The Student Room Group

What A levels options should I take?

Hi, I'm very confused on what options to take for A level and the right combinations. I'm very interested in Science and I'm looking at Archeology and Anthropology courses as well as things related like Human political and social sciences. I've already decided to do Biology and Chemistry and I'm really would like to take English Literature as well. However my fourth subject is the one I'm worried about. I'm extremely interested in Psychology however have not done it previously at GCSE. Maths and History are also options. The only thing is with Maths it's not my strongest subject and the History topics we will be studying are ones I don't necessarily enjoy as they are modern history instead of ancient history and classical civilisations. Would really appreciate your help! Thank you.
For Archaeology you should take History. Its also useful for Anthropology. It doesn't matter that it is 'modern' history. It shows you are actually interested in the past, and how to study it.

For Social Sciences, you may need to study a relevant subject like Sociology, Politics or Economics.

More advice here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_guide_to_choosing_your_sixth-form_subjects
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ameliafx
Hi, I'm very confused on what options to take for A level and the right combinations. I'm very interested in Science and I'm looking at Archeology and Anthropology courses as well as things related like Human political and social sciences. I've already decided to do Biology and Chemistry and I'm really would like to take English Literature as well. However my fourth subject is the one I'm worried about. I'm extremely interested in Psychology however have not done it previously at GCSE. Maths and History are also options. The only thing is with Maths it's not my strongest subject and the History topics we will be studying are ones I don't necessarily enjoy as they are modern history instead of ancient history and classical civilisations. Would really appreciate your help! Thank you.

I've applied to do anthropology at uni and currently have offers from 4/5 choices. History and Biology are probably the most useful subjects I'm studying at A level in terms of what I'll be doing next year. We do modern history as well but I actually prefer it to ancient history..

Psychology isn't super well respected but it kind of plays into anthropology a little (as it's about human behaviour) so it may be useful. I can't see it setting you back in your application tbh, so if you are interested in it that's the subject I'd recommend, especially as your other 3 options are all strong subjects (therefore you don't necessarily need History to be a strong applicant, except maybe for Archaeology courses?).

If Maths isn't a strong subject for you I wouldn't take it, unless there's a chance you'll want to do something strongly biology/chemistry related at uni.
History sounds like a good option tbh, I have a friend who is doing it and absolutely loves it and finds it really interesting. Plus it is very well-respected by universities and it complements your already chosen subjects well. Good luck choosing. xx
Reply 4
I m extremely very interested in LAW... I have done Urdu in my A levels, but I need two more strong subjects for my university career.. plz suggest
Original post by Meer01
I m extremely very interested in LAW... I have done Urdu in my A levels, but I need two more strong subjects for my university career.. plz suggest

Law doesnt require specific subjects - just high grades. So you need to pick 2 other subjects where you feel confident of high grades (and that is usually the subjects you enjoy the most). An 'essay based subject' like History, English, Politics or Sociology is a good idea as you will need these skills for Law, but if your other 2 best subjects are 2 sciences, that is totally okay.

PS. Also, be careful about having done an A level early. Some Unis want 3 subjects in the same 2 year A level course to prove you have 'academic stamina' - having a previous A level is fine but you will need to take 3 subjects now, not just 2.

Quick Reply

Latest