The Student Room Group

Man, 20, dies following police pursuit.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yawn11
Not seeking a debate on racism. Often the presence of racism is acknowledged and then followed with a "but".

I was merely highlighting lack of empathy towards criminal, especially those of ethnic minorities.

Have a great day.

Rudeness and defensiveness when debating often indicates that the person isn't really confident in their opinion.

You see things in black and white. It may be difficult to accept that life isn't really that simplistic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3
To some extent, yes, depending upon how you present yourself/speak/behave vs. quite how far to the right they are (also bearing in mind that you are a female, and hence perceived as being less of a direct threat than a young black male equivalent)

My points are always universally applicable, and universally applied, where this is concordant with truth and humanity. I have no time for people who allow narrow self-interest to distort their purported 'prinicples', particularly not where this runs into the realms of hypocrisy

Thanks for explaining :hat2:
Original post by YaliaV
BLM seem more like a hate group to me and there have been many instances of violence. Their bad behaviour has been excused because they are black. This cases appears to involve a seasoned criminal (at 20!) who killed himself because he didn't want to deal with the consequences of his actions. Nobody would give a damn if he was white, which is slightly disturbing.

Thats why I said majority of the time. Wow actually they would care if he was white. I certainly would, because BLM started in order to confront police brutality towards POC, it has then since advocated for not just Black lives but people of ethnic minorities and people that have been abused by the police/ killed by police e.g. Justine Ruszczyk, I never defended the man, you can see my previous comments. I said what he did was wrong. He swallowed the drug in order to prevent himself from being arrested because he probably thought that if there is no evidence then he can't be prosecuted, the policeman tried to reach into his mouth to remove the item and as a result he suffocated.
Listen, I just said I don't think its fair to call them muppets and the so called "Bad behaviour" hasn't been excused actually they face criticism and are arrested daily so I don't necessarily understand what you mean. Every pressure group has instances of violence, it's nothing new. Some people are more extreme than others.
Original post by StrawbAri
How come in the case of the white woman that was killed by a Somali police officer, the bluelivesmatter brigade suddenly went silent.

I've noticed that when the victim of police brutality is a minority then everyone suddenly tries to justify the actions of the police officer no matter how innocent the victim might have been but when it's not there's deafening silence.
No one jumping to the defense of the black police officer because it must have been racially motivated but white on black police brutality is never racially motivated.

This automatically rubbishes the views of the people on this thread that jumped to defend the police without waiting for the investigation to be over.

Are you comparing a case where a woman called the police and was then shot by one of them with the police chasing someone and their death of currently unknown causes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Original post by cherryred90s
Nowhere does it say that he died from an overdose, so stop making things up.

I'm not trying to make the UK America, but don't try and be sly by putting it all down to an overdose. If someone sat on your chest and choked you for two minutes, you would fall into unconsciousness too

I put in in inverted commas because it's not been proven yet lmao just you wait and see... we ain't in Texas
Original post by E102
I put in in inverted commas because it's not been proven yet lmao just you wait and see... we ain't in Texas

In the meantime, perhaps you should watch the footage.
Original post by loveleest
Him swaling a pill did not kill him. I think you are the moron if you actually think him swallowing a pill killed him. The officers clearly strangled him.

The officer looked to be trying to remove whatever he had swallowed.
Original post by E102

In the meantime, perhaps you should watch the footage.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/rashan-charles-rashman-rash-man-dies-police-east-london-hackney-video-metropolitan-police-ipcc-a7855631.html

I will save you the effort of looking
Original post by Meany Pie
Are you comparing a case where a woman called the police and was then shot by one of them with the police chasing someone and their death of currently unknown causes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not comparing it with this one in particular.
Just making a general observation on public reaction and how certain people are only insanely defensive of the police when it suits them. That is to say, if you look at some of the posts even in this thread you get the 'if you disrespect the police you deserve to be shot' mentality but that only applies to minority cases for them.
These types of people pop up with that excuse for every case where you have a minority shot at by police (even Philando Castille and the therapist of that autistic person) and demand that the police are always justified in their decisions and must be respected at all times plus deny the existence of racially motivated police brutality completely.
This line of reasoning didn't seem to apply with the Australian woman's death.

This issue just brought that up for me. Could've made a separate thread about it but :dontknow:
(edited 6 years ago)
Not comparing it with this one in particular.
Just making a general observation with public reaction and how certain people are only insanely defensive of the police when it suits them. That is to say, if you look at some of the posts even in this thread you get the 'if you disrespect the police you deserve to be shot' mentality but that only applies to minority cases for them.
These types of people pop up with that excuse for every case where you have a minority shot at by police (even Philando Castille and the therapist of that autistic person) and demand that the police are always justified in their decisions and must be respected at all times plus deny the existence of racially motivated police brutality completely.
This line of reasoning didn't seem to apply with the Australian woman's death.

This issue just brought that up for me. Could've made a separate thread about it but :dontknow:

The Australian woman wasn't running from the police having been in a vehicle that had failed to stop, she was walking up to a police car she had called to report a crime, there are huge differences in both cases and it is disingenuous to even compare them in such a way.

The only real comparison is that we don't really know what actually happened in either cases.
(edited 6 years ago)
The Australian woman wasn't running form the police having been in a vehicle that had failed to stop, she was walking up to a police car she had called to report a crime, there are huge differences in both cases and it is disingenuous to even compare them in such a way.

The only real comparison is that we don't really know what actually happened in either cases.

I agree but I wasn't comparing these two specifically though.
Just making a point about people's reasoning in general when the conversation of police brutality comes up.
Maybe putting it in this thread made it seem that way?

In minority cases before knowing all the information: 'Im sure the police have a good reason/maybe the police officer was disrespected/fearing for his life'

In middle class white cases before knowing all the information: 'wow the police have really ****ed up there must be justice!'
I agree but I wasn't comparing these two specifically though.
Just making a point about people's reasoning in general when the conversation of police brutality comes up.
Maybe putting it in this thread made it seem that way?

In minority cases before knowing all the information: 'Im sure the police have a good reason/maybe the police officer was disrespected/fearing for his life'

In middle class white cases before knowing all the information: 'wow the police have really ****ed up there must be justice!'

The footage in this case to me shows the police trying to apprehend someone while also attempting to remove what ever they swallowed.

We have very little to go on, but I think it does look like a serious cases **** up to shoot the person trying to report a crime.

Would you agree?
3 pages of posts before the official cause of death came out? Seems like jumping the gun to me.

What's embarrassing? :smile:
Original post by E102
Yep just as I predicted👍🏻

You predicted that he died of an overdose.... An article detailing that the officer attempted to remove an object from his mouth by applying pressure on the mans neck doesn't confirm your prediction in the slightest
You predicted that he died of an overdose.... An article detailing that the officer attempted to remove an object from his mouth by applying pressure on the mans neck doesn't confirm your prediction in the slightest

It can be seen that the officer is trying to remove whatever he swallowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It can be seen that the officer is trying to remove whatever he swallowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand, but how does this mean that he died from an overdose? How does it mean that his death wasn't directly caused from the officer applying immense pressure to his neck?
Reply 99

I also predicted he swallowed something before it was even known but sure Jan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending