The Student Room Group

PPE = job??

Hey all. This is a tough one for me...

My options for entry 2007 are as follows:

* York - PPE : Unconditional offer
* Warwick - PPE : Pending
* Stockholm School of Economics - Economics : Unconditional offer

And dammit I cant choose.
Thing is. Id love to study PPE..... the two Ps in particular.. I mean I love politics and I love philosophy.

BUT

SSE is the swedish equivalent of LSE (although LSE is way better of course), and that means 90% employment rate within 3months. And decent salaries. So in sweden, within finance, management and so forth, SSE is a pretty "solid" choice. Still, SSE has got a certain rep for being bratty and all business.

PPE on the other hand.... Do you get a proper job from that? Because studying in england implies an additional expense for me equivalent of up to €10,000 a year! (most likely like €7,000)

Really, my dream is to study the MPP/ID grad programme @ JFK school of goverment.

What to do what to do??

Scroll to see replies

If you got warwick, i'd go for it, they have a really really good econ dept and the politics dept is quite good in itself. PPE is a very very good degree, one i nearly choose myself. It is also a very unique degree in the sense it combines 3 of the most fascinating disciplines in academia. People who do this degree end up in careers i.e. IB, diplomacy, civil service, law, consultancy, etc etc. The list is endless. :smile:
Reply 2
what the hell is ppe?
Reply 3
^politics, philosophy and economics :smile:
Reply 4
If you really love politics and philosophy, go for PPE. Either Warwick or York are terrific for PPE.

--another PPE app, although I ended up doing straight politics (as, I think, did browneyedboi).
yeah im doing straight politics, wish i'd picked PPE in clearing at essex, but im loving my course, and as long as i do pretty good, hopefully it will get me onto a great masters programme.

PPE is one of the best degrees you can do, and it stands out against single and joint honours students. You will get a proper job in anything as long as you can succeed in the subject and you truly enjoy it. As I posted above, people embarking on such an intellectually rigorous degree and do well, end up in very high profile jobs. You can even do a PPE masters at York.
Reply 6
Is PPE from York/Durham going to get you into top jobs? Which is better for employment prospects (I'm trying to pick an insurance).
PPE from york and durham will get you an interview francy, the other part is down to you. The uni you go to does not pass numeracy and verbal tests, nor interviews, nor endows you with some sort of personality. If this was the case a friend of mine with a 70% mark in maths in 1st year would not be sweating over gaining an internship. I'd say durham, but I personally like the look of York.
Reply 8
On that basis are combined honours programmes more 'respected' with employers? For example History and Politics or Politics and Philosophy over single honours politics?

Ive been abit worried about doing Politics at York in terms of employment, would I still get interviews for top jobs from this?

Thanks, really helpful thread :smile:
Reply 9
Cheers- yeah Durham sees to have the edge on overall reputation but York has better politics and economics, hence my confusion.
Personal preference then francy. Go where you will enjoy 3years of study, I'm glad I'm at QM, I'm enjoying myself and I know this will help in the long run. PPE masters at York does look v. interesting.
Reply 11
Heey, what did you choose eventually?(I know you posted this aaages ago but I have to choose between York PPE and Bocconi BIEMF quite soonish and cannot make my mind up :smile: )
Reply 12
I am currently doing PPE at York, and I can say it is very interesting. I took PPE because of the job prospects once graduated. I knew it is going to be a hard 3 years, but going to university is about getting a job after all.
Original post by Malakh

Thing is. Id love to study PPE..... the two Ps in particular.. I mean I love politics and I love philosophy.

BUT

SSE is the swedish equivalent of LSE (although LSE is way better of course), and that means 90% employment rate within 3months. And decent salaries. So in sweden, within finance, management and so forth, SSE is a pretty "solid" choice. Still, SSE has got a certain rep for being bratty and all business.

PPE on the other hand.... Do you get a proper job from that? Because studying in england implies an additional expense for me equivalent of up to €10,000 a year! (most likely like €7,000)

Really, my dream is to study the MPP/ID grad programme @ JFK school of goverment.

What to do what to do??

Check employability rates of the 3 courses. If you like studying Philosophy do a MOOC. Doing a Masters in Philosophy because you love Philosophy is a bit of an expensive interest.
Reply 14
Original post by NikRai2
I am currently doing PPE at York, and I can say it is very interesting. I took PPE because of the job prospects once graduated. I knew it is going to be a hard 3 years, but going to university is about getting a job after all.

Can you give me an idea of the work load. Do you have much spare time, and time to get a part time job and such ?
I wanted to do PPE But I was put off it when I researched and found jobs are limited 😤

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lol123456789
I wanted to do PPE But I was put off it when I researched and found jobs are limited 😤

Posted from TSR Mobile

PPE has many jobs
Reply 17
Original post by Malakh

BUT

What to do what to do??

Job prospects are not at all limited with Ppe. If you think about you have ahave 3x more than someone doing a single honours degree. Plus it's so well respected
Guys, how do you rate PPE at Kings College London?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Mikhail1710
Guys, how do you rate PPE at Kings College London?

Thanks in advance

Bump because I have the same dilemma particularly in terms of IBanking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending