The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What is Manchester like as a city?

I've been reviewing the courses of the universities I'm thinking of and Manchester has a good Physics course. However, I wanna know more about the city. I think it's too late for an open day, since I'm applying for Oxbridge.

Is Manchester a nice city? Is it noisy? Is it an "urban jungle"?
Just tell me what you think of it.
It's nicer than most northern cities (spoken like a true southerner, I know I'm sorry) but yes it's busy and noisy like London because it's still a big ass city.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
It's nicer than most northern cities (spoken like a true southerner, I know I'm sorry) but yes it's busy and noisy like London because it's still a big ass city.

Heh. That's a problem for me. I really don't like London (hence why I'm not applying to it), so I'm wary of universities that could be big and noisy like London.
Do you know if Leeds is similar?
Original post by Heirio
I've been reviewing the courses of the universities I'm thinking of and Manchester has a good Physics course. However, I wanna know more about the city. I think it's too late for an open day, since I'm applying for Oxbridge.

Is Manchester a nice city? Is it noisy? Is it an "urban jungle"?
Just tell me what you think of it.

Well it's a city so it has good restaurants and bad restaurants, it's drug dealer and it's own prices for ice cream e.g. in my area (near London, but not London) you pay £1.60 for ice cream without flake but in Birmingham you pay 80p.

Well hopefully the Ice cream is Manchester is cheap... :wink:
Best city.
Reply 5
Original post by Heirio
Heh. That's a problem for me. I really don't like London (hence why I'm not applying to it), so I'm wary of universities that could be big and noisy like London.

I live near Leeds its not noisy.
Original post by Heirio

Never been to Leeds but I imagine it's got a different and less busy perception/atmosphere since it has more students and fewer people but I really don't know.
Reply 7
Manchester is a nice place where there is city-life and scenic park to relax. I was there a year and I totally enjoyed the life there ! Go there and make friends ! I believed you will definitely feel the same way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending