The Student Room Group

Oxbridge = Inaccessible to most students?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GovernmentEarner
Then there's me, writing my PS alone guessing at the type of things they want to hear about. No interview prep except talking points through with myself and talking to one teacher who barely knows about Oxbridge. For the admissions test, I have 2 past papers available online. Probably why in my schools 50 history no-one has been accepted to Cambridge. 1 student got into Oxford 6 years ago and it's like an urban legend at my school as its so unheard of.This is somewhat OT, but TSR has a lot of helpful resources regarding PS and admissions tests (depending on subject). Have you had a look around the relevant forums?
Original post by AllonsEnfants!

It can’t be fair, for example, that some applicants to Oxbridge - just because of who they are - get special treatment.

Just to be clear: are you suggesting that private school or state school students are getting this 'special treatment'?
This is very very true. I have a family friend who got his PS written for him last year (including an SAQ statement) by some Oxbridge website. He also had 5 preparation interviews 2 were with Oxbridge tutors and 3 were with his school teachers who attended Oxbridge. He was also provided with 5 mock admission tests and MCQ preparation.

Then there's me, writing my PS alone guessing at the type of things they want to hear about. No interview prep except talking points through with myself and talking to one teacher who barely knows about Oxbridge. For the admissions test, I have 2 past papers available online.

I'm in the dark about everything. Definitely some injustice :frown:
Btw he got in and I bet I won't.

Perhaps this happens but is very rare and will have cost your friend a few thousands and if they needed that amount of coaching to get in then they will come a cropper when they actually get to Camford.

Of course it takes a place from a genuine applicant but I really think it's a tiny minority. Personally I think Oxbridge should stop allowing them to use university or college facilities. It implies they are condoned and affiliated to the universities, when they aren't.

By the way, the success rate for regular uses of the TSR Oxbridge applicants thread is better than those admissions "consultancies". :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DFranklin
This is somewhat OT, but TSR has a lot of helpful resources regarding PS and admissions tests (depending on subject). Have you had a look around the relevant forums?

But that's not the point is it? With all due respect, it's not the same as being helped by actual Oxbridge tutors.

Do you think that it is fair that some people just because of who they are, and who they know, get all the help I mentioned?
This is very very true. I have a family friend who got his PS written for him last year (including an SAQ statement) by some Oxbridge website. He also had 5 preparation interviews (I thought this was a bit excessive..) 2 were with Oxbridge tutors and 3 were with his school teachers who attended Oxbridge. He was also provided with 5 mock admission tests and MCQ preparation.

Then there's me, writing my PS alone guessing at the type of things they want to hear about. No interview prep except talking points through with myself and talking to one teacher who barely knows about Oxbridge. For the admissions test, I have 2 past papers available online. Probably why in my schools 50 history no-one has been accepted to Cambridge. 1 student got into Oxford 6 years ago and it's like an urban legend at my school as its so unheard of.

I'm in the dark about everything. Definitely some injustice :frown:
Btw he got in and I bet I won't.

I really feel for you. You're right: it's not fair.

And that's why I think the £millions they spend on telling people Oxbridge exists should be spent on training teachers properly to help people like you.
But that's not the point is it?Sorry, I take trying to help a real applicant, with real, immediate concerns, over point-scoring. Your priorities apparently differ.
Sorry, I take trying to help a real applicant, with real, immediate concerns, over point-scoring. Your priorities apparently differ.

Eh?
But that's not the point is it? With all due respect, it's not the same as being helped by actual Oxbridge tutors.

Do you think that it is fair that some people just because of who they are, and who they know, get all the help I mentioned?

Many comprehensives/sixth forms pair up with local private schools to arrange Oxbridge assistance for their pupils, including mock interviews with Oxbridge tutors. By no means all, but many do.

Also, as per my earlier comment about the commercial consultancies, the success rate for applicants who actively engage with TSR resources *is* very good.

The world is not a level playing field, and Oxbridge can do more to level it, but a good candidate without a public-school or otherwise privileged background can still be a competitive candidate. The resources are there.
Original post by Doonesbury
Perhaps this happens but is very rare and will have cost your friend a few thousands and if they needed that amount of coaching to get in then they will come a cropper when they actually get to Camford.

Of course it takes a place from a genuine applicant but I really think it's a tiny minority. Personally I think Oxbridge should stop allowing them to use university or college facilities. It implies they are condoned and affiliated to the universities, when they aren't.

By the way, the success rate for regular uses of the TSR Oxbridge applicants thread is better than those admissions "consultancies". :wink:

It did cost him a lot I believe £3,000 overall. He's a really nice guy and Oxbridge was his dream and he knew he wanted to make full use of his chances. I have been to an Oxbridge event and I spoke to over 20 applicants and none of them did this, so you're right it probably is quite rare. TSR ftw I guess haha
This is somewhat OT, but TSR has a lot of helpful resources regarding PS and admissions tests (depending on subject). Have you had a look around the relevant forums?

Yeh to be fair TSR does give me help in talking to other applicants, but I probably could use it more effectively.
Yeh to be fair TSR does give me help in talking to other applicants, but I probably could use it more effectively.
I generally help out on the maths forums, and the STEP/MAT resources there are pretty amazing when I compare to when I was an applicant. I don't know what subject you're applying for and I've no idea what it's like in other forums, but if you give a shout out for help I think there's a good chance there's someone who can do so.

I also don't want to put words in the mouths of people like Doonesbury but if you ask in this thread I think there's a fair chance that there'll be someone from Oxford/Cambridge who might try to get you some more help / past papers.
Many comprehensives/sixth forms pair up with local private schools to arrange Oxbridge assistance for their pupils, including mock interviews with Oxbridge tutors. By no means all, but many do.

I don't think they should need to pair up because the teachers should be able to do it themselves: the state education budget is huge. And the £millions Oxbridge spend on outreach would be better directed to training teachers in all aspects of the Oxbridge process so they can pass it on to all students who look to them for advice now and in the future.

Instead Oxbridge spend a lot on expensive initiatives like running Summer Schools for a week for a privileged minority (you said yourself the other day that it was harder to get onto a Summer School than into Oxbridge!). The help provided at a Summer School is limited to those lucky few who get to attend, whereas by training teachers properly the knowledge can be used to help students for many years to come.

The TSR is really great but students shouldn't need to rely on you.
I don't think they should need to pair up because the teachers should be able to do it themselves: the state education budget is huge. And the £millions Oxbridge spend on outreach would be better directed to training teachers in all aspects of the Oxbridge process so they can pass it on to all students who look to them for advice now and in the future.

Instead Oxbridge spend a lot on expensive initiatives like running Summer Schools for a week for a privileged minority (you said yourself the other day that it was harder to get onto a Summer School than into Oxbridge!). The help provided at a Summer School is limited to those lucky few who get to attend, whereas by training teachers properly the knowledge can be used to help students for many years to come.

The TSR is really great but students shouldn't need to rely on you.

You can't train a secondary school teacher to be an actual Oxbridge interviewer.

The summer schools that Oxbridge spend money on are free and arranged with UNIQ/Sutton Trust to reach those less-privileged potential applicants. (Not private schools, ideally first in family to go to university, low POLAR demographic, etc.)
Original post by J-SP
Those who take on the challenge of working in under performing schools probably have to worry more about getting their students as a group to turn up regularly and get a C in Maths/English. They will have bigger fish to fry than getting kids into Oxbridge.

Mossbourne Academy.

If Mossbourne in a deprived area can be turned from one of the worst schools in the country to one of the best, then any school can do it.
We accept that it is perfectly valid to challenge whether Oxford (or Cambridge) should be more ambitious. Both Universities also accept that access remains a significant issue.

That said, the Guardian criticism does lack some context. For example, while Oxford admits a small number of black British students the position is in fact worse at other selective Universities, according to UCAS:

http://wonkhe.com/blogs/data-university-admissions-bias/

This fact is important because the Universities listed in the above link all operate centralised admissions, which the authors of the newspaper article and other commentators advocate as a solution.

We would also point out that the survey period was 2010-15. This year, Oxford exceeded three of four its OFFA targets and is on course to achieve the other:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate/additional-info/access-agreement-target-categories?wssl=1

Lastly, although Brasenose has not (as the Guardian suggests) written to every 6th former in the UK predicted to achieve the standard offer, we have made 1,146 posts on TSR and sent 286 messages to prospective applicants. In any given year, we also typically make 250 contacts with schools (visits to a school or hosting a visit here) - there are only190 days in the school year :smile: We also write to target schools thanking them for supporting applicants and encouraging others. We would not have any issue writing direct to students and our current students we are sure would happily help with this if a school sends us names of candidates they feel would benefit. Our email is
[email protected]

While at this stage we have to focus on the current admissions round, we will certainly review the claims made and the data provided as it is in our interest to attract and recruit students with potential to excel on their chosen courses.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
The resources are there - some will have to work harder to find them rather than being told where they are. The issue for many is knowing where they are, knowing whether they are reputable, and having the confidence go even try and find them in the first place.

Training teachers isn’t as easy either. High turn over of staff and teachers who are already overloaded with work means the ability for there to be a dedicated knowledgable resource in a school is difficult. The problem is exacerbated by good teachers generally choosing to go to better schools. Those who take on the challenge of working in under performing schools probably have to worry more about getting their students as a group to turn up regularly and get a C in Maths/English. They will have bigger fish to fry than getting kids into Oxbridge.

You seem to be CAN'T DO person: stop making excuses all the time.

All schools should be good. If not, why not?
All teachers should be capable of learning the Oxbridge process.
No child should just aspire to get a C.
Students by and large turn up to good schools.

Mossbourne Academy would never have been turned around with thinking like yours.
You seem to be CAN'T DO person: stop making excuses all the time.

All schools should be good. If not, why not?
All teachers should be capable of learning the Oxbridge process.
No child should just aspire to get a C.
Students by and large turn up to good schools.

Mossbourne Academy would never have been turned around with thinking like yours.

Pick your battles! You seem to have forgotten J-SP has been consistently critical of Oxbridge in this thread...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pick your battles! You seem to have forgotten J-SP has been consistently critical of Oxbridge in this thread...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but he argues they don't spend enough.

I argue that they're spending it in the wrong way.
"Oxford and Cambridge are two institutions that do not appear to show systematic or consistent bias against black or less privileged applicants."

Well, well.:dance:
Original post by J-SP
Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

? me or allons...

I'm not being sarcastic. You have, largely rightly, been critical of Oxbridge. I don't know why they've decided to have a pop at you...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending