The Student Room Group

No friends starting college Y12

It’s been my first week and a bit at college and I haven’t made friends with anybody. Everyone already looks like they’ve made friends apart from a few people who I’ve spoken to and most of them are very strange.
I’ve joined a science club which starts soon but I thinkit will be more work focused than actually social.
I’m shy and nervous so when I speak to people I feel a bit awkward and don’t know what to do when they don’t bother making effort at conversation back. I’m worried it’s going to be just like my school experience repeated where I was always by myself.

Does anybody have any idea how to help?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
It’s been my first week and a bit at college and I haven’t made friends with anybody. Everyone already looks like they’ve made friends apart from a few people who I’ve spoken to and most of them are very strange.
I’ve joined a science club which starts soon but I think it will be more work focused than actually social.
I’m shy and nervous so when I speak to people I feel a bit awkward and don’t know what to do when they don’t bother making effort at conversation back. I’m worried it’s going to be just like my school experience repeated where I was always by myself.

Hey, I was in this exact situation last year.
As an anxious person myself, I totally get where you're coming from. The thing I found about college is it's really different to school in the sense that there's always someone around. It is tough to put yourself deliberately into social situations (esp as an anxious person, I know I felt forceful myself) but it always works out in the long run. During my first month of college, the people I spoke to were also kind of odd, and I felt as if everyone already had their groups too. This was not the case, it just seemed like it. Which A-levels are you taking? Even talking to the people in your classes about the subject itself can work wonders. Say, for example, you're taking history. You can always ask the people around you something about the time frame you're studying. Keep it lighthearted to begin with, and it will all work out.
The people you want to surround yourself with will find you naturally. I was lonely all through secondary too, but it's much much easier to make friends at college than it is at school. The majority of the people who attend will be there because they genuinely enjoy and love their subjects, as I'm sure you know, so they're more than likely to be welcoming, especially if you have shared interests.
Although stereotypical, the main thing I will say is IT DOES GET BETTER. Don't let the first few weeks ruin your experience, it always takes a while to warm up to new people. Don't be too harsh on yourself, either! You've only just started the year, it's bound to take a little bit to get used to everything new about college.
I hope this helps you! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by katsoup
Hey, I was in this exact situation last year.
As an anxious person myself, I totally get where you're coming from. The thing I found about college is it's really different to school in the sense that there's always someone around. It is tough to put yourself deliberately into social situations (esp as an anxious person, I know I felt forceful myself) but it always works out in the long run. During my first month of college, the people I spoke to were also kind of odd, and I felt as if everyone already had their groups too. This was not the case, it just seemed like it. Which A-levels are you taking? Even talking to the people in your classes about the subject itself can work wonders. Say, for example, you're taking history. You can always ask the people around you something about the time frame you're studying. Keep it lighthearted to begin with, and it will all work out.
The people you want to surround yourself with will find you naturally. I was lonely all through secondary too, but it's much much easier to make friends at college than it is at school. The majority of the people who attend will be there because they genuinely enjoy and love their subjects, as I'm sure you know, so they're more than likely to be welcoming, especially if you have shared interests.
Although stereotypical, the main thing I will say is IT DOES GET BETTER. Don't let the first few weeks ruin your experience, it always takes a while to warm up to new people. Don't be too harsh on yourself, either! You've only just started the year, it's bound to take a little bit to get used to everything new about college.
I hope this helps you! :smile:

Thanks for the advice, I find my college is quite academic focus so and so are my options. Have spoke in class a few times but feel as though classes are just completely silent with everyone just trying to get the work done with all the new content
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve joined a science club which starts soon but I thinkit will be more work focused than actually social.

I agree with what the other poster said.
I think that joining clubs should help. The science one is a good start. And if there are any others that may interest you then join them as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending