The Student Room Group

Drama School Applicants for 2018 Entry Help

Hi everyone,
So this will be a long paragraph as I need help deciding what I currently need to do. This year, I have finished my A-levels and have unsuccessfully applied for medicine, which was a shame as my parents have spent much money getting me through private school but I just could not ace the interviews, despite tons of hard-work through high school and college. Anyway, this also made me realize that I now really want to pursue my actual dream career- acting. It may sound crazy as they are very different lives, but about a year ago I had a deep think about what I wanted to do in my life and to become an actor was more appealing to me than to become a doctor. I really wanted to be on-screen in films or TV shows like some of my biggest inspirations and influence the way people feel like they do. I still feel the same now, especially after being rejected from medicine. So I am now on a gap year, and have researched how to get into acting. My parents still want me to be a doctor, but I honestly feel destined to go down this road instead, and am willing to put all my energy into acting. I found that applying for drama school is my best bet to entering the world of acting, and most young successful actors from the UK seem to have graduated from these schools too. However, I've also learned that these drama schools are even more competitive than medicine! Moreover, my main issue is that I have never actually experienced local plays, be it at school or in the community. Therefore I have no idea what I would put in my personal statement. I do have some special skills (guitar, black belt, bilingual), but I'm pretty sure I need experience to put on my statement too. Ok, so now my questions- is it realistic for me to apply for drama schools such as RADA, LAMDA, Central e.t.c. for entry next year? If it is possible, how? I have no drama experience to show off but only have a burning desire to be an actor. Also, considering I am a gap year student, can i still apply for the UG 3 year BA acting courses? Unofficially now, would it be possible to lie and say I have been in random school plays, would they check? Or should I look for local theater work now here in Huddersfield and say that it is ongoing? If you think its too late for me to go for drama school, what else can I do to get into acting? Thanks very much for reading, told you it would be long! I would much appreciate any advice or questions. I just need to know what the best course of action is for me now, to become an actor. Thanks.
Hello. I would advise you to search for a nearby Speech and Drama teacher. He or she will go over the essentials with you as you don't have a lot of time. She will help you to choose two contrasting pieces for your audition, plus various other audition techniques as well. I strongly suggest you do this. As you say, Drama School [ and Acting] is more competitive than Medicine. Good luck.
P.S. I think when you apply to audition, Drama Schools list pieces that you can choose from as your audition pieces. I know they are two contrasting pieces, EG one from the Elizabethan era and one from the works of Alyn Aykborne, etc. Instead of purely Drama Schools, have you thought about auditioning for Musical Theatre Schools as well? [Although they are tough to get into as well.]
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by markova21
Hello. I would advise you to search for a nearby Speech and Drama teacher. He or she will go over the essentials with you as you don't have a lot of time. She will help you to choose two contrasting pieces for your audition, plus various other audition techniques as well. I strongly suggest you do this. As you say, Drama School [ and Acting] is more competitive than Medicine. Good luck.

Hi, thanks for both pieces of advice. So do you think a private teacher will help me with the whole application and audition process?The thing is, I live in a pretty poor location- outskirts of Huddersfield, to find a good teacher/class. Also, I have only considered drama school so far as it offers actual Acting courses. Thanks.
Original post by ha33an99
Hi, thanks for both pieces of advice. So do you think a private teacher will help me with the whole application and audition process?The thing is, I live in a pretty poor location- outskirts of Huddersfield, to find a good teacher/class. Also, I have only considered drama school so far as it offers actual Acting courses. Thanks.

Yes. A Speech and Drama teacher will help you with how to audition. Even if you just had a few, one hour classes with them it would help. Remember you will be auditioning alongside people who have been attending full time Theatre Schools since they were eleven years old. The teacher will ,after a few lessons, be able to give you a realistic assessment of your chances.
Reply 5
Yes. A Speech and Drama teacher will help you with how to audition. Even if you just had a few, one hour classes with them it would help. Remember you will be auditioning alongside people who have been attending full time Theatre Schools since they were eleven years old. The teacher will ,after a few lessons, be able to give you a realistic assessment of your chances.

