The Student Room Group

Working 12 h shifts when you study nursing

Hi, do anybody work 2 days a week for 12 h as a hca when you study nursing?My loan won't be enough to survive and I have to work too but I do worry how am I going to work 2 x 12 h in a week when I am also doing 3 shifts x12 h in placement ?so it is going be together 5 x12 shifts .I don't know if I can manage🙈
Reply 1
i don’t think that is even legal?
Reply 2
Some people do it
Reply 3
Original post by Julia41
Hi, do anybody work 2 days a week for 12 h as a hca when you study nursing?My loan won't be enough to survive and I have to work too but I do worry how am I going to work 2 x 12 h in a week when I am also doing 3 shifts x12 h in placement ?so it is going be together 5 x12 shifts .I don't know if I can manage🙈

"My loan won't be enough to survive" - Does this include the £5,000 from the NHS Learning Support Fund?
Reply 4
Original post by Julia41

I think youll find it hard, especially when some placements are co.munity based so can be 9-5 monday to friday. Not all shifts are 12 hour shifts on placement.
Im currently 1st year and only gdnerally work in the holidays as my time is spent at uni or placement. Though i guess if you really need to you can manage it but it will be hard
Original post by Julia41

Hello @Julia41 [br] [br] I hope you’re well. I’m a 3rd year student midwife and I genuinely would not advise doing 2 additional shifts on top of placement. I would recommend doing 1 x12 hour shift or 1 x 8 hour shift per week as a HCA.

You need to ensure you’re well rested. I’m not sure if you’re only just starting nursing or if you’re in your 2nd / 3rd year but placement is quite draining and you’ll find that you’ll be quite tired. It’s good to have a work-life balance! See if there any other additional finance options available to you whilst at university to help with cost of living!

Best of luck,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 6
Original post by TMedi
"My loan won't be enough to survive" - Does this include the £5,000 from the NHS Learning Support Fund?

I will have 10000 with 5000 bursary and I need make another 10000 .I have morgide bills and I am helping my daughter at uni too
Reply 7
Thank you .I don't start yet Uni .I am working as a hca now full time

Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello @Julia41 [br] [br] I hope you’re well. I’m a 3rd year student midwife and I genuinely would not advise doing 2 additional shifts on top of placement. I would recommend doing 1 x12 hour shift or 1 x 8 hour shift per week as a HCA.

You need to ensure you’re well rested. I’m not sure if you’re only just starting nursing or if you’re in your 2nd / 3rd year but placement is quite draining and you’ll find that you’ll be quite tired. It’s good to have a work-life balance! See if there any other additional finance options available to you whilst at university to help with cost of living!

Best of luck,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 8
Original post by PonchoKid
I think youll find it hard, especially when some placements are co.munity based so can be 9-5 monday to friday. Not all shifts are 12 hour shifts on placement.
Im currently 1st year and only gdnerally work in the holidays as my time is spent at uni or placement. Though i guess if you really need to you can manage it but it will be hard

Thank you.I know I think it is going be hard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending