The Student Room Group

Medicine supercurriculars

Does anyone have any book recommendations which includes info about biopsies but not too complex for a sixth former to read ?
Original post by oxfordhopefulxx
Does anyone have any book recommendations which includes info about biopsies but not too complex for a sixth former to read ?

Not sure tbh but an excellent book I read was do no harm by neurosurgeon Henry marsh. I’m interested in neurosurgery so read it and would recommend it to anyone, it’s very very interesting making me read it twice back to back. But there’s loads of medicine books out there but do try this one
Original post by B7861
Not sure tbh but an excellent book I read was do no harm by neurosurgeon Henry marsh. I’m interested in neurosurgery so read it and would recommend it to anyone, it’s very very interesting making me read it twice back to back. But there’s loads of medicine books out there but do try this one

Ahh ty. i have this book but didn't get to finish it so Ill give it another go. Im just doing work exp with a radiologist so wanted a book that kind of talks abt that sort of stuff but isnt like a textbook xx
Ahh ty. i have this book but didn't get to finish it so Ill give it another go. Im just doing work exp with a radiologist so wanted a book that kind of talks abt that sort of stuff but isnt like a textbook xx

That’s great! Have you done any work experience with any surgeons? If you could get the opportunity go for it. I did it with spinal orthopaedic surgeons and managed to watch around 6 surgeries and it’s amazing. Gives you allot to talk about for interviews/ps etc
Original post by B7861
That’s great! Have you done any work experience with any surgeons? If you could get the opportunity go for it. I did it with spinal orthopaedic surgeons and managed to watch around 6 surgeries and it’s amazing. Gives you allot to talk about for interviews/ps etc

Ive done experience with a general surgeon, but the issue is when ur under 18 ur not allowed in theatre for majority of hospitals near me. They didn't even let me watch an endoscopy. In ur personal statement are u gonna link ur spinal work exp with a specific case in the book u found interesting or in general. I'm also in the works of getting a few days with a spinal surgeon 😛
Ive done experience with a general surgeon, but the issue is when ur under 18 ur not allowed in theatre for majority of hospitals near me. They didn't even let me watch an endoscopy. In ur personal statement are u gonna link ur spinal work exp with a specific case in the book u found interesting or in general. I'm also in the works of getting a few days with a spinal surgeon 😛

Well I’m a gap year student but no I didn’t mention the book but probably will do when I redo my ps.

Yh I get ya you’re not really allowed in theatre when you’re under 18 but try get on a good side with them. I kinda built a friendship with the surgeons and fellows and they literally just took me with them and showed me what they did throughout the day. Bro I’m surprised they didn’t let you see an endoscopy! I saw a scoliosis correction, a double hip replacement and many others too.

Btw are you applying to Oxford? Then your ps probably will need to be amazing but for normal med schools they don’t really look at ps
Original post by B7861
Well I’m a gap year student but no I didn’t mention the book but probably will do when I redo my ps.

Yh I get ya you’re not really allowed in theatre when you’re under 18 but try get on a good side with them. I kinda built a friendship with the surgeons and fellows and they literally just took me with them and showed me what they did throughout the day. Bro I’m surprised they didn’t let you see an endoscopy! I saw a scoliosis correction, a double hip replacement and many others too.

Btw are you applying to Oxford? Then your ps probably will need to be amazing but for normal med schools they don’t really look at ps

No wayy, were u over 18 at the time?

Yes hopefully I am applying, so just worrying a lot abt perfecting my personal statement. Pray for me!
No wayy, were u over 18 at the time?

Yes hopefully I am applying, so just worrying a lot abt perfecting my personal statement. Pray for me!

I was 17. That’s why I was saying build a good relationship with them. Basically the lead paediatric spinal surgeon was sorting everything out for me so no one could really say oh why is this kid here. But the thing is no one disapproved, everyone talked to me asking me about my application etc

But good luck anyway
Original post by B7861
I was 17. That’s why I was saying build a good relationship with them. Basically the lead paediatric spinal surgeon was sorting everything out for me so no one could really say oh why is this kid here. But the thing is no one disapproved, everyone talked to me asking me about my application etc

But good luck anyway

Good luck to u to xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending