The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
10x better? No.
Somewhat stronger for engineering in general? Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

if you were to choose what number EEE would be on ranks what would it be? its 5 atm

because from what i can see people say it doesn't deserve to be number 5
Original post by revisionphysics
if you were to choose what number EEE would be on ranks what would it be? its 5 atm

No idea. I don't have personal experience of UCL's course to comment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -Phoenix-
You should still apply though.
I had AABBB at AS Level for Maths, F.Maths, Physics, Chemistry and EPQ respectively, and I still got into Imperial. Someone I know had a C in maths, and they also got in. You should have a good Personal Statement, and passion for Electronics which is what they are mainly looking for :smile:

Alright have a look then mate :biggrin:

It is not 5, and that's because a lot of universities which offer EEE are actually categorized under general
Original post by Sae.HH
It is not 5, and that's because a lot of universities which offer EEE are actually categorized under general

ahh i don't care as long as its top 10 and quite famous i don't mind.
ahh i don't care as long as its top 10 and quite famous i don't mind.

*Any* accredited course is absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
*Any* accredited course is absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wish I'd known this when I was younger.
I am really stuck between Manchester and Bristol which one do you think is better?
Which one stands out academically and in terms of graduate prospects?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Shadowbinder7
Truth be told I don't know what I exactly want to do although probably not anything related to finance. I just want to make the right choice and I would definitely choose ICL over Bristol given the choice now but I don't know if ICL over Bristol is worth waiting a year. Also, if it matters I'd probably prefer London as a city purely due to size and things to do

Well, in my experience, real engineers often have dirt under their fingernails from tinkering with things (that is the hardware ones), and enjoy knowing how things work, and making them work better. I hold a MSEE in electrical engineering btw. If that doesn't describe you, you might want to consider the following. A mate of mine had 4 kids. They all did BSEE undergraduate degrees. One of them, a boy, decided he really didn't want to do engineering, so he signed up for law school. He graduated, and went to work for a firm doing patent law. He was the ONLY person in the firm with a 'hard science' degree. About 10 years later, he was working for another law firm, and was making about $145,000USD pa. That was about 10 years ago. I haven't had an update since then, but in 1999, i could have lived on that amount quite nicely. The kid told me (in 1999) that he'd worked for 4 or 5 law firms, and that only at one, was their another lawyer with a hard science degree - and that one was in chemestry. If you're not allergic to dosh, you might want to consider that route. Most lawyers do undergrad degrees in history or art - and those prove to not be much of an asset when it comes to dealing with clients. Cheers.
Original post by -Phoenix-
You should still apply though.
I had AABBB at AS Level for Maths, F.Maths, Physics, Chemistry and EPQ respectively, and I still got into Imperial. Someone I know had a C in maths, and they also got in. You should have a good Personal Statement, and passion for Electronics which is what they are mainly looking for :smile:

For a BEng in EEE,
My firm offer is A* in mathematics, A* A for uni of glasgow(Advanced route, to enter 2nd year), insurance AAB potentially ABB for uni of manchester(3 years),
I believe for some reason I will achieve A*A*B, in such case do you think I should phone uni of glasgow to see if I can still attend or just go manchester?

Also, I went to london for an Imperial interview, and it was great but I did not get an offer, do you think there is the remote possibility of me entering the course there(BEng in EEE 3 years), say if I achieved 2A* and an an A and I phoned them and they had spare places?
Original post by elgaucho

Also, I went to london for an Imperial interview, and it was great but I did not get an offer, do you think there is the remote possibility of me entering the course there(BEng in EEE 3 years), say if I achieved 2A* and an an A and I phoned them and they had spare places?

Nope. That ship has sailed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope. That ship has sailed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what about the first question, do you think I could attempt to still go glasgow (uni of) or not if I achieved that and go to manchester (uni of)?
what about the first question, do you think I could attempt to still go glasgow (uni of) or not if I achieved that and go to manchester (uni of)?

A*A*B could be ok for an A*A*A offer - but you'll just have to wait and see what happens on Results Day. Especially if the A*s are in Maths and Physics.
A*A*B could be ok for an A*A*A offer - but you'll just have to wait and see what happens on Results Day. Especially if the A*s are in Maths and Physics.

Which one would you rather go manchester or glasgow?
Which one would you rather go manchester or glasgow?

Why are you asking that now - you've already decided on your Firm & Insurance.

I presume you've compared courses, visited and applied for accomodation, etc etc.
Why are you asking that now - you've already decided on your Firm & Insurance.

I presume you've compared courses, visited and applied for accomodation, etc etc.

Yes but if I don't reach my firm offer can I not appeal the decision? What if no decision appears to have been made?
Yes but if I don't reach my firm offer can I not appeal the decision? What if no decision appears to have been made?

On what grounds would you appeal? If you are rejected because you missed the offer then it's game over unless you have extenuating circumstances (but the university should already have been notified about those).

If there's no decision showing then yes it can be worth contacting them. They might offer the Year 1 entry, or not...
On what grounds would you appeal? If you are rejected because you missed the offer then it's game over unless you have extenuating circumstances (but the university should already have been notified about those).

If there's no decision showing then yes it can be worth contacting them. They might offer thme Year 1 entry, or not...

Thank you, I guess I can't know what will happen, I love manchester anyway
I got AAB should I choose Leeds / lbro / wawrick for electric engeering
Original post by Topgear69
I got AAB should I choose Leeds / lbro / wawrick for electric engeering

At A-level? Or AS?

Fundamentally, choose the course you prefer, at a university you want to be at for 3 or 4+ years.

Quick Reply

Latest