The Student Room Group

i am so confused help w picking a levels pls

i have a huge problem.. i literally don't know what i wanna do like in life.. i have wanted to be a psychiatrist, neurosurgeon, sound engineer, seismologists (just because i like the movie 2012) and i finally start getting like proper interested in law BUT i feel like law is a career that AI can very easily take over in the future (very few cases even make it to court and the rest is very heavily paperwork reliant) so basically idk what to do anymore.. i have always liked science but all of my science teachers suck and i have thought abt moving school but idk if they are any better there.. i thought i had it all figured out and was gonna take englit, economics, r.s. and either gov&pol or psychology a-level but now i have completely changed and am thinking of doing bio, chem, maths and r.s. (we have to take 4 at the beginning but can choose to drop, take an as-level or continue the 4th one) ... am i making the right choice pls give me advice guysss i am probably js gonna end up doing medicine at uni which isw i did not imagine myself doing since i was dead-set on law
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Hi there,
First of all I would like to congratulate you for being one of the very few people at your age being proactive at your age for your future career. Here is something I would say first of all I would need more information on the 6th Form you attend. Do they have a bursary and is the student teacher support seen to be strong? If the answer is no then try and look for a 6th form which fulfils the above criteria. In regards to the A-levels you pick as long as you preform well it wont have heavy effect but a Maths and Chemistry combo supplemented with Bio and Law will keep your options open for career paths but id say maybe even leave bio for r.s. And to finally address your career aspirations one thing I would heavily recommend is being proactive about events, apprenticeships in Law Medicine Banking Engineering, networking it will open up so many pathways especially if you start now I don't mind directly mentoring you and helping you achieve what you want as you are very ambitious at a young age. So if you want more help you can always get in contact.
Reply 2
Original post by noman139
Hi there,
First of all I would like to congratulate you for being one of the very few people at your age being proactive at your age for your future career. Here is something I would say first of all I would need more information on the 6th Form you attend. Do they have a bursary and is the student teacher support seen to be strong? If the answer is no then try and look for a 6th form which fulfils the above criteria. In regards to the A-levels you pick as long as you preform well it wont have heavy effect but a Maths and Chemistry combo supplemented with Bio and Law will keep your options open for career paths but id say maybe even leave bio for r.s. And to finally address your career aspirations one thing I would heavily recommend is being proactive about events, apprenticeships in Law Medicine Banking Engineering, networking it will open up so many pathways especially if you start now I don't mind directly mentoring you and helping you achieve what you want as you are very ambitious at a young age. So if you want more help you can always get in contact.

Thank you so much for your response! I am currently thinking of moving for 6th form as I feel like I would get more support (I currently go to a grammar school and the student support seems to be very low, particularly in the STEM department but humanities are all really good and English as well), I think I want to do Maths, Bio, Chem and RS and possibly drop RS in Year 13 but the ideal is probably to do 4 A-levels since I genuinely enjoy both Bio and RS. As for apprenticeships, I have only done a law internship last summer and I really have no idea for what to do for medicine and how to get in-person work experience so idk what steps to take for that.
Original post by macsnothot
Thank you so much for your response! I am currently thinking of moving for 6th form as I feel like I would get more support (I currently go to a grammar school and the student support seems to be very low, particularly in the STEM department but humanities are all really good and English as well), I think I want to do Maths, Bio, Chem and RS and possibly drop RS in Year 13 but the ideal is probably to do 4 A-levels since I genuinely enjoy both Bio and RS. As for apprenticeships, I have only done a law internship last summer and I really have no idea for what to do for medicine and how to get in-person work experience so idk what steps to take for that.

Hi, as for these subjects I don't have much specific advice to offer (I did psychology, sociology and business), but as a general rule I would just prioritise what you are good at & what you enjoy. A-Levels can be tough (trust me, I'm nearing the end of my second year and you wouldn't believe the workload) so you need to make sure you choose something that you enjoy enough to fully commit to, because no matter how much you love the subject, there will be a time when you hate it and want to give up, so make sure you are invested enough not to. I wouldn't worry too much about career prospects, when I started at college I was certain that I would be going off to Uni and training to be a clinical psychologist. Now I'm not 100% sure, so I'm taking a gap year and seeing what I decide after I've lived a little. I'm even thinking of studying journalism, which is a complete 180 for me. Point is, what you want now might not be what you want forever. As you said, you've already changed your mind a few times and you'll probably change it again. So, focus on what you love, work hard at it and see where it takes you. Worst comes to worst, if the Uni course you want to do requires an A-Level that you didn't pick, most Unis will offer some sort of foundation year so that you can do it anyway.

In terms of medical work experience, you will be limited by your age and lack of experience, but that doesn't mean there isn't still opportunities. At this stage in your life, anything that involves working with vulnerable people would be considered valuable experience. So, volunteering at a care home for the elderly or disabled, or a childcare facility would be perfect. Once you are in your 1st year of A-Levels, your 6th form will also get you to do a couple of days of work experience that they should help you arrange. If there's any care homes near you, you should drop in or email them with your CV as they might be able to take you on as a weekend healthcare assistant, which is a great route into healthcare. Once you have some experience in this role, you can apply to do the same thing but in a hospital/GP/Medical Centre setting, which would probably be closer to what you want. You could probably apply for these roles in medical settings straight away, but the NHS typically prefers at least 6 months experience, as you will have less supervision in a hospital/GP Office than in a care home. It can be difficult to get into this sort of thing, especially depending on where you are (city vs rural) but my biggest piece of advice is just to put yourself out there and ask. Ask anyone you know or that your parents/teachers/family knows who are involved in healthcare, as they may know of opportunities for you. Remember that you don't know if you don't try and the worst that they can say is no. If you do struggle to find anything in-person, don't forget to utilise online resources. Springpod offers online virtual work experience and if you search online for MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) there are loads for free, and these are really valued by Universities. I would also try and engage with the subjects outside of learning by reading related news, watching TED talks and reading medical journals (there are versions made specifically for A-Level students, which your 6th form will likely have copies of in their library and/or an online subscription to - just ask the librarians, they are a fantastic resource.
Reply 4
Original post by mayisnotokay
Hi, as for these subjects I don't have much specific advice to offer (I did psychology, sociology and business), but as a general rule I would just prioritise what you are good at & what you enjoy. A-Levels can be tough (trust me, I'm nearing the end of my second year and you wouldn't believe the workload) so you need to make sure you choose something that you enjoy enough to fully commit to, because no matter how much you love the subject, there will be a time when you hate it and want to give up, so make sure you are invested enough not to. I wouldn't worry too much about career prospects, when I started at college I was certain that I would be going off to Uni and training to be a clinical psychologist. Now I'm not 100% sure, so I'm taking a gap year and seeing what I decide after I've lived a little. I'm even thinking of studying journalism, which is a complete 180 for me. Point is, what you want now might not be what you want forever. As you said, you've already changed your mind a few times and you'll probably change it again. So, focus on what you love, work hard at it and see where it takes you. Worst comes to worst, if the Uni course you want to do requires an A-Level that you didn't pick, most Unis will offer some sort of foundation year so that you can do it anyway.

In terms of medical work experience, you will be limited by your age and lack of experience, but that doesn't mean there isn't still opportunities. At this stage in your life, anything that involves working with vulnerable people would be considered valuable experience. So, volunteering at a care home for the elderly or disabled, or a childcare facility would be perfect. Once you are in your 1st year of A-Levels, your 6th form will also get you to do a couple of days of work experience that they should help you arrange. If there's any care homes near you, you should drop in or email them with your CV as they might be able to take you on as a weekend healthcare assistant, which is a great route into healthcare. Once you have some experience in this role, you can apply to do the same thing but in a hospital/GP/Medical Centre setting, which would probably be closer to what you want. You could probably apply for these roles in medical settings straight away, but the NHS typically prefers at least 6 months experience, as you will have less supervision in a hospital/GP Office than in a care home. It can be difficult to get into this sort of thing, especially depending on where you are (city vs rural) but my biggest piece of advice is just to put yourself out there and ask. Ask anyone you know or that your parents/teachers/family knows who are involved in healthcare, as they may know of opportunities for you. Remember that you don't know if you don't try and the worst that they can say is no. If you do struggle to find anything in-person, don't forget to utilise online resources. Springpod offers online virtual work experience and if you search online for MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) there are loads for free, and these are really valued by Universities. I would also try and engage with the subjects outside of learning by reading related news, watching TED talks and reading medical journals (there are versions made specifically for A-Level students, which your 6th form will likely have copies of in their library and/or an online subscription to - just ask the librarians, they are a fantastic resource.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful, I have looked a bit into MOOCs and I might volunteer at my old primary school (hopefully that counts as a childcare facility).. best of luck with journalism I am sure you will do fabulously!!
Reply 5
Original post by macsnothot
i have a huge problem.. i literally don't know what i wanna do like in life.. i have wanted to be a psychiatrist, neurosurgeon, sound engineer, seismologists (just because i like the movie 2012) and i finally start getting like proper interested in law BUT i feel like law is a career that AI can very easily take over in the future (very few cases even make it to court and the rest is very heavily paperwork reliant) so basically idk what to do anymore.. i have always liked science but all of my science teachers suck and i have thought abt moving school but idk if they are any better there.. i thought i had it all figured out and was gonna take englit, economics, r.s. and either gov&pol or psychology a-level but now i have completely changed and am thinking of doing bio, chem, maths and r.s. (we have to take 4 at the beginning but can choose to drop, take an as-level or continue the 4th one) ... am i making the right choice pls give me advice guysss i am probably js gonna end up doing medicine at uni which isw i did not imagine myself doing since i was dead-set on law

bio chem maths and RS seems good, that opens up a lot of doors! And then you have the whole of the year to decide what you want to do and which A levels you enjoy so you can drop one. Also maybe looking at the requirements of universities e,g which are requirements for law at the unis which interest you? also medicine is a course you should do if you're 100% confident. i suggest getting some work experience, talking to junior doctors, finding out as much as possible before you apply!!

Quick Reply

Latest