The Student Room Group

who's revising for their gcse mocks???

^also how bothered are you because i can't be bothered to

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My mocks are in december so im going to start writing my notes over the half term holidays and begin revising them then after! i'm quite bothered about gcse's because i really want good grades (9's).How long do you/should i revise everyday?
Original post by sanibonani

Heres a bit of advice

Your GCSEs, even though they may not seem it, are extremely important. Because there are no more AS levels these are what Unis, along with predicted grades, will heavily consider. Being completely honest it sounds like you don't really give a **** and thats fair enough because I didn't bother with mocks either, but I 100% regret it. Come April (thats when I started revising) I changed my attitude and realised pissing about and wasting time aint an option. You should revise for them as theyre the best indication of how youre doing. Then continue all the way through to June with revision.

I ended up with what most people would dream off but I still think I could have done so much better. I crammed last minute and meant I didn't do as I wanted.

So actually revise and do well and try understand that they determine a lot of your future.

Good luck buddy
TBH I had friends like that this time last year (I'm y12 rn), and they had to scramble the Easter before the exams, whereas I started at the start of the Christmas holidays (revising for GCSEs that is), and thus the whole year was wayyyy less stressful as the revision was more spread out. Also, if for some reason you can't make it to an exam (e.g. a severe, sudden health issue), the school can use your mock to show the board what you could have gotten, so it pays to do well in your mocks just in case!
Reply 4

The more you revise for your mocks, the less material you will have to cover when you start revising for your actual GCSE tests.
I've just had my mocks. I revised quite a bit for them. I got around 4 9's, 2 8's, 1 7 and 2 6's. If you start revising now you'll make it a hell of a lot easier for yourself later on.
Hey,
im in year 12 now and this was me last year i spent months questioning as to when was too late to start proper revision and guess what i left ALL my revision to the night before every single exam.
I wasn't one of those students who listened in every lesson and took notes, my class book for every subject was blank and my teachers basically gave up on me and so did i.
Honestly, dont worry about starting revision yet, its still really early take it from me I did NONE till the night before every exam when I crammed (it works god bless cramming omg) and I came out with:
One A*
3 grade 7'S in english lit,lang and maths
and the rest a's
I passed everything sure I could've done better I know that but honestly really don't worry about starting yet it's really early.

Another thing GCSE's are not as important as your teachers make them out to be, sure you need them to get into college but that's about it so I'm not saying eff your GCSES work hard but dont stress. Chill for now
i didn't start revising until Easter and came out with 9A*s and 3As, including 9,9,8 in Lit, Maths, Lang.

For GCSEs really the key is just to be really good at regurgitating and recalling knowledge, not really the best strategy at A Level, though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by turbanator165
Heres a bit of advice

Your GCSEs, even though they may not seem it, are extremely important. Because there are no more AS levels these are what Unis, along with predicted grades, will heavily consider. Being completely honest it sounds like you don't really give a **** and thats fair enough because I didn't bother with mocks either, but I 100% regret it. Come April (thats when I started revising) I changed my attitude and realised pissing about and wasting time aint an option. You should revise for them as theyre the best indication of how youre doing. Then continue all the way through to June with revision.

I ended up with what most people would dream off but I still think I could have done so much better. I crammed last minute and meant I didn't do as I wanted.

So actually revise and do well and try understand that they determine a lot of your future.

Good luck buddy

well actually, i am bothered about my grades(targets are 9s and 8s) but not for these actual mocks (although they're going to college)- i think i's down to the fact that i would rather do anything but revision.
I should but actually can't be bothered like we've barely done half the course and my mocks are in like 3 weeks kmn
Reply 10
Original post by Thereadingpotato
Hey,
im in year 12 now and this was me last year i spent months questioning as to when was too late to start proper revision and guess what i left ALL my revision to the night before every single exam.
I wasn't one of those students who listened in every lesson and took notes, my class book for every subject was blank and my teachers basically gave up on me and so did i.
Honestly, dont worry about starting revision yet, its still really early take it from me I did NONE till the night before every exam when I crammed (it works god bless cramming omg) and I came out with:
One A*
3 grade 7'S in english lit,lang and maths
and the rest a's
I passed everything sure I could've done better I know that but honestly really don't worry about starting yet it's really early.

Another thing GCSE's are not as important as your teachers make them out to be, sure you need them to get into college but that's about it so I'm not saying eff your GCSEs work hard but dont stress. Chill for now

yeah same but with doing the new GCSEs there's not much to refer to - it's less learning information and learning exam question structures, being in the mind of an examiner, blah etc.
Reply 11
Original post by yaktastic
I should but actually can't be bothered like we've barely done half the course and my mocks are in like 3 weeks kmn

same- we haven't even started any of physics yet
Reply 12
Mocks in November.
Am I revising? Nope.
Do I plan to? Yes.
What am I doing? Procrastinating.
Help me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Nikey
I've just had my mocks. I revised quite a bit for them. I got around 4 9's, 2 8's, 1 7 and 2 6's. If you start revising now you'll make it a hell of a lot easier for yourself later on.

oh wow they're really good results
Reply 14
Original post by Exo9
Mocks in November.
Am I revising? Nope.
Do I plan to? Yes.
What am I doing? Procrastinating.
Help me.

i just eat all the time instead of doing anything else lol
I'm in year 12 now. I got 1 A* 6A's and 2B's and there is no way I would have got these grades if I hadn't worked as hard as I did in the mocks. Revise for the mocks. You will be rewarded on results day incredibly. Don't cause yourself regret. Remember- with the new system, you're competing with the rest of the country. So keep working and good luck!

(I'm sorry i sound likea nagging mum in this but honestly, it's such a good form of prep)
oh wow they're really good results

Thank you :smile:
Reply 17
i just eat all the time instead of doing anything else lol

I stress eat so because I stress all the time I eat all the time
Reply 18
My mocks start at the end of November so the half term is the last holiday I have to revise before they begin. My plan was to revise for about five hours a day, making sure that I spent at least an hour every day on the two subjects which need the most. I have most of the notes to revise from as we had mocks at the end of year 10 and I had to consolidate all my classwork for those. My mum is the typical pushy parent though and wants me to aim for eight hours each day, but that level of revision seems so unnecessary at this stage, so to answer your question as to what is motivating me at the moment its the fact that if I don't do the work I have to endure an arugement with my mum and honestly doing the revision is less effort than the arguement. Pratically though, I find that if I'm struggling to start, it helps if I allow myself to listen to the radio when I begin revision and then after I get into the flow of it the radio becomes annoying so I turn it off anyway. That way, I get more work done than if I made myself work in silence right from the start.

i meant to be revising but i have absolutely noooooo motivation whatsoever,,,,plus i find it really hard to revise so that helps when my mocks are in like less than 5 weeks

Quick Reply

Latest