by politicans etc

Quick Reply

Latest