The Student Room Group

How are my A Levels?

I am going to go in Year 12 next Monday and I have decided to do A Level Biology, Chemistry, and Maths as I want to do something in science therefore by picking these subjects I will have a lot of options in the future. I just want to know people's opinions about these subjects like

How hard is it?
How big is the workload?
What do they do at the start of the course?
How are the topics?

If there is anything else that you would like to add, I would really appreciate it.

I got all As in Maths and Core and Additional Science.

As I didn't do Triple science, should I revise the topics in Triple Science for Biology and Chemistry or do you think that it isn't needed?

Thanks for reading this and have a great day :smile:
Reply 1
Of course you have to study the Bio/Chem GCSEs first then start the A-level
Original post by MusicFangirl630
I am going to go in Year 12 next Monday and I have decided to do A Level Biology, Chemistry, and Maths as I want to do something in science therefore by picking these subjects I will have a lot of options in the future. I just want to know people's opinions about these subjects like

How hard is it?
How big is the workload?
What do they do at the start of the course?
How are the topics?

If there is anything else that you would like to add, I would really appreciate it.

I got all As in Maths and Core and Additional Science.

As I didn't do Triple science, should I revise the topics in Triple Science for Biology and Chemistry or do you think that it isn't needed?

Thanks for reading this and have a great day :smile:

I'm not sure about Chemistry, but for A-Level Biology I definitely did not need any of my GCSE Triple knowledge. Most of the relevant GCSE topics are done in more detail at AS anyway because not everyone sat the same exams at GCSE.
Original post by Blue_Cow
I'm not sure about Chemistry, but for A-Level Biology I definitely did not need any of my GCSE Triple knowledge. Most of the relevant GCSE topics are done in more detail at AS anyway because not everyone sat the same exams at GCSE.

Oh okay yeah for Biology, I have heard people saying that triple science wasn't really needed but others say they were so I am kinda unsure
Original post by OMG354
Of course you have to study the Bio/Chem GCSEs first then start the A-level

Are you sure because some people say triple science wasn't needed for biology that much and I don't know about Chemistry as well.
Reply 5
Are you sure because some people say triple science wasn't needed for biology that much and I don't know about Chemistry as well.

Not really sure, but I think you should know the very small details in Bio (GCSE) before taking it as an AL subject… AL is really really difficult
Original post by OMG354
Not really sure, but I think you should know the very small details in Bio (GCSE) before taking it as an AL subject… AL is really really difficult

Oh okay I think I am just going to read over topics on Bitesize for Biology and Chem thanks have you done A Level Biology? If you have, can you tell me how it was for you?
Reply 7
For the point about double science- I did double science at GCSE and was thinking the same thing two years ago. IMO it didn't matter at all if you did triple or not. As long as you understood what you learnt in double science, then your really at no disadvantage. Everyone is taught the same course content. For the first 1/2 weeks in chemistry we were just going over gcse stuff anyway and then we started to learn about mole calculations- Triple science covers topics like these more than double science, so often people say you are at a disadvantage but from my experience most of them had a pretty superficial understanding from gcse anyway and so everyone was pretty much on the same page when learning in class. I did maths, phys and chem so can't talk for bio but I would be surprised if it was any different...
Reply 8
Oh okay I think I am just going to read over topics on Bitesize for Biology and Chem thanks have you done A Level Biology? If you have, can you tell me how it was for you?

I did A-Level Biology (I didn’t do chem btw). I got an A* in my GCSE Biology exam, however, didn’t manage to get that A* I always wanted to get in A-Level (got an A). I actually found the AL Biology really hard, it is similar to studying uni subjects (medicine).

Quick Reply

Latest