The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
No... your Non-academic information form is also looked at but when i went to the open day last year the admissions tutor said that out of the 1000 people that meet the UKCAT cut off only 50 of them are rejected due to a poor NAI form

Also you dont have to meet the cut off to get an interview

IMG_2764.PNG

Really! That's so good I might apply then. Also where else did you apply?
Original post by Hdheimdnbf
Really! That's so good I might apply then. Also where else did you apply?

I edited my previous post because i forgot to tell you where else i applied but ill tell ya again

Leicester, Liverpool and HYMS
I edited my pervious post because if fortgot to tell you where else i applied but ill tell ya again

Leicester, Liverpool and HYMS

I'm
Thinking of applying to those unis aswell but not Leicester
I'm
Thinking of applying to those unis aswell but not Leicester

Nice! Whats ya other option gunna be?

Can i ask what gcse grades you got?
Nice! Whats ya other option gunna be?

Can i ask what gcse grades you got?

My GCSE's aren't very good for Med 1A* 8A's 1 B
My GCSE's aren't very good for Med 1A* 8A's 1 B

They're great grades but yh i understand why you feel that way because people applying for medicine usually have more A* grades to offer

Liverpool is definitely a smart choice because you'll meet the ukcat requirements and also you'll get the maximum points for GCSE... however liverpool look at your Personal Statement quite a bit so you need to make sure it's written to a high standard with plenty of experience

HYMS score your top 8 GCSE grades and you'll still get a high score as all 8 will be A's and A*s... the points gained from UKCAT is dependent on the final UKCAT scores which are published in october... HYMS also give points for SJT band, can i ask wat band you got?
They're great grades but yh i understand why you feel that way because people applying for medicine usually have more A* grades to offer

Liverpool is definitely a smart choice because you'll meet the ukcat requirements and also you'll get the maximum points for GCSE... however liverpool look at your Personal Statement quite a bit so you need to make sure it's written to a high standard with plenty of experience

HYMS score your top 8 GCSE grades and you'll still get a high score as all 8 will be A's and A*s... the points gained from UKCAT is dependent on the final UKCAT scores which are published in october... HYMS also give points for SJT band, can i ask wat band you got?

I got Band 2 but I also get given an extra 15 points for being eligible for UKCAT bursary. Also applying to St Georges
I got Band 2 but I also get given an extra 15 points for being eligible for UKCAT bursary. Also applying to St Georges

Band 2 is absolutely fine so you'll most likely get an interview at HYMS... last year at interview the admissions tutor told us that in some years band 1 and band 2 are given the same score which was great news for me as i also got band 2... hopefully thats how it is this year! :wink:

Havent looked into St Georges but if you think you have a good shot at interview then definitely go for it!
Anyone any experience of the European Studies module attached to Medicine at Manchester? (positive or negative?) - keen to maintain French.
Reply 69
Hey

Manchester only require you to have atleast 5 A's or A*s at GCSE... which you of course have

The minimum requirement for english language is a B grade so thats also fine

I am 95% confident that you will meet the UKCAT cut off as your score is well above the average cut off for interview (last year the cut off was 653). Also if you went to an under performing school and you live in a certain area that disadvantages you then your ukcat cut off will be even lower

So basically all you need to do is make sure your Non-academic information form looks good :smile:

Can i ask what sort of work experience you've done/are doing so far and how long you've done it/been doing it?

I called them up today and it seems that I just need to get in to the top 3 deciles so lets pray for a low average (though so far everyone is doing so well :s-smilie: ).

If anyone is interested, the lady I spoke to told me that they consider everyone who is in the top 3 deciles for an interview providing that they meet all other academic requirements. They then look at the 300-500 people with the highest ukcats below the 7th decile (depending on how many are above) and consider other factors to decide whether to interview you- hence their cut off is below the 7th decile. Also, top 3 deciles doesn't guarantee an interview but below this doesn't mean you won't be considered for an interview! :smile:

extra/super curricular I have are:
work experience at GP- 2 weeks
shadowing at hospital - 3 days
volunteering once a week at a primary school (2 months and continuing)
I work and have done for about 2 years so I'll use this for the 'team work' section
I've also attended a masterclass at Cambridge and a week summer school at Oxford.
read a few books too :smile:
I hope this is all okay, just really hoping that my ukcat is in that 7th decile...

Thank you for replying! :biggrin:
Reply 70
Original post by SomersetSKB
Anyone any experience of the European Studies module attached to Medicine at Manchester? (positive or negative?) - keen to maintain French.

I am also interested in doing the French course :smile:
Are you doing A level? I've done my AS and got an A, I am currently still doing it at A level but I may drop it end of September to make more space for my sciences...
I am wondering how competitive it is and if an AS will be enough as they say you usually need A level and that AS is sometimes considered...
Original post by RMARL
I called them up today and it seems that I just need to get in to the top 3 deciles so lets pray for a low average (though so far everyone is doing so well :s-smilie: ).

If anyone is interested, the lady I spoke to told me that they consider everyone who is in the top 3 deciles for an interview providing that they meet all other academic requirements. They then look at the 300-500 people with the highest ukcats below the 7th decile (depending on how many are above) and consider other factors to decide whether to interview you- hence their cut off is below the 7th decile. Also, top 3 deciles doesn't guarantee an interview but below this doesn't mean you won't be considered for an interview! :smile:

extra/super curricular I have are:
work experience at GP- 2 weeks
shadowing at hospital - 3 days
volunteering once a week at a primary school (2 months and continuing)
I work and have done for about 2 years so I'll use this for the 'team work' section
I've also attended a masterclass at Cambridge and a week summer school at Oxford.
read a few books too :smile:
I hope this is all okay, just really hoping that my ukcat is in that 7th decile...

Thank you for replying! :biggrin:

That sounds good... for the caring role section of the NAI form i think you should be able to use the 2 months at a primary school
Original post by Mehhhh
We are given a scenario at the start of the week (e.g. man seeing his GP due to long term breathlessness, coughing -> obviously in a lot more detail) and we form questions related to the scenario which we aim to answer by the end of the week (e.g. Why is the patient breathless? What is COPD?). We use lectures, resources available online and textbooks to answer these questions. There are ILOs, which are like A Level specifications, which list exactly what we need to know by the end of the week (e.g. anatomy of the pleura, physiology of COPD, etc) and can be used to supplement the questions (used as a guidance really).

Ohh right, how often do you have lectures and patient contact? Do you get any support in the PBL sessions?
Reply 73
Original post by khookie
Ohh right, how often do you have lectures and patient contact? Do you get any support in the PBL sessions?

During PBL sessions (which are twice per week) we have a tutor who sits and listens to our discussions. Sometimes the tutor can intervene if they feel that we are missing something or stuck on a certain question.

7 lectures per week. During years 1 and 2, we have 3 1-day placements per semester (so 6 placements per year). 3 of those placements are at a GP, and the other 3 at a hospital. That's all the patient contact you'd get for years 1 and 2 :smile:
Reply 74
Thought I'd try to restart the thread - anyone else applying for Manchester now they've got AS/UKCAT results??
Original post by Izzy.wd
Thought I'd try to restart the thread - anyone else applying for Manchester now they've got AS/UKCAT results??

Yep, 685, 2.1
Reply 76
Original post by singhaman
Yep, 685, 2.1

What's the 2.1?
Original post by Izzy.wd
What's the 2.1?

I am a graduate student, my degree is 2.1
Original post by Mehhhh
During PBL sessions (which are twice per week) we have a tutor who sits and listens to our discussions. Sometimes the tutor can intervene if they feel that we are missing something or stuck on a certain question.

7 lectures per week. During years 1 and 2, we have 3 1-day placements per semester (so 6 placements per year). 3 of those placements are at a GP, and the other 3 at a hospital. That's all the patient contact you'd get for years 1 and 2 :smile:

Thank you :smile: What year are you in now?
Hey guys,

I know it's super duper early but i thought i'd set this up so that anyone who is hoping to apply for medicine at manchester this year can discuss any issues or get advice from fellow TSRians!

Now remember Manchester is PBL and supports your learning through lectures, early clinical placements, simulation sessions, anatomy dissection etc...

Also Manchester is a UKCAT heavy university. They have a UKCAT cut off for interview usually around the 60th - 70th percentile so you need to do well in your UKCAT!

So we can start by posting some stats...
Gcse: 7A* 2A 1B 1C

If anyone has any questions about manchester please post them... i might be able to answer some as i have already done some research into this university :smile:

There are no other threads that I can find which answer my questions for applications in dentistry. Would these GCSE's suffice.

Are my GCSE results good enough for denta lc uorcses

Maths:A*
English Language:A/7
English Literature:B/6
Geography:A
R.E:A
Biology:A
Chemistry:A
Physics:A
History:B
Further Maths:B
P.E: C

Thank you, (I'm lacking in A*'s, but I was wondering whether I dentistry universities would allow a biology resit as I was very ill for the last two biology exams).

Latest

Trending

Trending