The Student Room Group

Is Warwick still a credible alternative to Oxbridge?

Context: I'm applying for maths 2018 at Oxford/Warwick/Bath/Durham, and planning to do a year abroad where possible (everywhere but Ox.) I'm also very keen to carry on studying languages, doing sport and playing music

I've done a bit of digging and it seems that 10ish years ago, Warwick maths was seen in some cases as second only to Cambridge, so it would be worth going there instead of Oxford (assuming I get offers). However, Warwick has since then sunk in the league tables.

Question: Is this still the case? Or would it be stupid to choose Warwick over Oxford? Do Oxbridge students actually have time to do languages and sport and music?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In terms of research Warwick very much stands with Oxbridge, but given my personal experience with the undergraduate course so far I struggle to imagine that it is as challenging as Oxford's. You certainly have time to do a lot of extracurricular stuff at Warwick. Hell, you can take massive language modules for credit.

Original post by georgieb42
Context: I'm applying for maths 2018 at Oxford/Warwick/Bath/Durham, and planning to do a year abroad where possible (everywhere but Ox.) I'm also very keen to carry on studying languages, doing sport and playing music

I've done a bit of digging and it seems that 10ish years ago, Warwick maths was seen in some cases as second only to Cambridge, so it would be worth going there instead of Oxford (assuming I get offers). However, Warwick has since then sunk in the league tables.

Question: Is this still the case? Or would it be stupid to choose Warwick over Oxford? Do Oxbridge students actually have time to do languages and sport and music?
Reply 2
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
In terms of research Warwick very much stands with Oxbridge, but given my personal experience with the undergraduate course so far I struggle to imagine that it is as challenging as Oxford's. You certainly have time to do a lot of extracurricular stuff at Warwick. Hell, you can take massive language modules for credit.

So an Ox mathematician will end up significantly better than a Warwick one?
Reply 3
So an Ox mathematician will end up significantly better than a Warwick one?

On average I would expect this to be the case. However this is just based on my own potentially faulty perceptions. I do not consider myself talented in maths and yet I have so far received strong firsts in my first two years at Warwick without a great deal of effort. Perhaps it would be the same at Oxford; since I haven't studied there I don't know for sure.
remember, league tables are comprised of many different things such as student satisfaction. negative scores here really can damper league table performance.

however, in terms of just mathematics degrees, in my opinion (and many others share this) the order goes kind of like this

1) Cambridge
2) oxford
GAP
3) imperial/ Warwick
Reply 5
Original post by MathMan+C
remember, league tables are comprised of many different things such as student satisfaction. negative scores here really can damper league table performance.

however, in terms of just mathematics degrees, in my opinion (and many others share this) the order goes kind of like this

1) Cambridge
2) oxford
GAP
3) imperial/ Warwick

How marginal is the gap? My thinking is that if it's small it may be worth the compromise to gain extra skills, experience etc
Reply 6
On average I would expect this to be the case. However this is just based on my own potentially faulty perceptions. I do not consider myself talented in maths and yet I have so far received strong firsts in my first two years at Warwick without a great deal of effort. Perhaps it would be the same at Oxford; since I haven't studied there I don't know for sure.

Is there any way to make the course more challenging then? idk extra credit or something maybe
Reply 7
Is there any way to make the course more challenging then? idk extra credit or something maybe

It is very very flexible so one can easily take a bunch of hard modules (personally I find the physics ones very difficult but that's probably just me) if they so desire. And while there are quite a few strong marks a lot of people, despite their strings of A*s and 1 in STEP or whatever, find they aren't as comfortable with uni maths as they were with A-level - it is a very different beast of course. Otherwise everyone would get a first lol. So I wouldn't say my experience is the average one.
Reply 8
Nothing can ever be an alternative to oxbridge, at least not any uk uni
Reply 9
Original post by hannah00
just yesterday my manager at JP Morgan was talking how HR sent him a CV from someone who got a first from Warwick and he used it wipe his a****

Oxbridge
LSE
Gap
Imperial
Russell Group
Higher apprenticeships
Times 40-Times 20
gap
other unis

I mean? Warwick is Russell group and statistically it's one of the best if not the best for employment so I wasn't super concerned about that lol
especially since I'm a pure maths gal not finance
Reply 10
Original post by desaf1
Nothing can ever be an alternative to oxbridge, at least not any uk uni

got any evidence or back up for that?
Reply 11
Original post by hannah00
just yesterday my manager at JP Morgan was talking how HR sent him a CV from someone who got a first from Warwick and he used it wipe his a****

Oxbridge
LSE
Gap
Imperial
Russell Group
Higher apprenticeships
Times 40-Times 20
gap
other unis

well someone's manager is a literal moron
Original post by Gunjo
well someone's manager is a literal moron

got any evidence or back up for that?

No evidence is really needed. The fact that you can only apply to one of Oxford or Cambridge, the fact that they're the two universities represented most in Law and other highly selective careers, the fact that they're widely seen as the two best universities in the UK with no equals: There is really no credible alternative to Oxbridge.

Warwick stands in good stead with the likes of Durham and Bristol. Oxbridge has no equal in the UK. (I'm talking about the universities as a whole, not individual departments)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Pidge Gunderson
No evidence is really needed. The fact that you can only apply to one of Oxford or Cambridge, the fact that they're the two universities represented most in Law and other highly selective careers, the fact that they're widely seen as the two best universities in the UK with no equals: There is really no credible alternative to Oxbridge.

Warwick stands in good stead with the likes of Durham and Bristol. Oxbridge has no equal in the UK.

Yes, I accept that's true for the vast majority of subjects, but my question is specifically about maths
Yes, I accept that's true for the vast majority of subjects, but my question is specifically about maths

Warwick has an outstanding Maths department. You'd be lucky to attend any of COWI (Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick or Imperial) for Maths really.

I still think that Oxbridge are the two best universities for Maths. Their courses are just downright disgustingly hard. Warwick students seem to have plenty of free time; can't say I've heard the same for Oxbridge students.

The gap isn't really huge; but if you're ever thinking of a career outside of research, you'd be better off at Oxford.
You don't get a huge amount of spare time doing Maths at Warwick. The timetable is pretty full and there is a lot of work to do. Especially if you are after a First. I think there is a lot of module choice there in Years 2 and 3 especially though which was one of the standout features. Obviously if you are going to get into either Oxford or Cambridge take the place. If not Warwick is going to stretch you.

Anyone getting nearly 90% taking 120 CATS of maths is going to do similarly well at Cambridge or Oxford. Most mathematicians have an inferiority complex including the best, I can tell you that the Cambridge pure maths problem sets are really not harder than Warwick ones given I used both to revise with a friend at Cambridge Maths. You are far far from the average, the Warwick UG course is not that easy (I'll grant that first year is easier than the other 3 which I don't understand, but 2nd onwards definitely not).

COWI in that order seems reasonable for best maths places but if you want to do pure maths, then Oxford and Warwick are better places to be, applied the other 2 (just look at 4th year courses offered).

For job prospects, Oxbridge for sure, but if it is a prestige game you want to play, you can never win. Count yourself lucky if you get into any of COWI imo, very little separates them.

I know many Warwick students with no free time, any many oxbridge students with tons of free time. It really depends on you as a person and how you work, don't think it attests that well to the difficulty of the courses.
(edited 6 years ago)
just follow this:

1) apply to oxford/Cambridge, Warwick, imperial, an insurance, and another uni of your choice

2)did you get an oxbridge offer? if yes ACCEPT THE OFFER

3) did you get rejected by oxbridge but got imperial or Warwick? then accept the one you prefer best based on location or other soft factors as there is not much difference between them

Oxbridge are unequivocally the strongest (with Cambridge being slightly better), however imp/warwick are the next best thing. these four unis have THE strongest mathematics departments in the country, final.

one thing to note about imperial, (what i have heard from friends there), the optional module choices arent that broad, whereas warwick has a larger variety. When choosing your courses you should always look at the modules to see if you have an interest in certain areas as all courses are unique.
Personally I think it's light years below Oxbridge but if you can't get into Oxbridge then it's probably the best you're gonna get reputation-wise (for maths), with the possible exception of Imperial. Its UG course is neither particularly impressive nor challenging though.

Quick Reply

Latest