The Student Room Group

Wanting to become a Neurosurgeon - looking for advice

I have been looking into this a lot for a couple of years. I have been doing work experience and was considering many other different specialities but my cousin is a neursourgeon and its kinda made me always want to do it for some reason.

I heard how it is very competitive. I don't expect to go to the best med school like oxbridge (I'll try but doubt I have gotten 9A*) so was wondering if I can become a neurosurgeon from going to any medical school and working hard there?

Any advice is appreicated thanks.
Original post by Student2204
I have been looking into this a lot for a couple of years. I have been doing work experience and was considering many other different specialities but my cousin is a neursourgeon and its kinda made me always want to do it for some reason.

I heard how it is very competitive. I don't expect to go to the best med school like oxbridge (I'll try but doubt I have gotten 9A*) so was wondering if I can become a neurosurgeon from going to any medical school and working hard there?

Any advice is appreicated thanks.

Yeah - You don't need to go to a specific medical school to specialize in neuro.
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
Yeah - You don't need to go to a specific medical school to specialize in neuro.

Oh that is a relief. Thank you for the help and also would appreciate if you could tell me, will the people ,at whichever medical school I hopefully go to, will they help me with this more even if its a competitive course like neurosurgery?
Oh that is a relief. Thank you for the help and also would appreciate if you could tell me, will the people ,at whichever medical school I hopefully go to, will they help me with this more even if its a competitive course like neurosurgery?

People are helpful no matter where you go. Be it your coursemates, the academics or even the staff on the wards. Just remember to be a decent person.

Don't worry about doing anything in particular for a career in neurosurgery at this stage. There'll be plenty of time once you start med school. And there isn't much you can do anyway at this point. Do some work experience, go visit some labs, do extra-curriculars - in other words, be a normal sixth form student.

Once you're in med school, ask your lecturers, join societies and etc.

Don't stress about your future medical career. Worry about getting into uni.

And, ask your cousin! He/she would be a goldmine of information!
(edited 6 years ago)

I'm sure people will be helpful.

If you're interested in the training pathway of a medic, then take a look at this https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/career/studying-medicine/insiders-guide-to-medical-specialties/medical-training-pathway

@hslakaal sounds like a medical student/current medic so I'd pay more attention to what he just posted :tongue: My knowledge of studying medicine is rather limited as I only considered applying, I decided to go for Computer Science instead :tongue:
Reply 5
Thanks all for the information. Ill just work as normal then and try and get more work experience in hospitals or shadowing.

Unfortunately my cousin lives in America so they system is different.
Reply 6
If you want one stellar tip for an interview though - do not say you want to be specifically a neurosurgeon.

Trust me.

In all honesty, your decision will probably change through medical school but by saying that at interview it seems close-minded in a career that is so large and has so many avenues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending