The Student Room Group

public speaking/presentation anxiety

I used to be able to read confidently in front of the whole class I guess I could say I was the 'class clown' for a while up until year 9. I dont really know why, I have my reasons why I could have developed this phobia of public speaking but im not 100% sure. Anyway, I just want to try overcome or get rid of this fear/phobia and was looking for suggestions?

Also please feel free to tell me your past experiences of public speaking
I think practice really helps me get over this phobia and having more experience to do with public speaking. Maybe try joining a debating society or something?
Reply 2
Original post by ArcaneMists
I think practice really helps me get over this phobia and having more experience to do with public speaking. Maybe try joining a debating society or something?

its a thought but regardless of my public speaking anxiety i dont even know what to say at a debating society and i dont really know what happens at a debating society, could you give me some insight please
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I used to be able to read confidently in front of the whole class I guess I could say I was the 'class clown' for a while up until year 9. I dont really know why, I have my reasons why I could have developed this phobia of public speaking but im not 100% sure. Anyway, I just want to try overcome or get rid of this fear/phobia and was looking for suggestions?

Also please feel free to tell me your past experiences of public speaking

As the above poster has suggested, are there any extra-cirricular activities that your school puts on that would encourage you to get up and speak in front of people? :smile: Does your school ever need volunteers for things like open evenings that you get involved with too?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
its a thought but regardless of my public speaking anxiety i dont even know what to say at a debating society and i dont really know what happens at a debating society, could you give me some insight please

Another option might be practicing in front of a mirror. I might start by reading small pieces of text from a book and then progress to practicing a presentation and then a debate pre planned script thing whereby I write out my side of the debate and any rebuttals that I can think of. It may seem silly/weird to begin with but it tends to ease and can be really rewarding.
Reply 5
Something that helps me is remembering that even the most confident sounding speakers experience anxiety. In fact, last year I attended a business conference and listened to a great speaker who was engaging and funny...their hands shook the whole time but they spoke clearly and with apparent ease. To help with anxiety when speaking, you can use your breath control to slow your speech down. It might feel a bit unnatural at first but that is because your anxiety wants you to speak quickly to get it over faster. What it actually comes out as is regular speech
I practice several times before a presentation. I'm learning how to pronounce my words better as well so people can understand me since I have a bad Midland accent. When I know I know the material I'm not nervous, but the whole thing is a bother to me still.
Reply 7
Original post by Holoha
Another option might be practicing in front of a mirror. I might start by reading small pieces of text from a book and then progress to practicing a presentation and then a debate pre planned script thing whereby I write out my side of the debate and any rebuttals that I can think of. It may seem silly/weird to begin with but it tends to ease and can be really rewarding.

Ok I will try that as I have to go up and read a small speech on monday, I was suppose to do it today but luckily I didn't get chosen, hopefully this will alleviate this fear, I doubt it will without any drug that reduces/prevents anxiety.
I used to have exactly the same problem as you and i think it really just boils down to anxiety. I know it might be painful, but volunteer in school to do readings or present work. It’s not public speaking per se, but it does help when speaking in front of a group, however small or large that may be. Remember to breathe. I find that taking a few deep breaths before a speech makes me more calm and composed. Also don’t be scared to make mistakes. On the chance you do make a mistake, close your eyes for a second or two to recollect your thoughts, then carry on. When you feel confident enough, join clubs like debate or Model UN. You don’t need to be the best speaker to join such clubs. In my experience, they welcome everyone and senior members are likely to be willing to help others with their speaking skills.

Quick Reply

Latest