The Student Room Group

Predict your GCSE grades 2017!

Comment your predicted grades and the grades you want to achieve down below!
On results day, find your comment and reply of what you actually got!
(remember results day is August 24th!)

Scroll to see replies

Predicted : What I expect
Eng: 6 : 6/7
Maths:5 : 5
Science core: B : C
Science Additional: B : C
Drama: A : A (Hopefully A*)
Music BTEC: D : D
Geography: A : B
ICT: B : C
I swear i'm going to do great on most of my subjects apart from english language and lit, prob going to get a 3 cus i messed up. And that's going to hold me back for a year for a resit just so that i can get into chem, phys, and maths which aren't even essay based.

prob guessed it:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
watch this thread become insanely active nearer to results day
predicted:what I would expect from trial
English lit 7:8/9
English Lang 7:8
Maths 7:8
Biology a: a*
Chemistry a: a*
Physics a: a*
Geography a:a/a*
History a* : a*
Spanish a:b

I'm a bit worried about Lang as I messed up the timing on the test. Spanish I ****ed up because of my problems with sound speaking assessments and the indifference my Spanish teacher showed towards this. I managed to smash most of my predicted grades through luck because I had done amazing teachers especially for English. ( I might buy her a bar
Of chocolate as thank you but it does not even come close to repaying her for all the extra help she gave me even when she did not have to. Physics is a bit of a worry as I was stuck with a teacher who could have been replaced with a power point slide. He was crap at explaining; he just read from the power point directly and expected us to understand. I'm a bit scared due to my lack lustre year 10 scores of a 5 in lit, 4 in Lang and 5 in maths but I have made a lot of progress since.

Sorry for the long post.

Original post by _rivnn
Comment your predicted grades and the grades you want to achieve down below!
On results day, find your comment and reply of what you actually got!
(remember results day is August 24th!)
Reply 5
I only did 1 GCSE in Further Maths (Year 10).
In my past papers I got an A^. I hope I got an A^ in the real exam, but I doubt it.
If anyone here did AQA Further Maths, how did you find it?
Good luck for results day everyone! Only a month left :smile:
I want 988 7A*s...but I reckon I've got 877 5A*AA which isn't too shabby
I'm just gonna go off of my final predicted grades tbh because I have no idea. Here goes:

Biology - A*
Business Studies - A*
Chemistry - A*
Computing - A*
English Language - 7
English Literature - 7 (more like a 5/6 based on how awful the exams went)
French - A*
Geography - A
Maths - 8
Further Maths - A
Physics - A*
Product Design - A (probably a B, though based on coursework)
Original post by Aishah12345
predicted:what I would expect from trial
English lit 7:8/9
English Lang 7:8
Maths 7:8
Biology a: a*
Chemistry a: a*
Physics a: a*
Geography a:a/a*
History a* : a*
Spanish a:b

I'm a bit worried about Lang as I messed up the timing on the test. Spanish I ****ed up because of my problems with sound speaking assessments and the indifference my Spanish teacher showed towards this. I managed to smash most of my predicted grades through luck because I had done amazing teachers especially for English. ( I might buy her a bar
Of chocolate as thank you but it does not even come close to repaying her for all the extra help she gave me even when she did not have to. Physics is a bit of a worry as I was stuck with a teacher who could have been replaced with a power point slide. He was crap at explaining; he just read from the power point directly and expected us to understand. I'm a bit scared due to my lack lustre year 10 scores of a 5 in lit, 4 in Lang and 5 in maths but I have made a lot of progress since.

Sorry for the long post.

You've got this! Hard work pays off (I'm hoping!)
Did anyone else see the news article about dodgy exam marking where A grade answers were given grade E's.
It's really scared me and I'm an over thinker anyway but now I'm even worse
Original post by Skyemellor
Did anyone else see the news article about dodgy exam marking where A grade answers were given grade E's.
It's really scared me and I'm an over thinker anyway but now I'm even worse

Y r you worried? I feel like you would notice if a grade was super off. Like if the exam went well in your opinion and you had been getting a stars all year. Then you would go for a remark. Fixed. :smile:
Original post by Loci Pi
I only did 1 GCSE in Further Maths (Year 10).
In my past papers I got an A^. I hope I got an A^ in the real exam, but I doubt it.
If anyone here did AQA Further Maths, how did you find it?
Good luck for results day everyone! Only a month left :smile:

That's awesome bro! Did you sit the normal Maths GCSE too?
I sat only RE and Maths this year (year 10). I've revised a lot for Maths and love it (I was just doing some revision). But for RE... I don't think I did all that. Hopefully a 9 will make up for my RE.

Predicted:

RE (Edexcel) - B
Maths (AQA) - 9
Original post by thekidwhogames
That's awesome bro! Did you sit the normal Maths GCSE too?

No. I asked if I could self teach FM because I was interested in learning it. I thought I was going to do it in year 11. Then back in November one of the maths teachers got confused and thought the FM spec was changing in 2018 with the other 9-1 exams (it changes in 2019), and they wanted me to do it before the spec change because I had learnt it already. Then I found out the spec wasn't going to change yet after they had already entered me for the exams. At least I still have time to practise for normal maths next year :smile:
Good luck for results day!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Loci Pi
No. I asked if I could self teach FM because I was interested in learning it. I thought I was going to do it in year 11. Then back in November one of the maths teachers got confused and thought the FM spec was changing in 2018 with the other 9-1 exams (it changes in 2019), and they wanted me to do it before the spec change because I had learnt it already. Then I found out the spec wasn't going to change yet after they had already entered me for the exams. At least I still have time to practise for normal maths next year :smile:
Good luck for results day!

Ah, that's great! You already have a (hopefully) A^ in your belt! I'm in the opposite boat - I had to take normal Maths but not FM. But I also self-learnt FM - it's a lot more fun than normal maths (limiting values, stationary points, etc.)

Good luck to you too :smile:
Ah, that's great! You already have a (hopefully) A^ in your belt! I'm in the opposite boat - I had to take normal Maths but not FM. But I also self-learnt FM - it's a lot more fun than normal maths (limiting values, stationary points, etc.)

Good luck to you too :smile:

Are you doing FM next year now that you've done normal maths? I agree that FM is more fun. I personally find the FM questions easier as there is less of the questions where you are given a scenario like in normal maths.
Original post by Loci Pi
Are you doing FM next year now that you've done normal maths? I agree that FM is more fun. I personally find the FM questions easier as there is less of the questions where you are given a scenario like in normal maths.

Yeah I agree. For me FM is easier as there's less application - it's more 'raw Maths'; you're given questions that may say "differentiate this or find this stationary point and determine its nature" rather than annoying word problems in normal Maths. Next year, I will sit the new spec AS and A2 Maths and hopefully old spec FP1-FP3, S1, M1-2 (unlikely though). I suggest you also learn some A Level Maths (using examsolutions.net) as it can come in handy for normal Maths too (and A level). :smile:
Yeah I agree. For me FM is easier as there's less application - it's more 'raw Maths'; you're given questions that may say "differentiate this or find this stationary point and determine its nature" rather than annoying word problems in normal Maths. Next year, I will sit the new spec AS and A2 Maths and hopefully old spec FP1-FP3, S1, M1-2 (unlikely though). I suggest you also learn some A Level Maths (using examsolutions.net) as it can come in handy for normal Maths too (and A level). :smile:

I started self teaching the AS / A level maths using an old spec textbook after I finished FM. I have learnt C1 and C2 (they're really similar to FM), C3, D1 and some of S1. I wish I could do the AS level next year as I find it so much more interesting than normal maths GCSE, but I think my time would be better spent trying to make sure I get a good grade (hopefully 8/9) in my maths GCSE next year.

Do you have any tips for getting grade 9 in normal maths? My problem is that I often make silly mistakes like reading the question wrong or making transcription errors. In my mock exam I lost 4 marks because of this!
Which other A levels are you thinking of taking?
Original post by YourGoddamnRight
I swear i'm going to do great on most of my subjects apart from english language and lit, prob going to get a 3 cus i messed up. And that's going to hold me back for a year for a resit just so that i can get into chem, phys, and maths which aren't even essay based.

prob guessed it:

Spoiler

Saaamee . I'm not a fan of essay based subjects and so I messed up big time in my English lit exam lol can't expect a miracle
Original post by Loci Pi
I started self teaching the AS / A level maths using an old spec textbook after I finished FM. I have learnt C1 and C2 (they're really similar to FM), C3, D1 and some of S1. I wish I could do the AS level next year as I find it so much more interesting than normal maths GCSE, but I think my time would be better spent trying to make sure I get a good grade (hopefully 8/9) in my maths GCSE next year.

Do you have any tips for getting grade 9 in normal maths? My problem is that I often make silly mistakes like reading the question wrong or making transcription errors. In my mock exam I lost 4 marks because of this!
Which other A levels are you thinking of taking?

Yep, FM is similar to C1-C2 and a bit of FP1. It has the easier content of C1-C2 and one topic from FP1 if I recall correctly (matrices).

Don't revise D1 - Decision Maths has been abolished. New spec is Pure, Mechanics, Statistics (a paper each for AS and A2 for Edexcel).

Getting a 9 in Maths is hard and easy at the same time. Easy because the content is simplistic but hard as we don't know grade boundaries thus to SECURE a 9, you should always aim for 78+. Anyhow, what I did for GCSE Maths (which helped me get 79/80 in each paper):

For every topic:
- watch Mathswatch video on it
- watch examsolutions video on it
- watch random videos on YouTube to learn advanced examples of it
- go to CGP revision guide page for that topic and do the questions on there (the example and the ones on the bottom)
- go to the CGP workbook page for that topic and complete all questions for that topic (check your answers)
- go to the CGP Grade 9 workbook pages for that topic and complete all questions for that topic (some questions are quite fun)
- go to mathsgenie and do their worksheets for that topic
- go to justmaths and do their worksheets for that topic

- repeat for EVERY topic in Maths GCSE

- sit every since GCSE past paper (~past 7 papers) for (AQA, Edexcel, OCR; all 3)
- sit the CGP 9-1 practice papers (buy them)
- sit the Churchill 9-1 papers
- sit the CrashMaths papers
- sit the specimen papers
- sit all the practice set papers (and previous mocks)

I assure you, if you do this all properly - you will have NO trouble achieving 100%. This may actually be overdoing this but in doing this, you will master every topic and understand it to the fullest. Also, doing all the past 7 papers for all 3 exam boards (AQA, Edexcel, OCR) is very useful (even though the board may differ for you and it's the old spec; you should still do it). Completing the CGP papers and marking it will give you the grade you're working at (they have their own boundaries). CrashMath and Churchill papers are harder than normal papers therefore if you practice them, it's quite useful.

Also, was your mock an actual GCSE practice paper for higher? If so, dropping 4 (76) is a 9.

Quick Reply

Latest