You are right, thanks for the advice. I guess it is my best and quickest option for now.
You are right, thanks for the advice. I guess it is my best and quickest option for now.

One other VERY important thing I must add. Drama Schools, unlike Ballet Schools, where you HAVE to train young, actually prefer candidates auditioning who are a bit older and have some life experience. So if you are unsuccessful this year, take some lessons if you can afford them and try again.
Reply 7
One other VERY important thing I must add. Drama Schools, unlike Ballet Schools, where you HAVE to train young, actually prefer candidates auditioning who are a bit older and have some life experience. So if you are unsuccessful this year, take some lessons if you can afford them and try again.

Ah yes I recall reading that somewhere. Yeah I will make sure to get as much experience as possible should I get rejected this year. I guess I could mention that I have had some life experience through travelling and working in my gap year so far for my application this year. Thanks again :smile:
Ah yes I recall reading that somewhere. Yeah I will make sure to get as much experience as possible should I get rejected this year. I guess I could mention that I have had some life experience through travelling and working in my gap year so far for my application this year. Thanks again :smile:

No worries. Perhaps if you do a Google search of Speech and Drama teachers it will help. Can't guarantee there will one in your immediate area, but there might be. For most singing, dancing and acting training, nowadays as it is so competitive, the vast majority of young people travel quite some distance each week to attend a good teacher or school. They don't have a choice often if they want to succeed in getting in somewhere. Have you considered joining the local Youth Theatre near you if there is one or the local Amateur Dramatic Society, to get some experience perhaps, alongside researching teachers?[ I know that a lot of Coronation Street actors didn't go to traditional Drama Schools but attended the Oldham Theatre Workshop. Don't know if this is still in operation or not].
Reply 9
No worries. Perhaps if you do a Google search of Speech and Drama teachers it will help. Can't guarantee there will one in your immediate area, but there might be. For most singing, dancing and acting training, nowadays as it is so competitive, the vast majority of young people travel quite some distance each week to attend a good teacher or school. They don't have a choice often if they want to succeed in getting in somewhere. Have you considered joining the local Youth Theatre near you if there is one or the local Amateur Dramatic Society, to get some experience perhaps, alongside researching teachers?[ I know that a lot of Coronation Street actors didn't go to traditional Drama Schools but attended the Oldham Theatre Workshop. Don't know if this is still in operation or not].

Now that you have reinforced what I thought earlier, I will indeed look for local theatre opportunities in Huddersfield. Yes I think I should be willing to travel far distances now! So would you recommend only well known (locally) theatres to participate in? Interesting about the actors you have mentioned, I will look into different classes and workshops. Also, as an 18-year old, can I still be part of youth theatres?
(edited 6 years ago)
Now that you have reinforced what I thought earlier, I will indeed look for local theatre opportunities in Huddersfield. Yes I think I should be willing to travel far distances now! So would you recommend only well known (locally) theatres to participate in? Interesting about the actors you have mentioned, I will look into different classes and workshops. Also, as an 18-year old, can I still be part of youth theatres?

I don't see why not. I think ANY local theatres would provide sound experience for you, to be honest. Another bit of advice [ if you don't mind me giving it], is do NOT be tempted to go to a local college and study a BTEC in Performing Arts. This will NOT make you a professional actor and is basically worthless. If it was any use then people wouldn't bother their a rses auditioning for proper Drama Schools !! Places like the Guildhall School of Acting and Music or whatever it's called I think offer degrees level qualifications in acting. This is completely different to the BTEC at the local college in that they are serious, professional drama schools. You also just happen to get a degree as well. Many world class dance and drama schools now offer degree level qualifications. Just thought. I don't know what the upper age limit is, but the Government's DADA Awards [ Dance and Drama Awards], for accredited training institutions might be worth looking at. If nothing more than seeing their entry requirements and the standard required.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
I don't see why not. I think ANY local theatres would provide sound experience for you, to be honest. Another bit of advice [ if you don't mind me giving it], is do NOT be tempted to go to a local college and study a BTEC in Performing Arts. This will NOT make you a professional actor and is basically worthless. If it was any use then people wouldn't bother their a rses auditioning for proper Drama Schools !! Places like the Guildhall School of Acting and Music or whatever it's called I think offer degrees level qualifications in acting. This is completely different to the BTEC at the local college in that they are serious, professional drama schools. You also just happen to get a degree as well. Many world class dance and drama schools now offer degree level qualifications. Just thought. I don't know what the upper age limit is, but the Government's DADA Awards [ Dance and Drama Awards], for accredited training institutions might be worth looking at. If nothing more than seeing their entry requirements and the standard required.

Yeah, sounds good-any theatre will get me experience I guess. Oh, trust me I won't go for a BTEC or even a standard university degree in drama! I understand that these are indeed pointless when it comes to acting, and that it's the drama schools and theatre training that's important. You have been very helpful with all the advice- of course I don't mind! Thanks again!
Yeah, sounds good-any theatre will get me experience I guess. Oh, trust me I won't go for a BTEC or even a standard university degree in drama! I understand that these are indeed pointless when it comes to acting, and that it's the drama schools and theatre training that's important. You have been very helpful with all the advice- of course I don't mind! Thanks again!

Well "Break a leg" with it all anyway ! Do feel free to contact me again if you want.
Reply 13
Well "Break a leg" with it all anyway ! Do feel free to contact me again if you want.

Haha I will do! Thanks for motivating me! And sure I will do if I need to :smile: Thanks again!
Sorry this is going to be a long one!!

Being a student at a reputable school in London this is what i can tell you; If drama school is your goal you're never too old to start because they love "life experience". Getting in is not easy and while very few get in first time, many others fail, thats not to say that you won't get in first time but its important not to be disappointed/ lose confidence if you don't. As we all know the industry is a tough business and its over saturated blah blah blah but so are many other professions so go for the dream.

From experience my advice to you would be as follows: Go and do a summer school/easter school/ taster class if at all possible at your top choice school after researching them all THOROUGHLY! with drama schools as with universities its not one size fits all there will be one school here you just know you want to go. I cannot stress enough how important research is and how it will help you in your interview process. I'm not going to lie to you, this is not going to be a cheap experience but this is the best way to get to know your potential teachers and audition panel whilst giving you a taste of what you will be doing day in day out. Trust me it really gives you an advantage.

Auditions my friend are not cheap and i would advise you to get help with your monologues from a professional, you will probably also need a song, this is normally unaccompanied unless you venture into the musical theatre territory. Please please please do your research on your pieces as you will be asked about them in great detail, the panel will know if you're making it up (especially Shakespeare). For straight acting the schools that you need to be looking at are: Lamda, Rada, Bristol Old Vic and Guildhall, Rose Bruford and the Royal Welsh college of music and drama.

I hope some of this helps you a little with your exciting journey that you're about to start, so much luck to you! follow your dreams.

From The fairy godmother :wink: xx
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Bribelle
Sorry this is going to be a long one!!

Being a student at a reputable school in London this is what i can tell you; If drama school is your goal you're never too old to start because they love "life experience". Getting in is not easy and while very few get in first time, many others fail, thats not to say that you won't get in first time but its important not to be disappointed/ lose confidence if you don't. As we all know the industry is a tough business and its over saturated blah blah blah but so are many other professions so go for the dream.

From experience my advice to you would be as follows: Go and do a summer school/easter school/ taster class if at all possible at your top choice school after researching them all THOROUGHLY! with drama schools as with universities its not one size fits all there will be one school here you just know you want to go. I cannot stress enough how important research is and how it will help you in your interview process. I'm not going to lie to you, this is not going to be a cheap experience but this is the best way to get to know your potential teachers and audition panel whilst giving you a taste of what you will be doing day in day out. Trust me it really gives you an advantage.

Auditions my friend are not cheap and i would advise you to get help with your monologues from a professional, you will probably also need a song, this is normally unaccompanied unless you venture into the musical theatre territory. Please please please do your research on your pieces as you will be asked about them in great detail, the panel will know if you're making it up (especially Shakespeare). For straight acting the schools that you need to be looking at are: Lamda, Rada, Bristol Old Vic and Guildhall, Rose Bruford and the Royal Welsh college of music and drama, I'm going to be honest with you and say that the rest aren't really worth spending the money to apply for because at the end of the day when you leave you want a top school on your cv and Central, Mount View, GSA etc. just aren't what they used to be.

I hope some of this helps you a little with your exciting journey that you're about to start, so much luck to you! follow your dreams.

From The fairy godmother :wink: xx
PS: avoid amateur dramatics like the plague.... you will learn bad habits that will stay with you for a lifetime.

Hi, sorry for the late reply!
Thanks for the detailed advice. Yes I will be applying to the schools you mentioned, and will try to get involved in courses beforehand. In terms of getting proffesional help with my monologue, I will do that too. So which school are you currently at? How was your audition and for how long before applying did you prepare. Thanks.
Hey My situation is exactly the same as yours! Apart from the medical stuff, not nearly that clever.I've looked at the RADA application and the one thing I'm struggling with is the details of the previous acting experience. I've done GCSE drama and some Christmas panto with my local village. (I too am thinking of extending the truth :wink:Anyway, have you decided if you are going to apply?
Reply 17
Hi everyone,
So this will be a long paragraph as I need help deciding what I currently need to do. This year, I have finished my A-levels and have unsuccessfully applied for medicine, which was a shame as my parents have spent much money getting me through private school but I just could not ace the interviews, despite tons of hard-work through high school and college. Anyway, this also made me realize that I now really want to pursue my actual dream career- acting. It may sound crazy as they are very different lives, but about a year ago I had a deep think about what I wanted to do in my life and to become an actor was more appealing to me than to become a doctor. I really wanted to be on-screen in films or TV shows like some of my biggest inspirations and influence the way people feel like they do. I still feel the same now, especially after being rejected from medicine. So I am now on a gap year, and have researched how to get into acting. My parents still want me to be a doctor, but I honestly feel destined to go down this road instead, and am willing to put all my energy into acting. I found that applying for drama school is my best bet to entering the world of acting, and most young successful actors from the UK seem to have graduated from these schools too. However, I've also learned that these drama schools are even more competitive than medicine! Moreover, my main issue is that I have never actually experienced local plays, be it at school or in the community. Therefore I have no idea what I would put in my personal statement. I do have some special skills (guitar, black belt, bilingual), but I'm pretty sure I need experience to put on my statement too. Ok, so now my questions- is it realistic for me to apply for drama schools such as RADA, LAMDA, Central e.t.c. for entry next year? If it is possible, how? I have no drama experience to show off but only have a burning desire to be an actor. Also, considering I am a gap year student, can i still apply for the UG 3 year BA acting courses? Unofficially now, would it be possible to lie and say I have been in random school plays, would they check? Or should I look for local theater work now here in Huddersfield and say that it is ongoing? If you think its too late for me to go for drama school, what else can I do to get into acting? Thanks very much for reading, told you it would be long! I would much appreciate any advice or questions. I just need to know what the best course of action is for me now, to become an actor. Thanks.

if you are looking to get involved in theatre in Huddersfield. they are always looking for volunteers at the lawrence batley theatre. there's also a young company based at the Lawrence batley.
David Johnson 👍 my boyfriend attended and was main cast on Corrie for 3 years.not naming and names but He studied there along with many many other soap actors 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending