The Student Room Group

Man, 20, dies following police pursuit.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
I understand, but how does this mean that he died from an overdose? How does it mean that his death wasn't directly caused from the officer applying immense pressure to his neck?

The only thing one would reasonably swallow when being chased by the police would be drugs so it is fair to come to the conclusion that an OD may have been likely especially if for was dealing. I would hazard a guess that it was coke which when sold be lower end dealers comes in wraps (folded paper) rather than baggies (plastic resealable bags) thus leading to a higher likelihood of one of these wraps disintegrating especially so in the drama that unfolded. A coke OD can kill pretty quick as it affects the heart predominately.

It may also be possible that in the scuffle whatever he swallowed became lodged in his throat and given his unwillingness to cooperate with the police they were not able to remove this in time, but to me that seems unlikely.

Now the final option is the choke hold, although from what I saw in the video this only lasted a few seconds and I don't think that the force used by the officers would have been enough to crush his windpipe, it may have been possible but I think this is quite unlikely.

To answer we must see what the corners report concludes.
Original post by E102
I also predicted he swallowed something before it was even known but sure Jan

It was stated from the very beginning that the officers suspected he had put something in his mouth...
Original post by Meany Pie
The only thing one would reasonably swallow when being chased by the police would be drugs so it is fair to come to the conclusion that an OD may have been likely especially if for was dealing. I would hazard a guess that it was coke which when sold be lower end dealers comes in wraps (folded paper) rather than baggies (plastic resealable bags) thus leading to a higher likelihood of one of these wraps disintegrating especially so in the drama that unfolded. A coke OD can kill pretty quick as it affects the heart predominately.

It may also be possible that in the scuffle whatever he swallowed became lodged in his throat and given his unwillingness to cooperate with the police they were not able to remove this in time, but to me that seems unlikely.

Now the final option is the choke hold, although from what I saw in the video this only lasted a few seconds and I don't think that the force used by the officers would have been enough to crush his windpipe, it may have been possible but I think this is quite unlikely.

To answer we must see what the corners report concludes.

That's a very precise conclusion you've came to. It really amazes me how you believe that to be the most likely cause of death without knowing what was in his mouth. You view your conclusion (which is essentially fictional at this point) as being more worthy than what you have seen with your own eyes. Surely the events must have happened exactly the way you imagined in order for your theory to prove true?

Based on the only evidence that exists right now, I think that the most likely cause of death is that that when the officer put his hand in his mouth to try and retrieve the object, he may have unintentionally pushed it further down into his throat. This coupled with being put in a chokehold and with someone bearing their weight on your chest can easily lead to death.

But sure, let's leave it to the coroners
(edited 6 years ago)
That's a very precise conclusion you've came to. It really amazes me how you believe that to be the most likely cause of death without knowing what was in his mouth. You view your conclusion (which is essentially fictional at this point) as being more worthy than what you have seen with your own eyes. Surely the events must have happened exactly the way you imagined in order for your theory to prove true?

Based on the only evidence that exists right now, I think that the most likely cause of death is that that when the officer put his hand in his mouth to try and retrieve the object, he may have unintentionally pushed it further down into his throat. This coupled with being put in a chokehold and with someone bearing their weight on your chest can easily lead to death.

But sure, let's leave it to the coroners

I can't see why anyone would swallow anything other than drugs when being chased by the police. What else would someone put in their mouth?

It is speculation as that is all anyone can do at this point. There is no need to be defensive.
I can't see why anyone would swallow anything other than drugs when being chased by the police. What else would someone put in their mouth?

It is speculation as that is all anyone can do at this point. There is no need to be defensive.

Oh I accept that it could have been a drug, but to believe that it was cocaine wrapped in folded paper that disintegrated into his stomach leading to a fatal overdose is one hell of an assumption.

I'm not trying to be defensive, but I do find it very odd that according to you, having an object lodged in your throat, pressure applied to your neck and a heavy weight placed on your chest is unlikely to lead to unconsciousness or death
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh I accept that it could have been a drug, but to believe that it was cocaine wrapped in folded paper that disintegrated into his stomach leading to a fatal overdose is one hell of an assumption.

I'm not trying to be defensive, but I do find it very odd that according to you, having an object lodged in your throat, pressure applied to your neck and a heavy weight placed on your chest is unlikely to lead to unconsciousness or death

We shall see.

The choke hold didn't last long and he was still conscious when the non uniform officer finally made it possible to make the arrest. His air intake would have had to have been cut off for several minutes to cause lasting damage and even longer to actually kill.

However even if this is the cause of death the blame does not entirely lie on police.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 106
It was stated from the very beginning that the officers suspected he had put something in his mouth...

Not on the News on TV which is where I first saw it
We shall see.

The choke hold didn't last long and he was still conscious when the non uniform officer finally made it possible to make the arrest. His air intake would have had to have been cut off for several minutes to cause lasting damage and even longer to actually kill.

However even if this is the cause of death the blame does not entirely lie on police.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The chokehold was visible for a few seconds but then the officer had his back to the camera, so we've no idea how long he may have been applying pressure to his neck, whether it was intentional or not. Just because he was conscious, it doesn't mean that he wasn't struggling to breathe. If something was removed from his throat at the hospital where he was declared dead, we've no idea how long his airway may have been blocked whilst he was unconscious .

If this is the cause of death, it begs the question why the two officers couldn't have just arrested him if they suspected he was in possession of drugs, and then perhaps he would still be alive.
(edited 6 years ago)
The chokehold was visible for a few seconds but then the officer had his back to the camera, so we've no idea how long he may have been applying pressure to his neck, whether it was intentional or not. If something was removed from his throat at the hospital where he was declared dead, we've no idea how long his airway may have been blocked whilst he was unconscious .

If this is the cause of death, it begs the question why the two officers couldn't have just arrested him if they suspected he was in possession of drugs, and then perhaps he would still be alive.

They were trying to arrest him, he wasn't exactly cooperative.

It is their duty to at least try to stop him from harming himself and swallowing drugs is harming yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They were trying to arrest him, he wasn't exactly cooperative.

It is their duty to at least try to stop him from harming himself and swallowing drugs is harming yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There were two of them and he was already on the ground. It's not difficult to then put his hands behind his back, handcuff him and then take him out of the shop.

It's also their duty to not cause any harm to him. Once the man started resisting, the officer should have considered that the object could get stuck in his throat during a struggle.

Anyway, this is just going in circles now. We'll just have to wait for the cause of death.
There were two of them and he was already on the ground. It's not difficult to then put his hands behind his back, handcuff him and then take him out of the shop.

It's also their duty to not cause any harm to him. Once the man started resisting, the officer should have considered that the object could get stuck in his throat during a struggle.

Anyway, this is just going in circles now. We'll just have to wait for the cause of death.

If it was that easy they would have done it.

If their duty was not to harm anyone they would never be able to do their job. So anyone that swallows something should just be left alone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it was that easy they would have done it.

Right, so explain what made it so difficult to arrest him from the very beginning? Because from watching the footage many times, I am struggling to see how it was not possible.

If their duty was not to harm anyone they would never be able to do their job

Not true, especially in this case. Even before he was thrown to the floor, the officer had both of Rashans hands behind his back. He could've arrested him at that point and avoided the whole ordeal.

So anyone that swallows something should just be left alone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

"If officers know or suspect that a detainee has swallowed or packed drugs, either for the purpose of trafficking or to avoid imminent arrest or detention by the police, they must treat the person as being in need of urgent medical attention and transfer them straight to hospital"

https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Documents/learning-the-lessons/29/Bulletin_29_Case8.pdf
Right, so explain what made it so difficult to arrest him from the very beginning? Because from watching the footage many times, I am struggling to see how it was not possible.

Not true, especially in this case. Even before he was thrown to the floor, the officer had both of Rashans hands behind his back. He could've arrested him at that point and avoided the whole ordeal.

"If officers know or suspect that a detainee has swallowed or packed drugs, either for the purpose of trafficking or to avoid imminent arrest or detention by the police, they must treat the person as being in need of urgent medical attention and transfer them straight to hospital"

https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Documents/learning-the-lessons/29/Bulletin_29_Case8.pdf

He was sent to hospital, where he later died.

Because he resisting arrest, did that part not seem apparent to you?

If he could have done, he would have done. The officer is not going to put himself in unnecessary danger. You know what could have really avoided this whole ordeal? Not running from the police, had you thought of that one?

Which is why they attended with a force medic and called the ambulance, that doesn't mean they aren't going to arrest them.
Original post by Dodgypirate
He was sent to hospital, where he later died.

Why do you keep saying this?
Because he resisting arrest, did that part not seem apparent to you?

If he could have done, he would have done. The officer is not going to put himself in unnecessary danger. You know what could have really avoided this whole ordeal? Not running from the police, had you thought of that one?

Which is why they attended with a force medic and called the ambulance, that doesn't mean they aren't going to arrest them.

For the second time, the officer had both of Rashans hands behind his back. He could have arrested him at this point, but he chose not to and instead he threw him to the floor which may have seriously harmed him.

The officer wasn't put in unnecessary danger, rashan was.

Yes he was wrong for resisting, but death shouldn't be the outcome. I'm sure police deal with people resisting arrest all the time.

Do you honestly believe that there was no way to prevent his death?

It was stated that the ambulance crew attended only after he was 'taken ill'
For the second time, the officer had both of Rashans hands behind his back. He could have arrested him at this point, but he chose not to and instead he threw him to the floor which may have seriously harmed him.

The officer wasn't put in unnecessary danger, rashan was.

Yes he was wrong for resisting, but death shouldn't be the outcome. I'm sure police deal with people resisting arrest all the time.

Do you honestly believe that there was no way to prevent his death?

It was stated that the ambulance crew attended only after he was 'taken ill'

You don't need to repeat yourself. The officer clearly didn't feel safe arresting him while he was standing.

By his own doing, swallowing drugs and running from the police generally puts one in danger.

No, it shouldn't be the outcome.

It wasn't going to attend before since he was "taken ill" after the arrest.
Why do you keep saying this?

Because it's important (?)
test
You don't need to repeat yourself. The officer clearly didn't feel safe arresting him while he was standing.

But he didn't arrest him when he was on the floor either.

By his own doing, swallowing drugs and running from the police generally puts one in danger.

He wasn't running, he was resisting, and bear in mind that not being able to breathe can induce violent resist and struggle because your body is frantically searching for air. You even see his arm flailing about.

No, it shouldn't be the outcome.

So do you think that they could have handled the situation differently?

It wasn't going to attend before since he was "taken ill" after the arrest.

Yes but the IPCC states that if an officer suspects that someone has swallowed drugs, the police should take them to hospital immediately, not after they start to become ill.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending