The Student Room Group

right, what’s harder

chemistry or biology?

so i’m dead set on taking physics and maths, so there’s no convincing me otherwise but i’m indifferent to chem/bio.

i’m also loosely considering psychology or english lit but ANYWAYS i feel like physics isn’t really a stand-alone course and i’d like another science to complement it, keeping in mind i’m Marginally better at biology ( it seems like a weird pairing w physics, so i’m basing my decision on general difficulty at a level and workload)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
but in terms of future opportunities physics and bio sound pretty odd idk
Original post by anakarinas
but in terms of future opportunities physics and bio sound pretty odd idk

Do you know what you want to do after A-Levels?
Reply 3
Original post by Fonzworth
Do you know what you want to do after A-Levels?

nope no clue whatsoever :///
nope no clue whatsoever :///

I’d say Chemistry then. Have you considered other options like Computer Science or Further Maths? Or maybe something different like Geography?
I think the difficulty between A level chemistry and biology varies from person to person, tbh. Personally I'm much better and quicker at grasping biology content than chemistry content but know other people who find that it's the other way round for them.

There's a lot of content to learn in A level psychology like having to remember a good few research studies and core theories etc. Plus, there are a lot of essay-based questions.
Reply 6
Original post by DragonHexes
I think the difficulty between A level chemistry and biology varies from person to person, tbh. Personally I'm much better and quicker at grasping biology content than chemistry content but know other people who find that it's the other way round for them.

There's a lot of content to learn in A level psychology like having to remember a good few research studies and core theories etc. Plus, there are a lot of essay-based questions.

thank you so so much this has been really helpful, in regards to the amount of content covered in bio, is it overwhelming or manageable?
thank you so so much this has been really helpful, in regards to the amount of content covered in bio, is it overwhelming or manageable?

You're welcome. :smile:

I sat the previous A level biology specification but personally, my A level biology knowledge helped a lot with understanding the biopsychology aspects for my psychology course as they both interlinked with each other. A level maths also helped with understanding the research side of psychology as statistics was covered.

Regarding the content of the new A level biology specification, I'm not sure. But studying biology, maths and psychology as a combination helped to lessen the amount of content needing to be covered as they all interlinked with each other.
Reply 8
Original post by Fonzworth
I’d say Chemistry then. Have you considered other options like Computer Science or Further Maths? Or maybe something different like Geography?

currently i’m not taking computer science/ ict as a gcse so i don’t know how i’d cope at a level, considering the extent of my “computer skills” was making maze games on scratch at my previous school.
further maths might be a push depending on how well i cope at regular maths at a level, but it sounds like a good idea
and geography is a massive No, i’m taking it rn and ive never despised anything more, but all that aside, thank you so so much for the advice/ideas
Reply 9
You're welcome. :smile:

I sat the previous A level biology specification but personally, my A level biology knowledge helped a lot with understanding the biopsychology aspects for my psychology course as they both interlinked with each other. A level maths also helped with understanding the research side of psychology as statistics was covered.

Regarding the content of the new A level biology specification, I'm not sure. But studying biology, maths and psychology as a combination helped to lessen the amount of content needing to be covered as they all interlinked with each other.

that’s fantastic!! exactly what i needed, because i’m thinking of taking physics, maths, biology and psychology and if they overlap i’d be over the moon. just out of interest, do they all sound feasible together i’m not sure if bio and phys are a good mix
that’s fantastic!! exactly what i needed, because i’m thinking of taking physics, maths, biology and psychology and if they overlap i’d be over the moon. just out of interest, do they all sound feasible together i’m not sure if bio and phys are a good mix

I didn't study A level physics myself so I can't give an accurate opinion. Physics goes right over my head. :lol: However a few people in my maths class studied physics and said that A level maths helped to understand concepts on their physics course.

Most unis look for three A levels.
I didn't study A level physics myself so I can't give an accurate opinion. Physics goes right over my head. :lol: However a few people in my maths class studied physics and said that A level maths helped to understand concepts on their physics course.

Most unis look for three A levels.

ill probably drop to three in y13 (maybe even the first week of y12 let’s be real) but my school expects us to choose four which is a bit of a pain
Biology is easier.
Chemistry is harder but pretty much essential if you want to go straight into medicine.
Chemistry is very mathematical - expect lots of mole calculations! It depends what you think you're better at, and what you want to do at uni. Also, have you considered Further Maths? It goes very well with Maths and Physics and can give you an advantage if you want to go into engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest