The Student Room Group

Why is mental health such a problem in young people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moonstruck16
My father is a narcissist and I haven't seen my mother since I was 18 - no idea where she is. I'm pretty miserable when I'm away from university but I can't really change anything now, not before I graduate. Hopefully, this will be my last summer holiday at home.

Consider yourself very lucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope things get well soon for all that means, i know my words may not mean much but i wish you the best for the future.
Original post by SGHD26716
Still an unbelievable number though. 1 in 5 adolescents.

If that was for a physical disease, there would be an outrage.

I know, it's unbelievable. But as a 17 year old i cannot do much, i don't even get the right to vote till next year which is too late as elections have passed and things are going down hill from here.
Prior to the conclusion of my exams, I was hardly using this website. However, now that I use it more I often see threads mentioning how unhappy people's lives are or they still feel something missing in their life. Why is this the case in young people. Being young, this is (apparently) the best time of our lives.

But looking at statistics, depression and anxiety in young people has increased by 70% in the past 25 years. This is despite drinking, smoking, and drug taking by young people decreasing.

So why is it that people still aren't happy? Can all of this really just be down to the impact of social media, and the pressure of exams?

Because there is no guidance and schools don't and won't acknowledge it.
Reply 43
Original post by MissBravo
I know, it's unbelievable. But as a 17 year old i cannot do much, i don't even get the right to vote till next year which is too late as elections have passed and things are going down hill from here.

Don't worry, the way things are going we'll probably have an election next year
Personally i hate it when people minimize peoples problems "oh you're only 17 you haven't seen the world" it make you feel so small and as if you don't matter. You make some great points.

If i were to advice parents id tell them to not make their kids problems seem small because to the kid or whoever at the time they are huge.

Exactly
Also, people will often say it without actually knowing what somebody is going through.
People need to stop and listen for a while before passing judgement and making comments like that. I would have never opened up fully to somebody before testing the waters with a smaller issue. If they were dismissive about that there's no way I was going to bare my soul to them!
Reply 45
Original post by Xopher_
Because there is no guidance and schools don't and won't acknowledge it.

Why though?

At my school you had PSHE like once a term so we talked about mental health twice. Not great.
Don't worry, the way things are going we'll probably have an election next year

I may have lived in the UK since i was 6 but if it keeps getting worse they will start deporting people at this rate. I'm lucky i live in an accepting area so i don't get threats and people treat me as if i was a British citizen. I'd say the political and economical state of the country scares the s**t out of me.
Original post by Kindred
Exactly
Also, people will often say it without actually knowing what somebody is going through.
People need to stop and listen for a while before passing judgement and making comments like that. I would have never opened up fully to somebody before testing the waters with a smaller issue. If they were dismissive about that there's no way I was going to bare my soul to them!

You genuinely sound like a great person, who has an amazing way of presenting your opinion which is very relatable and understandable. I think many people get stuck in what to say and go with whatever anyone else is saying or go from their experience. Education systems don't really teach a good way of approaching someone in a bad state. Forcing people to talk wont help anyone.
Unfortunately I can't do anything for you but wish you the best for the future. Good luck.

It's ok. I feel like in a storm now and don't know if I'll make it out or not, but if I do, I have life plans that I am looking forward to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe mental illness is increasing because alcohol and drug use is decreasing
Reply 50
It's ok. I feel like in a storm now and don't know if I'll make it out or not, but if I do, I have life plans that I am looking forward to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fingers crossed you do.
I hope things get well soon for all that means, i know my words may not mean much but i wish you the best for the future.

They mean a lot, thanks :smile: It's funny but randos on this forum know more about what's going on in my life than anyone I know in real life haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Maybe mental illness is increasing because alcohol and drug use is decreasing

So you're saying in the past people would have hid their problems by alcohol and drugs?

I'm more concerned over the amount of people suffering from mental illnesses.
It's simple. The older generations continue to stick it to the younger generations who ultimately have to deal with their mess. Whether that be finances, climate change or politics. The pressure placed on them during exam periods and the ideology to be perfect and unrealistic expectations portrayed by the media and reality tv.
Why though?

At my school you had PSHE like once a term so we talked about mental health twice. Not great.

My best friends councilor left the school without even telling her and it's been a struggle ever since. The school have limited councilors to talk to who can manage such a huge school, this is all due to limited funding. In addition, some councilors are really late to appointments and people with anxiety and depression already feel rubbish and usually won't wait all the time and get frustrated. i feel like it's not taken seriously enough.
Reply 55
My best friends councilor left the school without even telling her and it's been a struggle ever since. The school have limited councilors to talk to who can manage such a huge school, this is all due to limited funding. In addition, some councilors are really late to appointments and people with anxiety and depression already feel rubbish and usually won't wait all the time and get frustrated. i feel like it's not taken seriously enough.

What would you say are the solutions then?
They mean a lot, thanks :smile: It's funny but randos on this forum know more about what's going on in my life than anyone I know in real life haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's perfectly understandable. The person that knows most about me is some random guy who lives miles away from me who i feel i can trust and talk to unlike people around me.
Reply 57
Because capitalism
What would you say are the solutions then?

I think the government (don't care who is government it impacts any party) should stop ignoring the whole problem Britain faces and stop cutting school money as they are already limited. If they funded schools properly and schools took it seriously and sorted the issues out kids think they are facing it would help. But the basic things like bullying needs to be faced too and so many other issues. This may seem harsh but people need to also stop having kids with people they don't love, kids need two caring parents with limited issues, or at least keep the issues quite, believe it or not kids hear a lot while they are young.

This is a huge issues and can only be dealt with if everyone was willing to help in some way.

Debate clubs at school should start this off, raise attention to the matter. i know it's easier said than done.
So you're saying in the past people would have hid their problems by alcohol and drugs?

I'm more concerned over the amount of people suffering from mental illnesses.

Yes what I am saying is that mental illness may have always been as prevalent as it today, it's just that older generations used alcohol and drugs to cover it more than we do.
My granddad used to drink at least 10 pints a day, which increased after his wofe died. I never asked him if he suffered from anything but I suspect he did, he has dementia now.
All his friends used to drink a lot as well.

Quick Reply

Latest