The Student Room Group

Can I get doctors' note despite not having been to see the doctor for this period?

I have to repeat a year at university due to mental state as my mother passed away and I performed poorly on my exams/didn't even attend some of them.

The problem is that this occurred in May and I was so down, I didn't tell anyone - including the doctors.

I have a history of depression and in April, I was actually making progress and feeling better and had told my doctor this, so the last time I went to see her she has that I was doing much better on her books.

I now have to get a note from a person of formal stature explaining my circumstances and how they affected me in order to qualify for student finance for that year.

Proof of my mother's death will not cut it I've been told and I need a professional stating the impact on me.

A doctor is specifically mentioned but I didn't go to see them when she passed away (I was so down that didn't see anyone really between May-June as I couldn't face it).

Will the doctor write me this note and/or will Student Finance accept a note stating that I have general depression and anxiety (or will this not be acceptable due to timing) and I will have to find someone else (i.e. a university official) to write the note? A doctors' note would be much better.
Original post by J_89
I have to repeat a year at university due to mental state as my mother passed away and I performed poorly on my exams/didn't even attend some of them.

The problem is that this occurred in May and I was so down, I didn't tell anyone - including the doctors.

I have a history of depression and in April, I was actually making progress and feeling better and had told my doctor this, so the last time I went to see her she has that I was doing much better on her books.

I now have to get a note from a person of formal stature explaining my circumstances and how they affected me in order to qualify for student finance for that year.

Proof of my mother's death will not cut it I've been told and I need a professional stating the impact on me.

A doctor is specifically mentioned but I didn't go to see them when she passed away (I was so down that didn't see anyone really between May-June as I couldn't face it).

Will the doctor write me this note and/or will Student Finance accept a note stating that I have general depression and anxiety (or will this not be acceptable due to timing) and I will have to find someone else (i.e. a university official) to write the note? A doctors' note would be much better.

You need to ask. they will write you a note they feel comfy with, which may be enough, but they cannot attest to what they didnt witness.

Things I think they can see

1. How long they have treated you for.
2. Whether your records show treatment for depression, medication etc.
3. That your mother died.
4. That you discussed your reaction to the bereavement and your behaviour to hide away was consistent.
5. This is likely to have affected your studies.
6. That you are now on medication.

If they know you or its on your record, then its easier for them to write. They will not say what they dont believe and they cant confirm what they dont know.

The other people you could try are the local clergy or a social worker.

Back it up with other documents from the uni etc.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You need to ask. they will write you a note they feel comfy with, which may be enough, but they cannot attest to what they didnt witness.

Things I think they can see

1. How long they have treated you for.
2. Whether your records show treatment for depression, medication etc.
3. That your mother died.
4. That you discussed your reaction to the bereavement and your behaviour to hide away was consistent.
5. This is likely to have affected your studies.
6. That you are now on medication.

If they know you or its on your record, then its easier for them to write. They will not say what they dont believe and they cant confirm what they dont know.

The other people you could try are the local clergy or a social worker.

Back it up with other documents from the uni etc.

Yes, my records definitely show my history of major depression for the past few years - and my mother's illness worsening my mental health. It was only in April I attended because I had made some headway with CBT and it was showing some really positive results.

Unfortunately, I don't attend Church and I have not recently had a social worker.

My mum was making some headway in her condition earlier this year and we thought we may have a lot longer with her than expected, then she got put in respite for a week and suddenly passed away there.

Do you think the doctors' records showing the aforementioned could be sufficient?
Original post by J_89
Yes, my records definitely show my history of major depression for the past few years - and my mother's illness worsening my mental health. It was only in April I attended because I had made some headway with CBT and it was showing some really positive results.

Unfortunately, I don't attend Church and I have not recently had a social worker.

My mum was making some headway in her condition earlier this year and we thought we may have a lot longer with her than expected, then she got put in respite for a week and suddenly passed away there.

Do you think the doctors' records showing the aforementioned could be sufficient?

It depends on what the doctor feels they are prepared to say. Its better if its your regular GP and ideal one who knew your mum as well.. Its definitely helpful an gives them something to work with.
In your situation, I'd probably go to the GP, and give an honest account of what happened. And hopefully they'd be willing to write a note based on what you tell them?

Quick Reply

Latest