The Student Room Group

Only the good Uni's should survive.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cubone-r
I agree with all of your points. I've always been of the opinion that we should go back to the old tripartite system where we send those who are academically gifted to grammar schools, those who have more vocational or creative skills to technical/ art schools, and everyone else goes to the bog standard comprehensive.

aha it's nice to have someone agree......

tbh i speak from the privileged position of going to a leading private school since I was 4, so a huge investment has already been made into my future..... theres a lot to live up to now fml

Agreed - I think the re-introduction of grammar schools would work wonders, because you can begin sifting from much earlier those who have a chance of uni etc, and start dissauding those who really shouldn't go..... I maintain, everyone should have the access to it, but they need to decide if they are willing to invest in their future, and have to pay for it
Original post by brimstone131
I think you're wrong there. I disagree, because I believe education to 18 is a universal human right. No question. But this is all you need to be able to move into the world of work and start contributing to society.

However, what tuition fees do is mean students have to make a concious decision about whether investing in their future is worth the size of tax repayments.... it puts a price on either using or wasting three years of life and means they can decide if they can make a good enough investment that they ultimately will profit from it... ie.. can I earn more than i spent on the investment

I agree with you though, far too many people waste their time at uni..... they go to uni because 'its what evryone does'

I completely understand what you're saying and agree with you, but I think that my idea would be a step in the right direction. I think a big problem with the system is that to a lot of people, the loan doesn't seem like a real thing as students are constantly told not to worry about student loans, that they're not real loans. The whole mentality of 'well, I'm never really going to have to pay it back anyway' is contributing negatively to peoples decisions on the topic and almost promoting the partying lifestyle as some see it as 3 years of free money to spend (when I say some, I mean some, I know it's nowhere near the majority :tongue:).
I agree with you, but it is on earnings over 21k, that's i think the only acceptable part.... meaning you earn 31k, you repay 900 a year. I think you're right that uni's need to be held accountable, and you're right, its not fair on fresh 18y/o's.... but something needs to be done to reduce students doing degrees putting them in fields where they have no hope of repaying..... if that means scaring them a bit, i'm not sure thats too bad.

like i met up with a girl i used to live near last week.... she's doing film studies, with placement, so 4 years of her life, but doesn't actually want to do anything related as a career.... smh

The thing with that £21k threshold though that I've never seen anyone else highlight is that it's static. £21k won't be worth the same in 25 years time.

Imagine you signed up for a degree 25 years ago and the threshold then was £10k, then you never really found a graduate level position because like that girl you pointed out you took film studies so you ended up in an entry level job same as every other smuch. Things weren't so bad at first because you were only earning say £8k, but fast forward 25 years to now, maybe you're a 46-year-old team leader making a respectable £30k with a house and 3 kids. You don't owe a penny of that salary to your degree, maybe even worse it wasted 5 years of your life keeping you in education rather than getting a job. Now you agreed to 9% of everything over £10k those 25 years ago, sounded reasonable. But now that is 9% of £20k, so £1800, basically a full months salary a year, that isn't an incidental amount.

That is the situation these people will be in 25 years in the future. £21k in 25 years time will only be worth about £10k in current money, and a £30k salary now will need about £60k in 25 years to provide the same income in real terms with inflation. These people taking mickey mouse courses now are signing up to sacrifice a months salary a year in 25 years just for the fun of being at uni now.
aha it's nice to have someone agree......

tbh i speak from the privileged position of going to a leading private school since I was 4, so a huge investment has already been made into my future..... theres a lot to live up to now fml

Agreed - I think the re-introduction of grammar schools would work wonders, because you can begin sifting from much earlier those who have a chance of uni etc, and start dissauding those who really shouldn't go..... I maintain, everyone should have the access to it, but they need to decide if they are willing to invest in their future, and have to pay for it

I come from the complete opposite position. Went to your bang average comprehensive school, and then an FE college, somehow managed to get into a RG uni, graduated, and now studying in my home city for my research master's at the University of Portsmouth... hence why, I don't want ex-polytechnics to close :tongue:

As a result I have a research perspective on it, as I see and work within it daily. Good research is good research regardless of where it is being conducted. Ideas and research projects are judged on their merit not the reputation of the university. Some of the most significant research paper's in my field have come from universities I doubt anyone has ever heard of. So I don't really get the idea that all ex-polytechnics are crap and no one should go there.

My rule thumb is that you should only invest in university if the qualifications/ skills are required for the job you wish to go into, otherwise it is not worth it.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
The thing with that £21k threshold though that I've never seen anyone else highlight is that it's static. £21k won't be worth the same in 25 years time.

Imagine you signed up for a degree 25 years ago and the threshold then was £10k, then you never really found a graduate level position because like that girl you pointed out you took film studies so you ended up in an entry level job same as every other smuch. Things weren't so bad at first because you were only earning say £8k, but fast forward 25 years to now, maybe you're a 46-year-old team leader making a respectable £30k with a house and 3 kids. You don't owe a penny of that salary to your degree, maybe even worse it wasted 5 years of your life keeping you in education rather than getting a job. Now you agreed to 9% of everything over £10k those 25 years ago, sounded reasonable. But now that is 9% of £20k, so £1800, basically a full months salary a year, that isn't an incidental amount.

That is the situation these people will be in 25 years in the future. £21k in 25 years time will only be worth about £10k in current money, and a £30k salary now will need about £60k in 25 years to provide the same income in real terms with inflation. These people taking mickey mouse courses now are signing up to sacrifice a months salary a year in 25 years just for the fun of being at uni now.

agree totally

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its right/fair/just, but nobody actaully explains it to us like we've discussed on here

I don't like the fact it's static, but I think that like with any investment, you have to weigh up the risks and benefits of making it..... If you invest in your future with a sizeable chunk of money as we are, there needs to be a certainty of a return on investment.... that is to say that you know fairly well what you are going to use the degree for, and ultimately, how to pay it back
So I don't really get the idea that all ex-polytechnics are crap and no one should go there.

My rule thumb is that you should only invest in university if the qualifications/ skills are required for the job you wish to go into, otherwise it is not worth it.

Totally agree with the last sentence :smile: it's not a part of education you should do because everyone does it

However, having thought on it, I do see one reason why the ex-poly's get a bad rap..... they end up charging you the same 9k per year as oxford, cambridge etc, and tbh they don't provide anything like the facilites, education standards, alumni network or kudos the others do. When I look at it that way, it makes ex-poly's like UWE etc seem a tad overpriced
I got A*AAa and didn't go to any of the universities listed, does this mean I'm not clever? That hurts my feelings :frown:
Totally agree with the last sentence :smile: it's not a part of education you should do because everyone does it

However, having thought on it, I do see one reason why the ex-poly's get a bad rap..... they end up charging you the same 9k per year as oxford, cambridge etc, and tbh they don't provide anything like the facilites, education standards, alumni network or kudos the others do. When I look at it that way, it makes ex-poly's like UWE etc seem a tad overpriced

That's very true, there is a big difference in terms of facilities, services, etc because of the disparities in funding the universities receive. I've seen that first hand myself.

Although I would argue that some of the support and teaching practices in ex-polys is on par if not better than some higher ranking universities. During my undergraduate I received little to no assistance or actual real teaching. It was just a couple of lectures each week (which is what it mostly should be, but you'd expect some kind of "teaching" to actually take place). Ex-polys pride themselves on their teaching because it is what attracts the students at the end of the day. RG uni's know that each year they are gonna have thousands of applicants so they don't have to worry about their teaching methods too much.
These threads should just get shut down immediately, like who the **** caaaaares.

Go to uni, don't go to uni, do whatever subject you want. Literally who cares?

Live yo' life and **** errbody else
That's very true, there is a big difference in terms of facilities, services, etc because of the disparities in funding the universities receive. I've seen that first hand myself.

Although I would argue that some of the support and teaching practices in ex-polys is on par if not better than some higher ranking universities. During my undergraduate I received little to no assistance or actual real teaching. It was just a couple of lectures each week (which is what it mostly should be, but you'd expect some kind of "teaching" to actually take place). Ex-polys pride themselves on their teaching because it is what attracts the students at the end of the day. RG uni's know that each year they are gonna have thousands of applicants so they don't have to worry about their teaching methods too much.

true, some of them do deliver really good standards

I think what this calls for is more transparency in where your fees go, and what you get for the money...... if this means that poly's have to reduce their fees, then so be it..... god knows what this would have become had corbyn actually scrapped tuition fees, although it remains to be debated whether he actaully would've
Original post by scrunkie
These threads should just get shut down immediately, like who the **** caaaaares.

Go to uni, don't go to uni, do whatever subject you want. Literally who cares?

Live yo' life and **** errbody else

if you actually read the damn thread you'll see we moved on from the thread title as we all agree its crap
Reply 71
Original post by That'sGreat
Universities used to be for the top 20%, and that's how it should be again.

Poor Nigel, still bitter you didn't go to university.
if you actually read the damn thread you'll see we moved on from the thread title as we all agree its crap

iF yOu AcTUAlLY ReaAD tHe THreAd ......... yawn
iF yOu AcTUAlLY ReaAD tHe THreAd ......... yawn

cheers for the helpful input there mate :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
Poor Nigel, still bitter you didn't go to university.

That's for stealing your rep earlier :wink:
cheers for the helpful input there mate :smile:

I could say the same to you :smile:
I could say the same to you :smile:

point taken, shall we both agree to stfu :u:
Original post by Moonstruck16
As a UCL student with friends who study engineering here, you made the right choice. I've not heard one good thing about UCL Engineering.

Original post by Khanman123
I chose Manny over UCL for chemical engineering, just because its ranked highly overall doesn't mean Its great for every subject.

I can third this. There are many Unis that will be better than others in specific subjects. Engineering at UCL is a good example but there's lots more.

What's sad about these type of threads is that no one truly "clever" would share the opinion OP has.
ok so I guess this thread was bait
anyway
anyone else hyped for that NIght Trap remake?
[video="youtube;CAoCOXBE0yY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAoCOXBE0yY[/video]
Lol. I don't get why people hate on "ex-polys"

If you don't study at one, how are you able to dislike one

Like, who's really that bored.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending