The Student Room Group

AS Level Maths question HELP

Prove that if a number leaves a remainder 2 when it is divided by 3 then its square leaves a remainder 1 when divided by 3
Reply 1
Original post by Zain786H
Prove that if a number leaves a remainder 2 when it is divided by 3 then its square leaves a remainder 1 when divided by 3

Of course if you do this exercise using modular arithmetic it is very simple. If not then if a number x leaves a remainder of 2 when divided by 3 then it is of the form x=3y+2 where y is an integer.
So x^2=(3y+2)^2=9y^2+12y+4 and you should be able to show that this leaves a remainder of 1 when dividing by 3.
Reply 2
Original post by B_9710
Of course if you do this exercise using modular arithmetic it is very simple. If not then if a number x leaves a remainder of 2 when divided by 3 then it is of the form x=3y+2 where y is an integer.
So x^2=(3y+2)^2=9y^2+12y+4 and you should be able to show that this leaves a remainder of 1 when dividing by 3.

Thank you for the response but could you explain to me how you get x = 3y + 2 as I thought it would be
x/3 +2 as the first part
Original post by Zain786H
Thank you for the response but could you explain to me how you get x = 3y + 2 as I thought it would be
x/3 +2 as the first part

Because you divided it to get the answer, therefore you have to multiply to find the original number.
Reply 4
Original post by CCauston113
Because you divided it to get the answer, therefore you have to multiply to find the original number.

I understand now, thank you
Original post by B_9710

Could you/someone here please explain how to show it leaves a remainder of 1?
Original post by askingalevel19
Could you/someone here please explain how to show it leaves a remainder of 1?

That last expression can be rewritten as:

3[3y2+4y+1]+13 [3y^2 + 4y + 1] + 1

Quick Reply

Latest