The Student Room Group

Controversial Opinion about Access to HE - Adequate Preparation for Uni?

Hey! Merry Christmas!

Here I am at 07:50 on Christmas morning reflecting about these things...

Anyway, let's get right to it.

I'm wondering what peoples' thoughts are regarding whether they found their Access to HE diploma adequate preparation for academic study?

A bit of background about me.

I did a Science Access to HE focusing on Biology and Chemistry and achieved 45D.

I was hoping to go on to do a Chemistry degree but I still felt, when I compared the Access to HE syllabus to the A Level Chemistry syllabus, there were major holes in the curriculum. As a result, I did a Foundation Year after my Access to HE.

Now, in my first year of Chemistry, I don't think I would have survived if I hadn't had done that Foundation Year (which was pretty much A Levels of A Level Biology, Chemistry and Maths condensed into 1 year).

Does anyone else have similar or opposite experiences? I suspect it may be different for different streams (Arts/Sciences) etc.
Reply 1
Original post by dbhc2411
Hey! Merry Christmas!

Here I am at 07:50 on Christmas morning reflecting about these things...

Anyway, let's get right to it.

I'm wondering what peoples' thoughts are regarding whether they found their Access to HE diploma adequate preparation for academic study?

A bit of background about me.

I did a Science Access to HE focusing on Biology and Chemistry and achieved 45D.

I was hoping to go on to do a Chemistry degree but I still felt, when I compared the Access to HE syllabus to the A Level Chemistry syllabus, there were major holes in the curriculum. As a result, I did a Foundation Year after my Access to HE.

Now, in my first year of Chemistry, I don't think I would have survived if I hadn't had done that Foundation Year (which was pretty much A Levels of A Level Biology, Chemistry and Maths condensed into 1 year).

Does anyone else have similar or opposite experiences? I suspect it may be different for different streams (Arts/Sciences) etc.

I guess it depends on what your previous background of study is. I am doing the science access to HE diploma as well but 20 years ago I did a level physics, chemistry and biology, obviously as it was so long ago it’s not enough to gain entry to university. But combined with my prior knowledge I think the access will be enough background for me personally. But I do feel the access course is very task focused and if you have no previous level 3/a level science background you would definitely struggle with the first year at university.
I did very well, seems adequate to me. Some will find it harder, while some will find it easier.
Reply 3
I suspect this might be specific to courses in which degree study is the natural progression from A-levels (e.g., maths, the sciences). I studied law which you can acceptably undertake having not studied the topic at A-level. The adjustment I needed to make was to increase the amount of independent study I undertook as the required reading was more extensive than that required for my Access course.
Reply 4
Original post by DCDCo
I suspect this might be specific to courses in which degree study is the natural progression from A-levels (e.g., maths, the sciences). I studied law which you can acceptably undertake having not studied the topic at A-level. The adjustment I needed to make was to increase the amount of independent study I undertook as the required reading was more extensive than that required for my Access course.

I think that's a really good point.

I suppose splitting into the 'soft skills' vs 'hard skills (?)' I did find Access to HE really great in drumming into practice how to find things out, how to reference, how to structure a piece of writing, how to use Turnitin etc.

But yes I hadn't thought of degrees which require specific prerequisite knowledge i.e. "the hard skills" (badly phrased), and degrees which don't.

Maybe then I should review the question to something like: Is Access to HE adequate preparation for degrees requiring A Level subject knowledge?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending