The Student Room Group

Police in Brighton hunting for man who looks at people.

'POLICE are urging anyone who saw a man staring at a woman in the street to come forward.'

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15533585.Fresh_police_appeal_over____staring_man___/

How is this a good use of police time? Complete joke.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Glassapple
'POLICE are urging anyone who saw a man staring at a woman in the street to come forward.'

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15533585.Fresh_police_appeal_over____staring_man___/

How is this a good use of police time? Complete joke.

Moved to News and current affairs for you :smile:
Reply 2
Protecting vulnerable person/s a joke? You're going on what you have read on a small time newspaper article who have very limited information.

There's clearly a lot more to it which the police know and won't release to the public. They are only issuing the appeal because they need assistance in finding him; therefore it is highly likely he needs to be spoken to about something important.
Original post by oneocean
Protecting vulnerable person/s a joke? You're going on what you have read on a small time newspaper article who have very limited information.

There's clearly a lot more to it which the police know and won't release to the public. They are only issuing the appeal because they need assistance in finding him; therefore it is highly likely he needs to be spoken to about something important.

None of these people are 'vulnerable', they are women who are walking home from the pub mentioned in the article. If there's a lot more to it then the police should release that information to give people more of an incentive to look for this man (as well as getting people to be more vigilant about their own safety). Oh wait, there clearly isn't anything else, he hasn't broken any laws at all.
Reply 4
None of these people are 'vulnerable', they are women who are walking home from the pub mentioned in the article. If there's a lot more to it then the police should release that information to give people more of an incentive to look for this man (as well as getting people to be more vigilant about their own safety). Oh wait, there clearly isn't anything else, he hasn't broken any laws at all.

You're just going on what you think, rather than police intelligence.

As someone who works in the area, I can assure you that there is likely far more to it. With the thousands of complaints police receive, public appeals are only made when there is a necessity

So you don't think the woman who was raped was vulnerable?

Common sense would tell the dimmest of us that there is more to this case than what is publically released.
You're just getting your balls in a twist over nothing. Silly sausage.
Reply 6
Have you actually read the article? I've only just looked at it.

There have been a series of incidents reported to the police, so clearly more than just the incident where the male was staring.

- Females workers walking home alone
- Recent incident whereby a female was pushed to the ground and threatened with rape
- Recent incident whereby another female was followed by a male in a mini
- Further incidents that the police have not released

I'd say there was a pretty strong case to appeal for witnesses to try and identify the male to speak to him. If a female was attacked or rape, the public would scream "the police haven't done anything! we reported it to the police and they didn't investigate!"

The female who was involved was obviously concerned enough to contact the police.
Original post by Twinpeaks
So you don't think the woman who was raped was vulnerable?

Common sense would tell the dimmest of us that there is more to this case than what is publically released.
You're just getting your balls in a twist over nothing. Silly sausage.

Original post by oneocean
Have you actually read the article? I've only just looked at it. There have been a series of incidents reported to the police, so clearly more than just the incident where the male was staring. - Females workers walking home alone - Recent incident whereby a female was pushed to the ground and threatened with rape - Recent incident whereby another female was followed by a male in a mini - Further incidents that the police have not released I'd say there was a pretty strong case to appeal for witnesses to try and identify the male to speak to him. If a female was attacked or rape, the public would scream "the police haven't done anything! we reported it to the police and they didn't investigate!" The female who was involved was obviously concerned enough to contact the police.

The rape was in a completely different part of Brighton to where the rest of the article is talking about, it's silly they're trying to link the two. Someone stares at people in another part of the city months after the rape, so he must be the rapist?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
It's not saying he's the rapist, but it was someone that a female was concerned enough about to ring the police to report it. It's the police's duty to look into things. Particularly, if several incidents have been reported, and it concerns vulnerable women - which it does, in a night time economy where females are alone and there have been previous sexual incidents.

Police are damned if they do and damned if they don't - it's the nature of the job.
I just have one thing to say, a person isn't vulnerable because they are a woman. I should know, I am a vulnerable person by law as a minor under the care of local authority. I know of all the advantages and disadvantages. Being a woman alone does not make you vulnerable.
Just because there has been an attack doesn't mean you can't start looking for every man that looks at a women funny. They should be looking for the attacker, not some random who looked at someone funny. Total waste of time. Can't judge someone before proving them guilty.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Maybe if men didn't rape, we wouldn't have to be so careful about creeps who stare at people?

they don't.Criminals rape people. Most men have never raped anyone.If you are not allowed to stare at people now then you may as well just imprison the entire population of the UK. Assuming of course that this is in fact still the UK and we didn't transform into north korea overnight.
Jesus Christ... if any of you lived in the North or Scotland you would literally die. People look at each other, smile, and say "hi" in passing on the street all the time.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Maybe if men didn't rape, we wouldn't have to be so careful about creeps who stare at people?

Are you a woman?
The article is confusing the hell out of me. I'm not at all sure how staring man is related to rapist man, cream mini man and "another member of the public" man.

If I'm looking out for staring man, is that cause he is the rapist or...? help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending