The Student Room Group

Should I do 5 a levels?

I want to do 5 a levels- maths, f maths, physics, chemistry, and german- the first 4 to keep my options open, and the last because I really love German, and feel that it would be almost a 'fun' a level. My school also offers EPQ, but I'm not sure how much unis actually care about it, so I was wondering if my plan is a good idea? I would probably drop german if the workload is too much.
Reply 1
Original post by ELEPHANTRAT
I want to do 5 a levels- maths, f maths, physics, chemistry, and german- the first 4 to keep my options open, and the last because I really love German, and feel that it would be almost a 'fun' a level. My school also offers EPQ, but I'm not sure how much unis actually care about it, so I was wondering if my plan is a good idea? I would probably drop german if the workload is too much.

University's don't really take 5 A-levels into consideration either, also, with 5 A-levels you would have to self learn one of the 5 for the entire 2 years which may become too much if anything I'd recommend doing maths fm physics and chem as they're highly respected A-levels
Short answer, no. More likely to harm your chances than help thm.

With Maths + FM and two other subjects, (already a big workload), you're probably be eligible to apply for 80+% of undergrad courses in the UK so not sure how much more 'open' your options need to be.
Reply 3
Thank you for the replies, my teachers say that 5 a levels is fine but I am not so sure. Do you know how much EPQ helps?
Reply 4
Thank you for the replies, my teachers say that 5 a levels is fine but I am not so sure. Do you know how much EPQ helps?

it helps with some unis and some courses, not all unis accept epq
Reply 5
Original post by SageSharky
it helps with some unis and some courses, not all unis accept epq

ok thanks!
I don't think the EPQ itself is that helpful, but the process of spending a lot of time researching a topic then having the ability to explain it and talk about it is what can help you in your ps maybe. 5 A-Levels really is a stretch and through all of the spreadsheets of uni offers from places like Imperial and Cambridge I've looked through, I've only seen ~ 5-10 people ever do more than 4 A-Levels. Doing 5 will help you stand out, but you will need exceptional grades in 3 or more to stand out for the top unis as most offers are based upon 3-4 subjects so they would expect you to get the same grades as everyone else regardless. Your university offer requirements probably won't be lowered even if you do 5.

Oh hell naw why
Reply 8
Original post by Kong, Donkey
I don't think the EPQ itself is that helpful, but the process of spending a lot of time researching a topic then having the ability to explain it and talk about it is what can help you in your ps maybe. 5 A-Levels really is a stretch and through all of the spreadsheets of uni offers from places like Imperial and Cambridge I've looked through, I've only seen ~ 5-10 people ever do more than 4 A-Levels. Doing 5 will help you stand out, but you will need exceptional grades in 3 or more to stand out for the top unis as most offers are based upon 3-4 subjects so they would expect you to get the same grades as everyone else regardless. Your university offer requirements probably won't be lowered even if you do 5.

Yeah, I did HPQ and hated it, haven't gotten results back yet. I'm just worried about missing out on something helpful if I don't do HPQ- am considering trying to do a personal project or something instead.
Do you know what course you want to do? I'm guessing you're a high achiever so you want to apply to top unis as well?
Reply 10
Original post by Kong, Donkey
Do you know what course you want to do? I'm guessing you're a high achiever so you want to apply to top unis as well?

I'm considering materials science, engineering and natural sciences, in that order, and I would probably want to apply to top unis, yes.

Hey coming from a school where half of the cohort did 5 A levels (well with EPQ being the 5th mandatory), it is totally manageable but really it is only a good idea if you are looking to go to the US for uni or if you really think you can manage it. I did Chinese for a year and thought it would be my 'fun' A level but really it was my most content heavy A level even with my fluency in the language. With speaking practice, literature memorization (poetry and books), writing in two versions, I simply spent too much time on it and eventually dropped it at the start of year 13. EPQ for me was really helpful (a med candidate). With grade inflations, an A* in EPQ helped confirm and secure most of my friends offer last year on results day. Hope this helps!
Reply 12
Original post by Tulipbloom
Hey coming from a school where half of the cohort did 5 A levels (well with EPQ being the 5th mandatory), it is totally manageable but really it is only a good idea if you are looking to go to the US for uni or if you really think you can manage it. I did Chinese for a year and thought it would be my 'fun' A level but really it was my most content heavy A level even with my fluency in the language. With speaking practice, literature memorization (poetry and books), writing in two versions, I simply spent too much time on it and eventually dropped it at the start of year 13. EPQ for me was really helpful (a med candidate). With grade inflations, an A* in EPQ helped confirm and secure most of my friends offer last year on results day. Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for the reply! Do you know how many hours of work apart from lessons I'd have to do(a levels in general), as I've heard people say 1.5 hours at home for 2 hours at school, and am not sure how accurate that is. Also, if you don't mind telling, which A levels did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest