The Student Room Group

Anyone doing OCR 9-1 RS and how are you revising for it?

I'm doing RS for GCSE. Will take my exam in around a year. No clue how to revise for RS, it's a massive book around 500 pages filled with either essential content or plain waffle. I just try to get the gist but idk if i'm learning relevant information. Does anyone have the same problem?
I did OCR A*-G this year. Some general tips are revise your key quotations for use in your AO2 questions, and practice doing them in exam conditions. Key terminology is also important so go through your textbook and make flashcards for all your key terms.
Reply 2
Original post by thegalaxy
I did OCR A*-G this year. Some general tips are revise your key quotations for use in your AO2 questions, and practice doing them in exam conditions. Key terminology is also important so go through your textbook and make flashcards for all your key terms.

How much did you write for the 3 marks, 6 marks and 15 marks questions? I find the issue with my RS is also that I dont write enough
Original post by xhyper22
How much did you write for the 3 marks, 6 marks and 15 marks questions? I find the issue with my RS is also that I dont write enough

For the 6 mark questions I tended to write just under a page. For the 12 mark questions (they were 12 on the old spec, 15 on the new spec) about a page and a half or so. Don't forget it's quality over quantity.
Reply 4
For the 6 mark questions I tended to write just under a page. For the 12 mark questions (they were 12 on the old spec, 15 on the new spec) about a page and a half or so. Don't forget it's quality over quantity.

Sometimes I feel it's just about quantity. When I did a end of year test, I put down as many points as there were marks for each question. I tried to take the science approach but it ended up failing with me getting 83% on the test which isn't bad but one person got 99%. He wrote a lot more than me. I wrote 5 pages, he did 8. It was a 1 hour 30 minute exam with 90 marks. How does marking work in RS? Is it methodical like science or subjective like English? If it's about writing a lot, do you simply just need to know more content so you can put more down or can you waffle? How much time should be spent thinking in these exams?
Also any particular way to finish a 500 page RS book and fully understand it?
Sometimes I feel it's just about quantity. When I did a end of year test, I put down as many points as there were marks for each question. I tried to take the science approach but it ended up failing with me getting 83% on the test which isn't bad but one person got 99%. He wrote a lot more than me. I wrote 5 pages, he did 8. It was a 1 hour 30 minute exam with 90 marks. How does marking work in RS? Is it methodical like science or subjective like English? If it's about writing a lot, do you simply just need to know more content so you can put more down or can you waffle? How much time should be spent thinking in these exams?
Also any particular way to finish a 500 page RS book and fully understand it?

The parts a,b and c are methodical and parts d and e are subjective.
Reply 6
The parts a,b and c are methodical and parts d and e are subjective.

By a, b, c you mean the 3 mark questions right and for d and e, 6 and 15 marks?
Could you give me advice on my second question as well?
Reply 7
any particular way to finish a 500 page RS book and fully understand it?

This one
Hi 👋 what I plan on doing is to select out key philosophers and religious figures and quotes and remember their beliefs and that's it and read fundamental ideas of the two religions
By a, b, c you mean the 3 mark questions right and for d and e, 6 and 15 marks?
Could you give me advice on my second question as well?

they were 1/2/3 on the old spec but yeah, for the new spec it's the 3 mark questions. d/e are the 6/15 for you.

This one

i'm not sure how your spec works, but with the old spec you only had to do certain units. you've still got almost a year to go, so for now just focus on your quotations and terminology.
Reply 10
Original post by PhilDanthropist
Hi 👋 what I plan on doing is to select out key philosophers and religious figures and quotes and remember their beliefs and that's it and read fundamental ideas of the two religions

waaaat? I thought we had to just remember bible and quran quotes. What textbook were you given?
Nah we don't have a definite textbook
Reply 12
Original post by PhilDanthropist
Nah we don't have a definite textbook

Wait so you have to do multiple textbooks? One for each religion? How long are they? Mine is the really long one with stairs and hanging lights on the front cover. That book is a nightmare but at least it has everything from the specification.
Reply 13
they were 1/2/3 on the old spec but yeah, for the new spec it's the 3 mark questions. d/e are the 6/15 for you.

Thanks man.

i'm not sure how your spec works, but with the old spec you only had to do certain units. you've still got almost a year to go, so for now just focus on your quotations and terminology.

The spec isn't really the problem. The length of the book is and fair enough it has all the religions we need to study, everything from the spec etc.. I'm sure you must have had to study a massive 500 page-ish textbook before for your GCSEs. If so, how did you manage? I agree learning quotations and terminology is important and I agree I shouldn't be revising this early but I am a very slow learner. Also, did I mention the book has a lot of content? So please, if you have any past experiences that can tally in with my current situation, could you give me some advice. If not, it doesn't matter. You've helped enough. Thanks mate :smile:
Wait so you have to do multiple textbooks? One for each religion? How long are they? Mine is the really long one with stairs and hanging lights on the front cover. That book is a nightmare but at least it has everything from the specification.

To be honest we don't have a textbook for Islam or Christianity but we have little fact sheets and then we compile them and we take notes on videos and compile them to make our own textbook?

Quick Reply

Latest