The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Help me please!

Let me give you the rundown (be prepared), I have very bad anxiety and I overthink so any decision making affects my sanity significantly, please keep this in mind. I am thinking of studying Eng lit or Theology (w/ ethics and philosophy):

Eng - I am not the most well read and I haven't read as much as I used to more recently due to the tress of exams etc. I still love books but whenever I speak to someone thinking of doing english/who does english they talk about how their passion for novels is what made them want to do it. Also, what is the exams like at uni? I love contemporary texts and exploring themes, particularly: gender and patriarchy as well as race. Postcolonial novels are quite fascinating. Not a fan of poetry and definitely not medieval text but I'm hoping medieval isn't a constant thing throughout the course. Also I've always liked history so I know a lot of research on context is part of English.

Theology: I've always been good at RS and I do enjoy the subject. I'm not sure if Philosophy at uni would f with my head though, especially the complexity of arguments with words I don't get. I never thought to study theology before and I'm not sure if it would bore me?

I've legit done all the research you're meant to but I can't commit and nothing really stands out to me, I feel a levels have drained all the passion I had. I take eng lit, rs and socio at a level. I'm hoping to go into teaching following uni (not sure primary or secondary). I dropped history as the topics didn't appeal to me but I loooooved it at GCSE
If you like teaching, have you considered doing teaching or education studies as a degree?

I did Theology at Leeds and found it really interesting. We learnt about the different religions, history of socio-political context, the religious texts and their themes, religion in modern times and the philosophy of God. We also did coursework around Leeds attending religious events. My degree was not just religion but a lot of different things. We also had the chance to do electives, so depending on which uni you go to, perhaps you could a combination of two, or joint honours.

Also a lot of it comes down to the modules you choose. You can pick the classes that interest you the most.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
If you like teaching, have you considered doing teaching or education studies as a degree?

I did Theology at Leeds and found it really interesting. We learnt about the different religions, history of socio-political context, the religious texts and their themes, religion in modern times and the philosophy of God. We also did coursework around Leeds attending religious events. My degree was not just religion but a lot of different things. We also had the chance to do electives, so depending on which uni you go to, perhaps you could a combination of two, or joint honours.

Also a lot of it comes down to the modules you choose. You can pick the classes that interest you the most.

I think a teaching degree may be too restrictive? I'd rather gain a real passion for a course and also because I'm the most indecisive person you'll meet, not sure If I could commit to teaching profession now?
Original post by itsaaliyaa
Let me give you the rundown (be prepared), I have very bad anxiety and I overthink so any decision making affects my sanity significantly, please keep this in mind. I am thinking of studying Eng lit or Theology (w/ ethics and philosophy):

Eng - I am not the most well read and I haven't read as much as I used to more recently due to the tress of exams etc. I still love books but whenever I speak to someone thinking of doing english/who does english they talk about how their passion for novels is what made them want to do it. Also, what is the exams like at uni? I love contemporary texts and exploring themes, particularly: gender and patriarchy as well as race. Postcolonial novels are quite fascinating. Not a fan of poetry and definitely not medieval text but I'm hoping medieval isn't a constant thing throughout the course. Also I've always liked history so I know a lot of research on context is part of English.

Theology: I've always been good at RS and I do enjoy the subject. I'm not sure if Philosophy at uni would f with my head though, especially the complexity of arguments with words I don't get. I never thought to study theology before and I'm not sure if it would bore me?

I've legit done all the research you're meant to but I can't commit and nothing really stands out to me, I feel a levels have drained all the passion I had. I take eng lit, rs and socio at a level. I'm hoping to go into teaching following uni (not sure primary or secondary). I dropped history as the topics didn't appeal to me but I loooooved it at GCSE

It sounds like you're pretty passionate about english to me :smile: you cant like every part of every subject, but I would look on university websites course details to see what subjects you will study!

I can only speak for A level RE and Philosophy, they definitely do f with your head :P fascinating ideas, dont get me wrong, but you gotta think outside the box 24/7. Im sure youre good at writing, which is definitely needed so you might be alright with the debating!

Hope this helps a bit haha, good luck deciding!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending