The Student Room Group

Man, 20, dies following police pursuit.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
You should copy this and send it to everyone claiming he died from an overdose despite the fact that nobody knows what was in his mouth or the quantity

They're not the ones accusing a potentially innocent police officer of murder without knowing the facts.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
They're not the ones accusing a potentially innocent police officer of murder without knowing the facts.

But they are the ones accusing a potentially innocent man of fatally overdosing on illegal drugs without knowing the facts.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Whiskey&Freedom
He shouldn't have put something in his mouth then. Typical criminal.

Original post by The RAR
Gets what he deserves, if you avoid the law you should be prepared for the consequences

They deserve consequences sure, but death? Surely not.
But they are the ones accusing a potentially innocent man of fatally overdosing on illegal drugs without knowing the facts.

And you seriously think that is comparable? :lol: ****ing hell.

Also, not sure if you're noticed, but they are the ones who have been suggested we actually wait for the reports on his death before jumping to conclusions. Whereas, the blm brigade...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IamJacksContempt
And you seriously think that is comparable? :lol: ****ing hell.

Also, not sure if you're noticed, but they are the ones who have been suggested we actually wait for the reports on his death before jumping to conclusions. Whereas, the blm brigade...

Of course it is comparable. They are jumping to potentially dangerous conclusions. Why is that funny? How would you feel if your loved one was accused of killing themselves without ruling out the possibility that someone else might have killed them? A member of the law enforcement might I add.

They are hypocrites for suggesting we wait for further investigation whilst coming up with their own conclusions. Who mentioned BLM?
Reply 65
In situations like this, you learn a lot more about the public's inherent view on black people, more than corruption within the police force.Police brutality, or the use of excessive force, is not news, at least, not to black people - who are imprisoned and receive longer sentences for the same crimes as their white counterparts.

But.. No point debating, it is what it is. Sheer lack of empathy is always depressing.

I think when you've grown up in particular areas in London, you can understand the environment children are subjected to that essentially leads them on the path. This notion that these people/criminals are inherently bad and the Met Police are inherently good, is quite... Never mind.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Boredom101
I personally don't think its fair to call BLM activists muppets. Majority of the time they are fighting for injustice. Of course you will have some that are more extreme than others but that is in every pressure group.

BLM seem more like a hate group to me and there have been many instances of violence. Their bad behaviour has been excused because they are black. This cases appears to involve a seasoned criminal (at 20!) who killed himself because he didn't want to deal with the consequences of his actions. Nobody would give a damn if he was white, which is slightly disturbing.
Original post by YaliaV
BLM seem more like a hate group to me and there have been many instances of violence. Their bad behaviour has been excused because they are black. This cases appears to involve a seasoned criminal (at 20!) who killed himself because he didn't want to deal with the consequences of his actions. Nobody would give a damn if he was white, which is slightly disturbing.

He killed himself did he? So you will just the video of the police officer sitting on his chest and choking him into unconsciousness? Of course people will act like that didn't happen.
Original post by The RAR
Gets what he deserves, if you avoid the law you should be prepared for the consequences

Surely death is a bit extreme.
Original post by Yawn11
In situations like this, you learn a lot more about the public's inherent view on black people, more than corruption within the police force.Police brutality, or the use of excessive force, is not news, at least, not to black people - who are imprisoned and receive longer sentences for the same crimes as their white counterparts.

But.. No point debating, it is what it is. Sheer lack of empathy is always depressing.

I think when you've grown up in particular areas in London, you can understand the environment children are subjected to that essentially leads them on the path. This notion that these people/criminals are inherently bad and the Met Police are inherently good, is quite... Never mind.

I'm sure there is racism in the police, but I can't imagine every police officer is racist. Assuming racism in every case involving a black person is bigoted in itself. Black people are probably more likely to come from a poor background, so more likely to be involved in crime.

An article from The Guardian does say there is a disparity, but I found this line interesting:

"One cultural difference, Done said, is a "greater propensity for black young people not to plead guilty than white young people". Black youths consequently received longer sentences because credit is given for early guilty pleas."

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2011/nov/25/ethnic-variations-jail-sentences-study

I think you get about 1/3 off your sentence if you plead guilty, so that could account for at least some of the disparity. I've also read that black people are more likely to resist arrest, which wouldn't help in sentencing. I'm sure there is racism, but it isn't always as simple as that.
Reply 70
Original post by YaliaV
I'm sure there is racism in the police, but I can't imagine every police officer is racist. Assuming racism in every case involving a black person is bigoted in itself. Black people are probably more likely to come from a poor background, so more likely to be involved in crime.

An article from The Guardian does say there is a disparity, but I found this line interesting:

"One cultural difference, Done said, is a "greater propensity for black young people not to plead guilty than white young people". Black youths consequently received longer sentences because credit is given for early guilty pleas."

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2011/nov/25/ethnic-variations-jail-sentences-study

I think you get about 1/3 off your sentence if you plead guilty, so that could account for at least some of the disparity. I've also read that black people are more likely to resist arrest, which wouldn't help in sentencing. I'm sure there is racism, but it isn't always as simple as that.

Not seeking a debate on racism. Often the presence of racism is acknowledged and then followed with a "but".

I was merely highlighting lack of empathy towards criminal, especially those of ethnic minorities.

Have a great day.
What does that have to do with anything?! So because he was declared dead at hospital, that means that the cause of death couldn't have been due to the police officers actions? You're the one who needs to use their common sense love.

I'm saying you are far too quick to blame the police. You clearly have an agenda.
Of course it is comparable. They are jumping to potentially dangerous conclusions. Why is that funny? How would you feel if your loved one was accused of killing themselves without ruling out the possibility that someone else might have killed them? A member of the law enforcement might I add.

They are hypocrites for suggesting we wait for further investigation whilst coming up with their own conclusions. Who mentioned BLM?

Hypocrites?!

It's called due process.
I'm not seeing anything wrong with this? You can clearly see the officer trying to remove something from the guys mouth after bringing him to the ground.
How come in the case of the white woman that was killed by a Somali police officer, the bluelivesmatter brigade suddenly went silent.

I've noticed that when the victim of police brutality is a minority then everyone suddenly tries to justify the actions of the police officer no matter how innocent the victim might have been but when it's not there's deafening silence.
No one jumping to the defense of the black police officer because it must have been racially motivated but white on black police brutality is never racially motivated.

This automatically rubbishes the views of the people on this thread that jumped to defend the police without waiting for the investigation to be over.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Dodgypirate
I'm saying you are far too quick to blame the police. You clearly have an agenda.

Nah, I'm using my common sense based on the evidence that I have seen.

You are jumping to conclusions based on a sheer possibility, whilst ignoring the only evidence that exists right now. You're the one with the agenda.
Original post by Dodgypirate
Hypocrites?!

It's called due process.

Right, so it's called due process when you come to a conclusion, but it's called having an agenda when I come to a conclusion?
(edited 6 years ago)
i predict a roti

:bhangra:
Original post by Foo.mp3

but to discern patterns, commit them to memory, form concordant judgements, and to be prepared to act accordingly, is not only acceptable but entirely human and often useful (as a survival mechanism, quite apart from anything else). It's what sets us apart from now extinct protohuman lines, who failed to adapt to environmental/tribal threats :yy:

Would you then say I am justified in having my guard up if I'm in a room full of white people/right wing people because it's safe to assume some of them will be racist towards me?

I mean, I understand your general point but that reasoning will have to apply to everything because it seems to be one rule for certain political movements and another rule for the others.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by the bear
i predict a roti

:bhangra:

Served with a curry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending