The Student Room Group

How much truth is there to college stereotypes?

I am considering Wadham, but I am worried I might feel left out as I don't fit into the stereotypes? Same with Oriel,Brasenose which also have a stereotype
The only true stereotype is that they all got good grades in their A-level exams :wink:
Wadham (very left wing)
Oriel (Right wing)
Some college are also stereotyped as having very posh students

Original post by artful_lounger
The only true stereotype is that they all got good grades in their A-level exams :wink:

I hope I can fit that stereotype xD
Wadham is quite left wing yes, however I doubt people are going to force their political views upon you and you shouldn't choose a college based on not fitting a stereotype as they're probably not true. By left wing they mean left wing for Oxfords standards, like having a good LGBT presence and vegan options - not a communist state within Oxford. Oriel being right wing is honestly not something I've heard of, again, I doubt it'll be an extreme version - i feel these things are quite trivial. Elite perhaps, but isn't that Oxfords entire stereotype? And we know that isn't strictly true. So just pick a college you like the look of, don't over analyse!
The politics of each college tend to shift around from year to year, depending on who is making waves, the JCR elections, etc, etc. The reputations tend to be based on certain 'celebrated' years or the results of active PR by some activist or other at particular points. The academics in colleges represent a longer term politics, but there is no particular reason why as a student you have to get in line with that. So basically, you can ignore the stereotypes, they are at best a vague description and often just irrelevant.
Original post by SuperHuman98
I am considering Wadham, but I am worried I might feel left out as I don't fit into the stereotypes? Same with Oriel,Brasenose which also have a stereotype

Hello - you mentioned Brasenose, so we've responded to your post.

Funnily enough we wrote a report on the new Fresher intake last week using the word stereotype (!). Here's the relevant section:

"If the stereotypical Oxford UK student is an independently educated undergraduate drawn from the most affluent households located in London or the South East, only nine Freshers out of 106 fall into this category (8.5% of the total and 10.5% of UK students)."

We are not sure if this is the stereotype you feel applies to Brasenose and would be interested in learning more.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by rosie.mn
By left wing they mean left wing for Oxfords standards, like having a good LGBT presence and vegan options - not a communist state within Oxford.

It's worth noting that, in a 2015 survey of voting intentions of students at leading British universities, Oxford was one of the more left-wing institutions. So "left wing for Oxford's standards" doesn't mean what a lot of people might think it does! I think you might be surprised by how many communists there are in Oxford.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BJack
It's worth noting that, in a 2015 survey of voting intentions of students at leading British universities, Oxford was one of the more left-wing institutions. So "left wing for Oxford's standards" doesn't mean what a lot of people might think it does! I think you might be surprised by how many communists there are in Oxford.

Well I hope to join them then! This is really nice to know. I often feel like I would be ostracised in this environment for my Marxist views but it's nice to know that there is a wider political spectrum in Oxford than one might think. We are all sucked in by these stereotypes, it's sad really
Wadham (very left wing)
Oriel (Right wing)
Some college are also stereotyped as having very posh students

Yeah, the stereotypes you've mentioned are kind of true. Whatever the reasons the stereotypes came about in the first place, it makes sense that they persist; left-leaning people hear that Wadham is more lefty, so that's where they apply, etc. There are plenty of people who 'don't fit the stereotype' at any given college, though.

From the people I've met, actually a lot of people at Wadham do fit the stereotype, but I haven't found that with Oriel/Brasenose or any other college tbh.
I kind of feel like there are 'positive' stereotypes that people actively try to live up to and hence self=perpetuate (e.g. left wing) and negative stereotypes which are more based on rumours and behind-the-back gossip e.g. 'right wing'. Someone who is actually expressing genuinely right wing views is going to be significantly outnumbered by the larger number of marxists, corbynites etc. At least in my experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending